• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

G Joey MacDonald asks for trade

Rate this topic

LOL who the hell is joey mac? put him on waivers he'll be lucky to find a taker

Hes a solid backup goalie, and also, oh, ya know, the guy who saved our ass MANY times last year when Conklin was sucking all over the place and couldn't stop a goal to save his life.

Do you even watch Red Wings hockey? lol

I was happy to see Conks sign here last year... but his play clearly withered with the way Babcock wanted to use (or not use) him. Sure MacDonald heroically outplayed Conklin when called upon. Doesn't mean much.

This really isn't suprising after signing Gustavsson yesterday. I know we were talking about getting a different goalie in here but I wasn't sure if would happen and I wasn't sure how much confidence I had in Joey Mac, He was pretty good for us last season but as someone on here said he's to inconsistent to STAY on an NHL Roster. I hope he finds success wherever he goes and maybe we can put him in a package deal to get someone for us on D or something like that.

Edited by Dimaline312000

Guest Heaten

Joey Mac + Emmerton + Willie Coetzee + 6th for Rick Nash. Get it done, Kenny!

He did outstanding for us the previous season until he got injured. Unfortunately for him, inconsistent play and injuries will burden his trade. As much as I'd love for him to be backing up Howie still and saving the money, he is too much of a risk.

Feel bad for the guy. He finally broke out to have a good shot to be in the NHL full-time for good, then the back injury. Contrary to some thoughts in here, I thought he was ready for the backup gig for good this season and for the near future, injury issues aside. Hope it all works out for him.

Tampa's still looking for someone to back up Lindback.

Columbus is fielding a roster of goalies to overload the crease...

Same with NYI.

With Mason gone from WPG, they need someone behind Pavelec

And then there was Chicago, with their goalie rotato in much higher RPMs than ours usually is.

I don't really get all this positive vibe towards Joey Mac. he's had one fine season with Wings in 2010-11 but never put any doubt that Jimmah should be the starter,

nor that Joey himself is a solid regular backup. sure he want's a trade to have a chance to play in the NHL once in a while, I wish him luck with that, but let's not think

that he was a super-important asset in Wings organization.

best of luck, Joey, nevertheless!

MacDonald never really indicated he could be a starter, but he has proven time and time again he can handle being an NHL backup and play well enough to be the starter for stretches of time. I really hope some team takes a chance on him, he's really earned the chance and I wish it could have been with the Wings. But I don't blame him for not wanting to be buried in the AHL after his last two seasons.

In true Holland fashion, he will probably trade Joey Mac to Winnipeg for Derek Meech... Please don't!

I can actually think of worse scenario - like Lebda back form Columbus :)

I feel bad for him, but the reality is that this is a team that expects to be in the Playoffs year after year, and Joey does not have the track record to take over this team for several months if there's an injury to Jimmy. Even had he been kept as the backup, a long-term injury to Howard would've sent the Wings scrambling to pick up some type of veteran anyway (Heck, we thought we had Nabokov 2 years ago).

I know that the easy comeback to that seems to be "The Monster" has no track record as an effective NHL goalie either, but I think that's unfair. Toronto is one of the worst teams in the NHL, and moving to a good defensive system for a goalie is similar to a pitcher who moves from the NL to the AL (or from a really bad defense to an elite defense). In other words, there are external factors that play into those statistics like GAA and SV % that we assume to be objective indicators of a goalie's skill.

A wrister from the blue line into the glove and a one-timer on a 2-on-1 are both a "shot" statistically, but one is a sure save, while the other is rarely a save. And on a bad defense, you have little trust in your teammates to cover passing lanes, and there's going to be more of those "difficult" shots than on a good team. Long story short, I would not be surprised if Gustavsson ends up with a GAA closer to 2.50, and as a 20-35-game starter, he could be a pretty effective backup for the Wings if he does that.