• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Ryan Suter agrees to 13-year, $98-mil deal with Wild

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

Helene tweeted Wings weren't close on money with Parise, I just wonder is Suter said if Detroit won't sign us both we'll both just go to wild?

Maybe, but I don't see why that would matter at this point, as far as this organisation is concerned it's now just semantics. Hopefully they find someone with more reasonable contract demands.

If we would have paid that much money to Suter we would have been hurting in years. What if the cap goes down? What if Suter isn't as good as we think and its because he played with Webber all this time? I hope something happens soon for the Wings i'm really interested in seeing were we go from here.

Don't be so confident. Every empire has a ending. The Wings are on the decline.

As much as we'd all like to disagree with that statement the fact is your right. I don't think were close to missing the playoffs yet, but if Holland doesn't make the right moves over the next couple season we will be a non playoff team.

I like Ken Holland. I like him a lot. I'm very, very glad he's our GM. Mad props, respect from me to him.

But, man, sometimes I do have to wonder about him.

I am trying to understand why people are blaming Holland. He made offers to both players, and both players decided to go elsewhere. Its called free agency for a reason.

Nashville is in the same boat. They just lost Suter, Tootoo, and Radulov. Plus they has to sign Hal Gill. I feel bad for them. They will be trying to trade with other teams for a scorer and a new partner for Weber.

The ripping/dismissing of Minnesota in this thread is laughable, they are a Backstrom trade to the Leafs for some D away from being a contender and they have a great prospects cupboard as well. And even with their team last year they were 20-8-3 or something before getting some injuries. They will be a team to be reckoned with in the West next seaon.

Putting aside my personal disappointment on not getting one or both (besides the fact that I'm happy we didn't give those contracts) this is a great and very well deserved day for the Wild franchise. I'm chalking this up as an acceptable loss since I've always been fond of the Wild.

Edited by T-Ruff

People said the same thing when Yzerman left, and yet they won a cup a couple years later.

To say the Wings are on the decline is about an extreme of an opinion as saying they will win the cup next year.

Holland did his best! Get over it and move on. It was obvious that Suter and Parise wanted to play together. Holland did not want to offer Parise the same amount of money as he did Suter.

Knowing the numbers, I think Holland did the right thing by walking away. Hard when there is so much pressure but I'm actually glad we didn't try to top it with $100m for 13 years or something stupid like that.

Suter should also take a humble pill ... he should know that he is not worth $7.5/yr.

People said the same thing when Yzerman left, and yet they won a cup a couple years later.

To say the Wings are on the decline is about an extreme of an opinion as saying they will win the cup next year.

I'm hoping for the best, but the Yzerman comparison isn't really the same. Stevie was basically a third liner when he retired and we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg coming into their prime. Lidstrom was still the number one D-man on the team and still near the top of the league in terms of quality of play. We have no one that comes close to that on the blueline AND lost a middle pairing guy in Stuart as well.

I am trying to understand why people are blaming Holland. He made offers to both players, and both players decided to go elsewhere. Its called free agency for a reason.

I absolutely don't blame holland for not landing Suter given what happened. But as I've said, he could've made moves earlier to ease the transition.

Yzerman left the team with a stable Defense and some kids named Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I'm hoping for the best, but the Yzerman comparison isn't really the same. Stevie was basically a third liner when he retired and we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg coming into their prime. Lidstrom was still the number one D-man on the team and still near the top of the league in terms of quality of play. We have no one that comes close to that on the blueline AND lost a mJiddle pairing guy in Stuart as well.

I absolutely don't blame holland for not landing Suter given what happened. But as I've said, he could've made moves earlier to ease the transition.

Im sure all of lgw would have been thrilled had Holland done such a thing...sarcasm

Edited by beachwing

Bet it...

Suter was coming here, but just because Holland knew Parise wasn't worth $7.5M, then Suter said forget it. Now when the Wild wins nothing in 13 years, he will be looking at Parise saying, I stuck up for your ass and we still don't have a Cup...Thanks!

f*** off both of them....I hope they are happy with thier wives choosing their lives....poosies...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

Wrong: they said that when Shanahan AND Yzerman left. And the team nearly made it to the finals that season, even with Kronwall and Schneider out. And then they said that the Wings had declined AGAIN by leaving Bertuzzi and Calder unsigned and only replacing them with Drake. And the Wings won the Cup.

Etc. etc.

I'm hoping for the best, but the Yzerman comparison isn't really the same. Stevie was basically a third liner when he retired and we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg coming into their prime. Lidstrom was still the number one D-man on the team and still near the top of the league in terms of quality of play. We have no one that comes close to that on the blueline AND lost a middle pairing guy in Stuart as well.

They deleted 40 goals from Shanahan as well, and they signed a goaltender whom everyone thought was on his last legs. All sorts of pundits said that the Wings would miss the playoffs.

Such as????

as much as I wanted the wings to sign them, niether parise nor suter are top 30 players in the league. The wild are paying them like they are top 5 players. That is not a recipe for success.

these contract will look terrible in a few years and they wont have the option to eat that salary like detroit would. They arent able to insure them properly, so if either gets injured they might get cap relief but their salaries will still eat into their payroll.

Guest Crymson

as much as I wanted the wings to sign them, niether parise nor suter are top 30 players in the league. The wild are paying them like they are top 5 players. That is not a recipe for success.

these contract will look terrible in a few years and they wont have the option to eat that salary like detroit would. They arent able to insure them properly, so if either gets injured they might get cap relief but their salaries will still eat into their payroll.

The Wild currently have an average offense, a below-average defense, and $2.8m in cap space with which to remedy that.

Edited by Crymson

Wrong: they said that when Shanahan AND Yzerman left. And the team nearly made it to the finals that season, even with Kronwall and Schneider out. And then they said that the Wings had declined AGAIN by leaving Bertuzzi and Calder unsigned and only replacing them with Drake. And the Wings won the Cup.

Etc. etc.

They deleted 40 goals from Shanahan as well, and they signed a goaltender whom everyone thought was on his last legs. All sorts of pundits said that the Wings would miss the playoffs.

Such as????

I've answered this already Crymson. It's not our job to make a list of all the potential trades Holland could've made over the last few seasons. Especially because you'd just shoot them down saying we dont' know they would go for that.

As you've even said, a GM's job is to plan for the future. This future was a known thing for the Wings, and they don't exactly look prepared for it. When you look at our blueline right now, it's not an unreasonable complaint to say the Wings could've been better prepared for this transition. Holland giving up a first for Quincey was a desperation move. Holland having to compete so hard for Suter was a desperation move.

Your obsession with people complaining right now is like the old joke "The food here is awful! And such small portions!"

If you don't like how people are reacting, no one is making you come read every thread here.

Guest Crymson

If you all think that trades are guaranteed to make a team better, look at San Jose. They made two major trades and ended up bombing in the first round of the playoffs

I've answered this already Crymson. It's not our job to make a list of all the potential trades Holland could've made over the last few seasons. Especially because you'd just shoot them down saying we dont' know they would go for that.

As you've even said, a GM's job is to plan for the future. This future was a known thing for the Wings, and they don't exactly look prepared for it. When you look at our blueline right now, it's not an unreasonable complaint to say the Wings could've been better prepared for this transition. Holland giving up a first for Quincey was a desperation move. Holland having to compete so hard for Suter was a desperation move.

If you've no concrete suggestions, then you're simply speculating that there was any excellent course for the Wings to take. How many good UFA defensemen have been on the market in the past three offseasons? How much chance did the Wings have to land them? What would the Wings have needed to give to trade for any of them? The simple fact is that you and everyone else on these boards are unaware of the details. You say that Holland "should" have done something to make the team better. That's easy to say, but you're not aware of what he *COULD* have reasonably done.

Edited by Crymson