• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

As much as I would love to get both Parise (Im not too sure we will) and Suter (I am optimistic) , I would not mind us picking up Semin and Carle if we needed to.
I feel that both could fit very well into this line up.
Semin playing with Datsyuk was scary good at the World Championships and I feel that Carle would be an upgrade over Stuart. Then the next task would be finding a Dman to replace Lidstrom through trade which will be easier said than done.
I think it would be in our best interest to land Suter and not have to worry about finding D through trade.
be about it!

#22 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

I want Bobby Ryan.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#23 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

In this market, I think its going to take an uncomfortable amount of term to get Semin at $5m/season. In which case, I would be very... annoyed. How many half-time scorers can you have signed for 8+ years?

There's about 5 mil leftover to mess around with in that cap-sheet I pasted. I don't there'd be a problem signing him. We might even get a discount because he really wants to play with Pav, and in our system

our D-men would have to step up and play great all season but other than that, I don't think I'd have a problem with this at all.. I for one would love to have semin playing with datsyuk.

and i think us signing "the monster" was our smartest move so far.. finally howard has a solid back up so he's not completely drained towards the end of the season/playoffs from playing around 60 games a season.

i would like to see nyq up on teh top line with pav and semin though, move helm to third line center and move mule to third line/maybe end up switching him with brunner or nyq eventually... not sure how that would make the fourth line look though but i'd like to see something like that to start the season.

I'd ALMOST go as far to say that I'd rather sign Semin than Parise. Semin, it's just such a question mark what kind of effort you're going to get, and it's the exact opposite with Parise, so you can't say more than that. But, ideally, Semin might actually be a better fit. He's a more skilled players, probably one of the top 5 skilled players in the game. He's more of a natural goal-scorer, which we really need. He's a deadly right-handed shot from the point on the power play.

Edited by blueadams, 03 July 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#24 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think this would still be a good team for the Wings. The downside is that Carle isn't near as good defensively as Suter, but arguably a little better offensively. Semin can potentially provide better offensive than Parise, though he doesn't add Parise's grit or defense (however, Semin is underrated defensively).

I wouldn't be too worried about it. The Wings are still loaded on front end defensive play and pretty good on back end defensive play. My main concern with Carle over Suter is having Suter on the team gives a lot more leeway to set some of our offensive d-men, especially Smith, loose offensively.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#25 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Personally I don't want either, Semin always seemed like a Franzen type, and if we don't get Suter then go after a big name D-man no matter the cost, cuz your gonna need a big name defenseman to take some of the pressure off from losing a top notch Lidstrom.

#26 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

How about this lineup?

I know it's not probable - for some reason?? - but I've been dying to see Pav and Val together ever since that ONE game in the phoenix series the post-season before last. I think that their chemistry - vision, passing, instincts - is just incredible. The best chemistry on our roster IMO. Throw Semin into that mix as well and it might be one of the, if not the, most productive lines in all the league.

Second line seems even more improbable, but is it really THAT much different than Val-Hank-Huds. Nyquist has shown me enough already, talent and effort-wise, to prove that he belongs in the top six. Moreso than Mule even. Brunner's inclusion, of course, is all based on rumor. But the rumor is he's a faster, better-shooting Hudler. So, hypothetically, it works.

Third line. Helm is your center. Not an offensive player. But the best third line center in the league according to our coach. Mule is in a low-pressure situation to produce, which he might really excel in. Sammy's got skill. Line as a hole has size. I like.

Fourth line. Abby of course centering. Tootoo of course on the right wing. Bert or Cleary on the left (one seems likely to be moved). Some mix of Miller, Eaves, Emmerton, Mursak available to sub.

Defensive pairings. Not quite sure how Babs will mix these up? I'd certainly like to see Smith get a shot in the top four though. Skilled puck moving defensemen out there with our top forwards really is what generates our style of play.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.866m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,699,962; BONUSES: $462,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,500,038

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Parise's a beast. He's all heart, gives 100% on every shift. He's a hard, tenacious forechecker, isn't at all afraid to work the corners or the front of the net - and he'll backcheck just as hard if called upon. He's good for at least 30 goals. With Dats feeding him, he could conceivably crack 40. He's fast.

Semin is monstrously talented. I do think a change of scenery would do him good, and that he might very well thrive here. But there are a lot of question marks.

I like Parise's grit. Semin is extremely soft. Every team knows how to shut down our scoring lines: box 'em out to the perimeter.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I like Parise's grit. Semin is extremely soft. Every team knows how to shut down our scoring lines: box 'em out to the perimeter.

Good point that hasn't been mentioned. We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.

#29 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Good point that hasn't been mentioned. We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.

Penetrate the box? LMAO.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#30 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

I like Carle. Not as much as Suter of course, but Carle can eat up a lot of minutes as well.

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'll pass on Carle.

#32 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

plan b? I wanted carle and suter

#33 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Carle bad.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'd be fine with Carle if we're adding Suter along with him. But to add only Carle? We need a top-flight blueliner. Someone elite. Carle's good - but he's not that good.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

If we don't get Parise I want Bobby Ryan. Alexander Semin is everything this team doesn't need.

#36 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'd be fine with Carle if we're adding Suter along with him. But to add only Carle? We need a top-flight blueliner. Someone elite. Carle's good - but he's not that good.

Yup I think its Suter or bust no Playoffs and it looks like the Wings are seeing the importants of a number one Dman also I say keep on pushing
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#37 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm not too crazy on Carle, either, for the money he's going to command. Considering the reports that Detroit made an offer for Sami Salo as well, I would expect that they've got a few needs they're looking to address:

- a right handed defenseman
- preferably who adds a bit of size
- someone who plays solid D but can also move the puck
- some veteran presence wouldn't hurt, considering the relative youth of our d-corps compared to recent years

So I wouldn't be surprised at a pick up similar to Commodore, though I think since they have money to spend they might look for someone more skilled.

An example could be UFA Michael Rozsival - his most recent contract averaged a $5 million annual cap hit, but the final year of pay was only $3 mil. He can play 20 minutes a night and at 33, I think he's worthy of similar, Ericsson/Stuart kind of money. That said, I haven't heard a thing about him this off-season, so perhaps he is sitting in the weeds and expecting a big pay day once the big fish are gone.

Other and probably lesser options would be Pavel Kubina (big shot, and not sure what else...) or possibly even Jeff Finger who would definitely be a 7th defensemen, but could be had for very little considering he's a Michigan native and has been toiling in the AHL for the Marlies for the past couple of seasons.

And yes, if we can realistically get Semin at around 5mil for, say two seasons, I'd don't see many better options. On paper, that really does round the lineup out, as I'd be frankly surprised to see Brunner or Nyquist score 20 goals next season. But if he is looking to command money like Radulov's 9 mil KHL salary, I hope the Wings don't get involved in that.

#38 Jericho613

Jericho613

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

It feels like if we have to go with Semin and Carle as a plan b then we are just wasting money. I'd rather just roll into the season with the defense we have and if we get murdered and miss the playoffs then fine. Wait for D and scoring worth the money.

#39 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'd rather lose out on the playoffs first the time since forever than signing Carle and Semin as plan B. Next year the UFAs are going to be insane Weber, Getzlaf, Perry 3 guys you can build your franchise around.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#40 Jericho613

Jericho613

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'd rather lose out on the playoffs first the time since forever than signing Carle and Semin as plan B. Next year the UFAs are going to be insane Weber, Getzlaf, Perry 3 guys you can build your franchise around.

I totally agree, if we don't get Suter or Parise, or make a big trade, just wait and get better players for the money next year. It will give us a chance to see what kind of players we have in Brunner, Smith, Nyquist, etc, we will probably get our asses handed to us and not make the playoffs, but this is just getting too crazy.