• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Ryan Suter agrees to 13-year, $98-mil deal with Wild

Rate this topic

I never said the Wings were in a better position, only that it's easier to keep abreast at this point. Minnie more than doubles their chances of being very competitive this year. I'm just saying better them than aiding and abetting a conference rival or a really good team maybe getting that last missing piece to be a true powerhouse.

Very true, that is a fair point. I guess with a couple moves, the Red Wings could realistically get back in the conversation. I just think missing on Suter overall is a dagger -- much more so than any other team that lost out here.

So Minnesota finishes 9th this year instead of 11th or 12th??....ha

Wild were doing well, then Koivu got injured and the wheels came off. But they just made a huge improvement to their offense (which was 30th in the league) and defense. They should make the playofffs, and hopefully play more exciting hockey with the offensive talent they have.

Maybe we should just ice this current lineup and see what happens. Defense by committee. I think Babs is going to have to go to a different playing style. I'm not sure our backend can support the puck-possession system.

The lack of patience around here is comical..these 2 had every right to take their time and make a life changing decision. It's July 4th we will move on and this team will be better by the end of the off season. It's not a video game..you can't pick up your Ps3 controller and with 5 button pushes have 3 free agents signed. This was a kick in the balls for sure but we dodged two albatross contracts for 2 guys who are top tier but are barely top 5 at their positions. RELAX...

Very true, that is a fair point. I guess with a couple moves, the Red Wings could realistically get back in the conversation. I just think missing on Suter overall is a dagger -- much more so than any other team that lost out here.

That's the part I fault Holland for. Rafalski retiring was a little sooner than expected but overall not a surprise, Lidstrom was known to retire either this season or next, Stuart was known to head back to California. He didn't make any moves over the years to ease that transition.

Quincey was a desperation stop-gap measure at the end of last season, but that's about it. Holland left the Wings in a position where they had to run hard at Suter. The Wings blueline needs serious help.

Two thirteen year $98 million dollar contracts ?!?! No thanks. I can only imagine the gripping anxiety the Minny franchise will undergo when they haven't won squat 5 years into this. The curse of Dany Heatly will haunt them.

The Wild were elite last year for half the season before running out of steam. I think they might be in the top 3 in the West this year.

Wild went down once Koivu got injured and never recovered. They are still weak in the center but their offense sure did not get worse with Parise signing.

Their defense was among the last in scoring. Suter should help there.

Goaltending has never been a problem for the Wild.

Guest Crymson

It's easy to blab about how Holland "should have" done something in the past to hedge against Holland's retirement. What's not so easy is to come up with what that should have been. I have no doubt that some here consider themselves capable armchair GMs. What would you have done?

Guest Crymson

For not hedging his bets YEARS ago. Lidstroms age was not a state secret. There is NO reason Detroit should be without a number one d man.

Tell us the specific actions that you feel Holland should have taken.

for not overpaying? these guys both got about 3 million more than they are worth.

For not addressing this years ago, for waiting and being in this position in the first place.

I've made post on this before on all the players Hollands missed since 2005 in draft and trades. I'm on my way to a party but I'll post the list tonight.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=18

Just look at Minny's roster and explain to me how that looked more attractive than Detroit to either player. Other than Suter they have no one on D worth mentioning. Half of the forwards are guys who can hit but don't do much else. It's really telling how much these guys only cared about playing together and getting huge contracts from their "home" team.

I, for one, care far more about trying to get Weber either this season or next and watching Smith develop into a top four defenseman. Sure, the Wings will probably struggle a bit this year without the same solid backend that we're used to, but in the end, the team will have a brighter future than the Wild.

I'm enjoying reading the comments at the Tennessean and the Star Ledger and both have often touched on the meme they took the cowards way out.

I can understand Parise's choice(kind of) of wanting to go home, but Suter IMO made a dumb decision. He's not even from MN. He played all those years in Nashville and never sniffed a cup. Had a chance to see our top notch organization multiple times a year. He had the chance to join Detroit for great money/term. He knows they will always try to field a great team each year. None of those things have been demonstrated in Minny.

Whatever................

We as fans can be upset about Holland not accounting for this day without having to back it up with every single player that's been available over the last few years. It's called transition planning. All GM's have to do it.

We don't even have full info on who's available and what it cost and you'll likely shoot down any suggestion as too expensive anyway.

The fact is, Lidstrom retiring was an inevitability. Maybe he would've stayed another year, but Holland knew this day was coming for a long time now plus or minus a season. And Stuart leaving was a known for at least a couple seasons now. This is not like losing a Dman the way the Wings did Vladdy or Fischer. There were no surprises in this transition.