• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Suter Watch: Decision today, down to Wings/Wild

Rate this topic

I don't know ... I want Suter but I'm going to stop drinking the Suter koolaid. He is the best available UFA defenceman but I don't see him being the next Lidstrom so therefore, not worth $90 mill for 13 years.

Sometimes you have to overpay to get the right players at the right time. With the weak free agents the last couple years their salary is going to be inflated. The salary cap has been consistently going up... what might be overpaying this year may be a bargain down the road it's just the economy of the NHL these days. You can't relate a contract signed 5 years ago to a contract signed this year and expect to have the same value.

Sometimes you have to overpay to get the right players at the right time. With the weak free agents the last couple years their salary is going to be inflated. The salary cap has been consistently going up... what might be overpaying this year may be a bargain down the road it's just the economy of the NHL these days. You can't relate a contract signed 5 years ago to a contract signed this year and expect to have the same value.

Exactly. Gotta make use of what the market has.

I know it's Parise's hometown and just a few hours from Madison but I just don't see how that can out weigh being on a team that wins. I mean Parise played for UND so that shows he's not one of those MN homer freaks. Honestly though, as long as they don't go to the Pens I won't flip out.

So people were pre bashing Holland stating he must sign Suter. Now the Wings are getting bashed for trying everything possible to get Suter and/or Parise?

7mil cap hit for Suter is a bargain, especially given that at the end of his contract I'm guessing the cap will be 100mil+ or close to it. Get er' done Kenny!

^^^

Also, it's about more than just the man himself - it's about the need. Specifically: the Wings are in desperate need of an elite defenseman, one with a package much like Ryan's (ha ha ha). Without a Ryan Suter, or perhaps a Keith Yandle, or someone of that high-end ilk, we might not even make the playoffs.

Edited by Dabura

I think Suter is going to Detroit. The talk might involve trying to bring Parise over but ultimately I think Suter will be signing with the Red Wings. Holland simply wouldn't allow Suter to not sign. Signing Suter is too important to this franchise and Holland would give him an offer he couldn't refuse and not just $$$ wise. Suter has to hear the other teams out because it would be dumb not to but I think his decision is made we just have to wait. Also, nothing has been said that their discussions during this free agency had anything to do with trying to go to the same team, that has all been speculation. The only thing that baffles me is why he wants Parise to sign first. Maybe because Suter doesn't want a media frenzy and after Parise signs it won't be as drastic. Who knows. But this whole ordeal leaves lots to speculate about which is becoming painful.

Another "legitimate source" stated about 2 hours before that tweet that Suter has decided on Detroit...

Like I've said before, I'm not buying any "decision" until I see it announced by the team.

Another "legitimate source" stated about 2 hours before that tweet that Suter has decided on Detroit...

Like I've said before, I'm not buying any "decision" until I see it announced by the team.

Yeah but this guy's an NHL agent and former General Manager. I take his word in a heartbeat over some anonymous twitter account.

Heart is seriously racing, it looks pretty legit....

Unless his account was hacked? I mean, he's the first reputable source to say it's done.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Oh boy....

Michael Russo confirms Brian Lawton's post, "things are looking very positive as of 11pm". https://twitter.com/...411509149401088

Cripes........freaking out here...not looking good.

Russo's been saying this all night, heard him on the radio earlier tonight, sure they are not just repeating each others posts? (I say this because they are both based out of Minnesota, so, is any of this homerism?)

Who knows? From everything I've read, I am wondering if the reason the Wings showed up today is because they had a verbal commitment and heard Suter changed his mind, hence the increase in the offer.

Just stuff i've read and heard, just conjecture. Ah, well, will these 2 players really change the culture in Minnesota?

Edited by Wingers17

Guest Shoreline

While I think 7m is far overpriced for Suter, I'm far more worried about the length of offers coming from the organisation. I guess we didn't learn from DiPietro why this type of gamble isn't the best idea, and very un-Wings like.