Photo
- - - - -

Could Wings still make a move on Weber this year?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

If Ryan Suter eludes us, what are the chances of us out-bidding Nashville for Weber this season. Would the cap space available by Suter's departure allow NSH to submit an insane qualifying offer?

What would stop Holland from tossing a 12-year $100m offer sheet at Shea just to put NSH in a tough spot?

#2 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

IMO, the Wings can't afford to give up the first-round picks it would cost to sign Weber.

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

There's no way Holland sacrifices the picks... Now trading for his rights, although a very long shot as well, MAYBE

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Floating an offer sheet to an RFA hasn't been something Kenny's been interested in the past based on what I've seen. Not quite sure losing out on Suter would put him & ownership in enough of a desperation mode to do that with Weber.

#5 GoBlueGoWings

GoBlueGoWings

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Shea plays for the Canucks next year IMO. But it would be interesting and probably shock the NHL world to see us offering Weber a RFA instead of waiting for him to be a UFA.

And by next year I mean after this coming season...

#6 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'd rather try to trade and sign. Get a guarantee he will sign then trade big assets (Franzen, Fil, Ericsson, 1st) then go after Semin and Doan.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#7 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

I wasn't sure how that all worked but it seemed like an outside-the-box strategy....

#8 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Prying an RFA out of the hands of another team is too costly. If we want to continue being a successful team and avoid a rebuilding era, we rely on those picks. Getting a player of Weber's caliber could cost us multiple first round picks. And I don't see why our division rivals would trade us his rights unless we pay out our noses.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#9 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

If Ryan Suter eludes us, what are the chances of us out-bidding Nashville for Weber this season. Would the cap space available by Suter's departure allow NSH to submit an insane qualifying offer?

What would stop Holland from tossing a 12-year $100m offer sheet at Shea just to put NSH in a tough spot?

Having to give up 50 1st round picks.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#10 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Having to give up 50 1st round picks.

Hmmm 50 seems like it could be a gamble on our part....

#11 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

Nashville has the opportunity to match any RFA and they reportedly have the money to match the proposed contract here. Therefore, if Weber wants to leave Nashville, he may not accept a long term contract since he could end up signed to Nashville for the proposed contract.

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

^^^^

I am have heard that Weber does not intend to sign an offer sheet because Nashville has promised to match any offer sheet he receives, so basically once he signs an offer sheet he will be a Predator. Not signing at least affords him the opportunity to leave next year.

Edit: because an & and are different words!

Edited by Opie, 04 July 2012 - 09:51 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#13 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Weber will either test FA or get traded. I could see philly offering up a package to land him, since the preds and flyers always trade with each other.

#14 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

^^^^

I am have heard that Weber does not intend to sign an offer sheet because Nashville has promised to match any offer sheet he receives, so basically once he signs an offer sheet he will be a Predator. Not signing at least affords him the opportunity to leave next year.

Edit: because an & and are different words!

That answers my question, thanks!

#15 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Just so you know it is not me I heard that bit on a tsn video this weekend, not sure which one or I would post it again. It was Mackenzie that said it on the round panel and Dreger agreed!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#16 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, don't want Weber ... ever.

#17 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't think weber would sign any offer sheet unless the prednecks tell him straight up that they won't match it. I think weber tries to force them to trade his rights.. If we do that and sign him long term, I say we win. That plus sign semin ad it's a great off season.. I'm still hopeful. Geterrdone Kenny!!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#18 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

franzen,quincey,tatar and a 1st for weber if we get him to sign longterm contract extention

think that could be enough for weber?

#19 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Everyone needs to stop with the Weber nonsense. There is No way in he'll Nashville will let him come here, same with rick Nash

#20 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

Nashville either trades him or he forces a one year contract and they lose him next year for nothing. He wont stay in Nashville now that suter left.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."