• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Opinions if Wings have to settle for 'Plan B': Semin and Carle

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

How about this lineup?

I know it's not probable - for some reason?? - but I've been dying to see Pav and Val together ever since that ONE game in the phoenix series the post-season before last. I think that their chemistry - vision, passing, instincts - is just incredible. The best chemistry on our roster IMO. Throw Semin into that mix as well and it might be one of the, if not the, most productive lines in all the league.

Second line seems even more improbable, but is it really THAT much different than Val-Hank-Huds. Nyquist has shown me enough already, talent and effort-wise, to prove that he belongs in the top six. Moreso than Mule even. Brunner's inclusion, of course, is all based on rumor. But the rumor is he's a faster, better-shooting Hudler. So, hypothetically, it works.

Third line. Helm is your center. Not an offensive player. But the best third line center in the league according to our coach. Mule is in a low-pressure situation to produce, which he might really excel in. Sammy's got skill. Line as a hole has size. I like.

Fourth line. Abby of course centering. Tootoo of course on the right wing. Bert or Cleary on the left (one seems likely to be moved). Some mix of Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Mursak available to sub.

Defensive pairings. Not quite sure how Babs will mix these up? I'd certainly like to see Smith get a shot in the top four though. Skilled puck moving defensemen out there with our top forwards really is what generates our style of play.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,699,962; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,500,038

Parise's a beast. He's all heart, gives 100% on every shift. He's a hard, tenacious forechecker, isn't at all afraid to work the corners or the front of the net - and he'll backcheck just as hard if called upon. He's good for at least 30 goals. With Dats feeding him, he could conceivably crack 40. He's fast.

Semin is monstrously talented. I do think a change of scenery would do him good, and that he might very well thrive here. But there are a lot of question marks.

I like Parise's grit. Semin is extremely soft. Every team knows how to shut down our scoring lines: box 'em out to the perimeter.

Guest blueadams
I like Parise's grit. Semin is extremely soft. Every team knows how to shut down our scoring lines: box 'em out to the perimeter.

Good point that hasn't been mentioned. We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Good point that hasn't been mentioned. We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.

Penetrate the box? LMAO.

I'd be fine with Carle if we're adding Suter along with him. But to add only Carle? We need a top-flight blueliner. Someone elite. Carle's good - but he's not that good.

Yup I think its Suter or bust no Playoffs and it looks like the Wings are seeing the importants of a number one Dman also I say keep on pushing

I'm not too crazy on Carle, either, for the money he's going to command. Considering the reports that Detroit made an offer for Sami Salo as well, I would expect that they've got a few needs they're looking to address:

- a right handed defenseman

- preferably who adds a bit of size

- someone who plays solid D but can also move the puck

- some veteran presence wouldn't hurt, considering the relative youth of our d-corps compared to recent years

So I wouldn't be surprised at a pick up similar to Commodore, though I think since they have money to spend they might look for someone more skilled.

An example could be UFA Michael Rozsival - his most recent contract averaged a $5 million annual cap hit, but the final year of pay was only $3 mil. He can play 20 minutes a night and at 33, I think he's worthy of similar, Ericsson/Stuart kind of money. That said, I haven't heard a thing about him this off-season, so perhaps he is sitting in the weeds and expecting a big pay day once the big fish are gone.

Other and probably lesser options would be Pavel Kubina (big shot, and not sure what else...) or possibly even Jeff Finger who would definitely be a 7th defensemen, but could be had for very little considering he's a Michigan native and has been toiling in the AHL for the Marlies for the past couple of seasons.

And yes, if we can realistically get Semin at around 5mil for, say two seasons, I'd don't see many better options. On paper, that really does round the lineup out, as I'd be frankly surprised to see Brunner or Nyquist score 20 goals next season. But if he is looking to command money like Radulov's 9 mil KHL salary, I hope the Wings don't get involved in that.

It feels like if we have to go with Semin and Carle as a plan b then we are just wasting money. I'd rather just roll into the season with the defense we have and if we get murdered and miss the playoffs then fine. Wait for D and scoring worth the money.

I'd rather lose out on the playoffs first the time since forever than signing Carle and Semin as plan B. Next year the UFAs are going to be insane Weber, Getzlaf, Perry 3 guys you can build your franchise around.

I totally agree, if we don't get Suter or Parise, or make a big trade, just wait and get better players for the money next year. It will give us a chance to see what kind of players we have in Brunner, Smith, Nyquist, etc, we will probably get our asses handed to us and not make the playoffs, but this is just getting too crazy.

Don't like Carle, and while it would be nice to have cap room next year, there are other ways of doing that (signing/trading for one year deals, etc) other than taking our ball and going home.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like Carle, and while it would be nice to have cap room next year, there are other ways of doing that (signing/trading for one year deals, etc) other than taking our ball and going home.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but what about actually seeing what kind of talent we already have. Seeing what works for the future instead of signing some guys as plan b that might be a waste of money.

Regardless if we get Suter or not Holland has made some nice moves at the forward position without really investing too much money. If Brunner shows he can play in the big league a third line of Bertuzzi-Helm-Brunner gets me all sorts of excited.

That lineup is worse than last season.

What makes you think we'd get out of the first round?

What makes you think this line up would make the playoffs?

Regressed badly in defense with only a minor upgrade in offense? There is no way with that defense Detroit goes very far, and saying they may not even make the playoffs is not a stretch.

What makes you think this line up would make the playoffs?

Regressed badly in defense with only a minor upgrade in offense? There is no way with that defense Detroit goes very far, and saying they may not even make the playoffs is not a stretch.

True story, unfortunately.