• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#161 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

It's easy to blab about how Holland "should have" done something in the past to hedge against Holland's retirement. What's not so easy is to come up with what that should have been. I have no doubt that some here consider themselves capable armchair GMs. What would you have done?

#162 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Time to fire Holland

for not overpaying? these guys both got about 3 million more than they are worth.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#163 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm enjoying reading the comments at the Tennessean and the Star Ledger and both have often touched on the meme they took the cowards way out.

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg

#164 scotty7

scotty7

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hmmm. So both these guys are worth crosby size contracts. I hate crosby. But I don't think so........we r better off in the future without them. Just saying.

#165 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

For not hedging his bets YEARS ago. Lidstroms age was not a state secret. There is NO reason Detroit should be without a number one d man.

Tell us the specific actions that you feel Holland should have taken.

#166 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

for not overpaying? these guys both got about 3 million more than they are worth.

For not addressing this years ago, for waiting and being in this position in the first place.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#167 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

They were worth $95 million but not $98 million? Really?

#168 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I've made post on this before on all the players Hollands missed since 2005 in draft and trades. I'm on my way to a party but I'll post the list tonight.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#169 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

i hope they both have fun never winning a cup in their career's now. Suter probably would have signed if he could play with Lids.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#170 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Meh, now what?

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#171 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Well I'm in shock that we didn't land Suter... July 4th is a bad day
IPB Image

#172 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=18

Just look at Minny's roster and explain to me how that looked more attractive than Detroit to either player. Other than Suter they have no one on D worth mentioning. Half of the forwards are guys who can hit but don't do much else. It's really telling how much these guys only cared about playing together and getting huge contracts from their "home" team.

I, for one, care far more about trying to get Weber either this season or next and watching Smith develop into a top four defenseman. Sure, the Wings will probably struggle a bit this year without the same solid backend that we're used to, but in the end, the team will have a brighter future than the Wild.

#173 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm enjoying reading the comments at the Tennessean and the Star Ledger and both have often touched on the meme they took the cowards way out.

I can understand Parise's choice(kind of) of wanting to go home, but Suter IMO made a dumb decision. He's not even from MN. He played all those years in Nashville and never sniffed a cup. Had a chance to see our top notch organization multiple times a year. He had the chance to join Detroit for great money/term. He knows they will always try to field a great team each year. None of those things have been demonstrated in Minny.

Whatever................
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#174 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ryan Suter is a good player. He was never going to replace what this franchise got out of Nik Lidstrom for 20 years.

#175 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

We as fans can be upset about Holland not accounting for this day without having to back it up with every single player that's been available over the last few years. It's called transition planning. All GM's have to do it.

We don't even have full info on who's available and what it cost and you'll likely shoot down any suggestion as too expensive anyway.

The fact is, Lidstrom retiring was an inevitability. Maybe he would've stayed another year, but Holland knew this day was coming for a long time now plus or minus a season. And Stuart leaving was a known for at least a couple seasons now. This is not like losing a Dman the way the Wings did Vladdy or Fischer. There were no surprises in this transition.

#176 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,072 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I like Ken Holland. I like him a lot. I'm very, very glad he's our GM. Mad props, respect from me to him.

But, man, sometimes I do have to wonder about him.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#177 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

godammit.

well at least it's not with pittsburgh.
Posted Image

#178 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

And now the Wings miss the playoffs for the first time in 21 years. I feel like Holland dropped the ball.

#179 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

We as fans can be upset about Holland not accounting for this day without having to back it up with every single player that's been available over the last few years. It's called transition planning. All GM's have to do it.

We don't even have full info on who's available and what it cost and you'll likely shoot down any suggestion as too expensive anyway.

The fact is, Lidstrom retiring was an inevitability. Maybe he would've stayed another year, but Holland knew this day was coming for a long time now plus or minus a season. And Stuart leaving was a known for at least a couple seasons now. This is not like losing a Dman the way the Wings did Vladdy or Fischer. There were no surprises in this transition.

There's no way to know if the deals that were available would have been to the Wings' advantage.

#180 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Ryan Suter is a good player. He was never going to replace what this franchise got out of Nik Lidstrom for 20 years.

exactly..there is good and then there is great

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!