• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#141 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Contract lengths are really and truly out of control. In order to get a superstar signed these days, it takes a giant, lifetime contract. This means bad things for the NHL. It has reached a ludicrous extent.

#142 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

What a bunch of passive aggressive idiots on our board here....geesus get over it and all this nonsense about how far 'our prestige' has fallen.
They chose minny over everyone, including a chance to line up with Malkin and Syndy.....this had more to do with being close to home, family, and friends than the Wings org being a wasteland.

Good grief charlie brown, wings will be fine and all you crybabies wishing parise and suter illwill need to go out and light up your illegal m-80's and stand really really close to them!

#143 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

1. Can't blame Holland or Ilitch, they did everything they could. Don't know if I would have gone up to $98m for each of them, I already thought $90m over 13 yrs was a lot.
2. Please don't tell me in the end it was about the money, $8mill after taxes is like $4mill ... over 13 years, that shouldn't be a factor for Suter or Parise. So they think that Minny's roster is closer to 'winning' it all than Detroit's?
3. Minny was the dark horse and they won the Lebron/Bosh sweepstakes of NHL. Now everyone will have the hate on Minny like they did on the Heat.
4. Glad they finally made their decision and everyone can move on. I'm disappointed but not devastated. If we suck this year, so be it ... get some draft picks and rebuild the good old fashion way.

#144 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

I don't really buy "at least the Penguins/Blackhawks didn't get better angle." Sure, the Wild are probably a little further from contending than those two, but honestly the Red Wings aren't any closer than the Wild today.

It's fine to be relieved when your biggest competitors didn't improve in a position of strength. Right now, the Red Wings aren't sitting there at all. We needed at least Suter to even stay in the conversation next season.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#145 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Well this will be interesting. Whoever signs here next will know he has Holland by the balls. Time for things to get a little ugly and to see who sticks around.

I don't see why people are upset at these guys for going to the Wild. It's better than them selling out and going to a perennial competitor like the Penguins to win. Sounds like they want to win on their own terms and do it for the region they grew up in, which happens to be one of the greatest American hockey hot beds. They essentially want to bring the cup home. Makes perfect sense to me and I find it to be a respectable decision.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#146 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

There are so many teams out there that wish they that they could experience what we deem bad news. We still have a good team and a great fanbase. Rightfully, nobody is shedding tears for us now. Our tradition, ownership, fanbase, and roster is still what other teams hope to achieve. We will continue to be a model for many to follow. GO WINGS!!!

#147 Scrappy's Servant

Scrappy's Servant

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

So Minnesota finishes 9th this year instead of 11th or 12th??....ha

#148 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

I don't really buy "at least the Penguins/Blackhawks didn't get better angle." Sure, the Wild are probably a little further from contending than those two, but honestly the Red Wings aren't any closer than the Wild today.

It's fine to be relieved when your biggest competitors didn't improve in a position of strength. Right now, the Red Wings aren't sitting there at all. We needed at least Suter to even stay in the conversation next season.

I never said the Wings were in a better position, only that it's easier to keep abreast at this point. Minnie more than doubles their chances of being very competitive this year. I'm just saying better them than aiding and abetting a conference rival or a really good team maybe getting that last missing piece to be a true powerhouse.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#149 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

thank god we didnt get him 13 years, come on .. absolutely ridiculous. lidstrom is worth 13 years not suter guys. nowhere near him in any way.

#150 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Contract lengths are really and truly out of control. In order to get a superstar signed these days, it takes a giant, lifetime contract. This means bad things for the NHL. It has reached a ludicrous extent.

Agreed. I can't see how contract lengths that long are good for the league. It wouldn't surprise me if they limited length in the new CBA. 10 years would be a start. 7 or 8 seems reasonable.

#151 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I never said the Wings were in a better position, only that it's easier to keep abreast at this point. Minnie more than doubles their chances of being very competitive this year. I'm just saying better them than aiding and abetting a conference rival or a really good team maybe getting that last missing piece to be a true powerhouse.

Very true, that is a fair point. I guess with a couple moves, the Red Wings could realistically get back in the conversation. I just think missing on Suter overall is a dagger -- much more so than any other team that lost out here.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#152 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

So Minnesota finishes 9th this year instead of 11th or 12th??....ha

Wild were doing well, then Koivu got injured and the wheels came off. But they just made a huge improvement to their offense (which was 30th in the league) and defense. They should make the playofffs, and hopefully play more exciting hockey with the offensive talent they have.

#153 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Has anyone actually seen the Wild's roster now? How the f*** do they expect to make the playoffs with their defense?

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=18

This is a very good point. It's basically just suter.. If anything, they needed him worse than we did IMO

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#154 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Maybe we should just ice this current lineup and see what happens. Defense by committee. I think Babs is going to have to go to a different playing style. I'm not sure our backend can support the puck-possession system.

#155 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

your like a little kid that didnt get his way.... grow up. The wings are not as high and mighty as you and half the people on here think they are. thoes two will have a fine 13 years in minny.

you're*

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#156 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

The lack of patience around here is comical..these 2 had every right to take their time and make a life changing decision. It's July 4th we will move on and this team will be better by the end of the off season. It's not a video game..you can't pick up your Ps3 controller and with 5 button pushes have 3 free agents signed. This was a kick in the balls for sure but we dodged two albatross contracts for 2 guys who are top tier but are barely top 5 at their positions. RELAX...

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#157 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Very true, that is a fair point. I guess with a couple moves, the Red Wings could realistically get back in the conversation. I just think missing on Suter overall is a dagger -- much more so than any other team that lost out here.

That's the part I fault Holland for. Rafalski retiring was a little sooner than expected but overall not a surprise, Lidstrom was known to retire either this season or next, Stuart was known to head back to California. He didn't make any moves over the years to ease that transition.

Quincey was a desperation stop-gap measure at the end of last season, but that's about it. Holland left the Wings in a position where they had to run hard at Suter. The Wings blueline needs serious help.

#158 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

For that kind of money, maybe they'll double shift him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#159 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Two thirteen year $98 million dollar contracts ?!?! No thanks. I can only imagine the gripping anxiety the Minny franchise will undergo when they haven't won squat 5 years into this. The curse of Dany Heatly will haunt them.
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#160 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

The Wild were elite last year for half the season before running out of steam. I think they might be in the top 3 in the West this year.

Wild went down once Koivu got injured and never recovered. They are still weak in the center but their offense sure did not get worse with Parise signing.
Their defense was among the last in scoring. Suter should help there.
Goaltending has never been a problem for the Wild.