• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
turbowhistle86

Could Wings still make a move on Weber this year?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

The Preds just lost Suter. They won't give up Weber, not when he's currently required to sign with them.

Because weber is better than suter.

Some Preds fans would disagree with you. It's unclear as yet if they'll continue to be as good as before now that they'll be not playing together.

If somehow the Wings would be OK with giving up 4 first round draft picks then I say sign Weber to a 1 year league max (~$14M) contract. That way if NSH matches it then they can't trade him for an entire year and it screws their cap situation up. Or if NSH declines then the Wings can sign him long term during the season and won't be hampered by another 12 year deal (as the new CBA will eliminate those)

Weber has declined arbitration with Nashville.

http://www.prosports...ors-685266.html

Does this mean anything though?

Just basically means that he can still accept offer sheets from other teams which means jack & squat since I would be surprised if he gets any. After losing Suter, Nashville will be desperate enough to match any offer that comes in.

Just basically means that he can still accept offer sheets from other teams which means jack & squat since I would be surprised if he gets any. After losing Suter, Nashville will be desperate enough to match any offer that comes in.

What does it mean if he can't come to terms with the Preds though? Since he didn't elect arbitration and they can't take him to arbitration, if he doesn't want to sign an offer sheet and doesn't like the Preds offer does he just sit out until an agreement is reached?

What does it mean if he can't come to terms with the Preds though? Since he didn't elect arbitration and they can't take him to arbitration, if he doesn't want to sign an offer sheet and doesn't like the Preds offer does he just sit out until an agreement is reached?

Nashville already sent a qualifying offer to Weber & at his salary, it has to be at minimum what he made last season. By not filing for arbitation, that leaves the options at:

• Accepting the qualifying offer from Nashville, which locks him in at 1 or 2 years depending on what Weber wants & then he becomes a UFA at the end of that contract.
  • Accepting an offer sheet from another team. If Nashville matches, they're locked in at the same exact contract in the offer sheet & they can't trade Weber for a year. If Nashville doesn't match, Weber moves on & the Preds get draft picks as compensation.
  • No offer sheet is extended/accepted & Weber rejects Nashville's qualifying offer. He remains an RFA & if he's not under contract by 12/1, he sits out the entire season.

My guess is that no teams extend an offer sheet, he accepts Nashville's qualifying offer for 1 more year, & then becomes a UFA after the season.

Edited by ogreslayer

Nashville already sent a qualifying offer to Weber & at his salary, it has to be at minimum what he made last season. By not filing for arbitation, that leaves the options at:

• Accepting the qualifying offer from Nashville, which locks him in at 1 or 2 years depending on what Weber wants & then he becomes a UFA at the end of that contract.
  • Accepting an offer sheet from another team. If Nashville matches, they're locked in at the same exact contract in the offer sheet & they can't trade Weber for a year. If Nashville doesn't match, Weber moves on & the Preds get draft picks as compensation.
  • No offer sheet is extended/accepted & Weber rejects Nashville's qualifying offer. He remains an RFA & if he's not under contract by 12/1, he sits out the entire season.

My guess is that no teams extend an offer sheet, he accepts Nashville's qualifying offer for 1 more year, & then becomes a UFA after the season.

Thanks for the info.

If somehow the Wings would be OK with giving up 4 first round draft picks then I say sign Weber to a 1 year league max (~$14M) contract. That way if NSH matches it then they can't trade him for an entire year and it screws their cap situation up. Or if NSH declines then the Wings can sign him long term during the season and won't be hampered by another 12 year deal (as the new CBA will eliminate those)

I posted this exact samt thing

That move might screw the Pred's internal cap situation up for a year but not versus the true $70.2m NHL cap level. They're close to $30m under the NHL cap currently. Would they take that hit for 1 year? Quite possibly.

The value is impossible to determine. Consider nashville needs him as their star player. However, he is an RFA so his value becomes less and its a risk for teams trading that he wont re-sign. Therefore i dont see the preds being able to move him for what they consider fair (like the nash situation) because there are no guaratees for the teams trading for him. All this considered i have no idea what he would cost in a trade. Value would change depending on the risks a want to take on. Holland doesnt take risks.

The value is impossible to determine. Consider nashville needs him as their star player. However, he is an RFA so his value becomes less and its a risk for teams trading that he wont re-sign. Therefore i dont see the preds being able to move him for what they consider fair (like the nash situation) because there are no guaratees for the teams trading for him. All this considered i have no idea what he would cost in a trade. Value would change depending on the risks a want to take on. Holland doesnt take risks.

And with that ******* Radulov going back to Russia hence bailing on the Preds again, they are hurting even more. They don't seem to have much depth and they do not have even 1 high profile superstar forward. Their return to obscurity started as soon as their playoff exit happened. Weber is their last hope. If they don't lock him up, they'll have a hard time luring talent there.

They could if Poile wants to get fired. No way they are giving us - or any other western team - their captain.

He will sign either longterm or a one year contract Nashville shops him to a hopefully bad team and we could make an offer for Weber next year.

Edited by frankgrimes