Photo
- - - - -

Could Wings still make a move on Weber this year?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 mmorland

mmorland

SRD Writer, Broadcaster

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

If Ryan Suter eludes us, what are the chances of us out-bidding Nashville for Weber this season. Would the cap space available by Suter's departure allow NSH to submit an insane qualifying offer?

What would stop Holland from tossing a 12-year $100m offer sheet at Shea just to put NSH in a tough spot?

What would stop hom? The wings didn't offer their number one choice that much money, why would they throw more money at their number two?
"I can't believe I shook this guys frickin' hand. We lost and I'm pissed off. But to see Kris Draper's face makes me sick. I didn't see his face until after the game, but his face is turned sideways. If the league doesn't do something about that ... I mean that's ridiculous. He could have broken his fricken neck."

-Dino Ciccarelli

#22 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

What would stop hom? The wings didn't offer their number one choice that much money, why would they throw more money at their number two?

Because weber is better than suter.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#23 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

No.

They can't and they won't.

#24 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Nashville won't let it happen.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#25 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

To clarify, I wasn't picking an exact number for the contract, just a hypothetical scenario. However I do agree that Weber is a better d-man than Suter.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

next year guys and girls next year! Just hope Zetterberg would be okay with it.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#27 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

No way Nashville trades with Detroit. Ever.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Preds just lost Suter. They won't give up Weber, not when he's currently required to sign with them.

Because weber is better than suter.

Some Preds fans would disagree with you. It's unclear as yet if they'll continue to be as good as before now that they'll be not playing together.

#29 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

No way the Wings give up those draft picks
IPB Image

#30 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

If somehow the Wings would be OK with giving up 4 first round draft picks then I say sign Weber to a 1 year league max (~$14M) contract. That way if NSH matches it then they can't trade him for an entire year and it screws their cap situation up. Or if NSH declines then the Wings can sign him long term during the season and won't be hampered by another 12 year deal (as the new CBA will eliminate those)
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#31 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Weber has declined arbitration with Nashville.

http://www.prosports...ors-685266.html

Does this mean anything though?

#32 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Weber has declined arbitration with Nashville.

http://www.prosports...ors-685266.html

Does this mean anything though?

Just basically means that he can still accept offer sheets from other teams which means jack & squat since I would be surprised if he gets any. After losing Suter, Nashville will be desperate enough to match any offer that comes in.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#33 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just basically means that he can still accept offer sheets from other teams which means jack & squat since I would be surprised if he gets any. After losing Suter, Nashville will be desperate enough to match any offer that comes in.

What does it mean if he can't come to terms with the Preds though? Since he didn't elect arbitration and they can't take him to arbitration, if he doesn't want to sign an offer sheet and doesn't like the Preds offer does he just sit out until an agreement is reached?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#34 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

What does it mean if he can't come to terms with the Preds though? Since he didn't elect arbitration and they can't take him to arbitration, if he doesn't want to sign an offer sheet and doesn't like the Preds offer does he just sit out until an agreement is reached?

Nashville already sent a qualifying offer to Weber & at his salary, it has to be at minimum what he made last season. By not filing for arbitation, that leaves the options at:
  • Accepting the qualifying offer from Nashville, which locks him in at 1 or 2 years depending on what Weber wants & then he becomes a UFA at the end of that contract.
  • Accepting an offer sheet from another team. If Nashville matches, they're locked in at the same exact contract in the offer sheet & they can't trade Weber for a year. If Nashville doesn't match, Weber moves on & the Preds get draft picks as compensation.
  • No offer sheet is extended/accepted & Weber rejects Nashville's qualifying offer. He remains an RFA & if he's not under contract by 12/1, he sits out the entire season.
My guess is that no teams extend an offer sheet, he accepts Nashville's qualifying offer for 1 more year, & then becomes a UFA after the season.

Edited by ogreslayer, 06 July 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#35 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Nashville already sent a qualifying offer to Weber & at his salary, it has to be at minimum what he made last season. By not filing for arbitation, that leaves the options at:

• Accepting the qualifying offer from Nashville, which locks him in at 1 or 2 years depending on what Weber wants & then he becomes a UFA at the end of that contract.
  • Accepting an offer sheet from another team. If Nashville matches, they're locked in at the same exact contract in the offer sheet & they can't trade Weber for a year. If Nashville doesn't match, Weber moves on & the Preds get draft picks as compensation.
  • No offer sheet is extended/accepted & Weber rejects Nashville's qualifying offer. He remains an RFA & if he's not under contract by 12/1, he sits out the entire season.
My guess is that no teams extend an offer sheet, he accepts Nashville's qualifying offer for 1 more year, & then becomes a UFA after the season.

Thanks for the info.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#36 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

If somehow the Wings would be OK with giving up 4 first round draft picks then I say sign Weber to a 1 year league max (~$14M) contract. That way if NSH matches it then they can't trade him for an entire year and it screws their cap situation up. Or if NSH declines then the Wings can sign him long term during the season and won't be hampered by another 12 year deal (as the new CBA will eliminate those)

I posted this exact samt thing

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#37 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

That move might screw the Pred's internal cap situation up for a year but not versus the true $70.2m NHL cap level. They're close to $30m under the NHL cap currently. Would they take that hit for 1 year? Quite possibly.

#38 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

franzen,quincey,tatar and a 1st for weber if we get him to sign longterm contract extention

think that could be enough for weber?

No, that will not be enough. Not even close.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

No, that will not be enough. Not even close.

Truth
Nashville would want Dats,Z,Smith,flip,tatar,jurco and so on.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Nashville either trades him or he forces a one year contract and they lose him next year for nothing. He wont stay in Nashville now that suter left.

But Weber's in disbelief that Suter abandoned the sinking ship... :bye2: lol.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!