• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

This is almost as *** as when Kariya and Selanne both signed in Colorado, just to be together.

I remember when they signed for Colorado and teh interwebz went into meltdown - give them the Stanley Cup now etc. I also remember when Hatcher signed for Detroit....

Parise and Suter may make Minnesota the dominant team of the next 10 years - or they may turn into a 200 million dollar millstone.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I understand people are disappointed we didn't land either of these two players, but too many of you are absolutely overreacting. We didn't sign a couple of hockey players, it's not like the President was just shot. The amount of teeth-gnashing, wailing, hair-pulling, and manic frenzy is disproportionate to the event.

Everyone just calm the hell down.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Jacques Lemaire wants back in.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I understand people are disappointed we didn't land either of these two players, but too many of you are absolutely overreacting. We didn't sign a couple of hockey players, it's not like the President was just shot. The amount of teeth-gnashing, wailing, hair-pulling, and manic frenzy is disproportionate to the event.

Everyone just calm the hell down.

SIMMA DON NA!!!

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

They both are going to make $196 million. That's more than Leipold sold the Predators in 2007 for $193 million.

#46 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

They both are going to make $196 million. That's more than Leipold sold the Predators in 2007 for $193 million.

Those two have more talent than the 2007 Predators....

#47 scotty7

scotty7

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Better to see them in minny then pitt or chi. They r not worth 100 mil contracts though.

#48 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I hate this league.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#49 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I remember when they signed for Colorado and teh interwebz went into meltdown - give them the Stanley Cup now etc. I also remember when Hatcher signed for Detroit....

Parise and Suter may make Minnesota the dominant team of the next 10 years - or they may turn into a 200 million dollar millstone.

These two signings won't make Minn dominant. That team has other issues they still need to address.

I for one am not hating on either of these two players. It's their lives and they can do what ever the hell they want to do.

All this does is put a lot of pressure on Holland. Now teams can ask for a little bit more in return come trade talk.

Depending on the PHX owner outcome Kenny should go for Doan. A 2 year $10M contract, we have money to spend.

#50 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

With the money he was wanting, especially thef****** ridicuulous contract length, I'm glad he signed elsewhere.

Edited by Shoreline, 04 July 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I haven't really worked out all the math but the Wild have almost $36 million tied up in 5 players. Can they really put together a competitive team with what's left??

#52 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I haven't really worked out all the math but the Wild have almost $36 million tied up in 5 players. Can they really put together a competitive team with what's left??

Competitive to make the playoffs? Abolutely. IMO their team is nowhere close to good enough to win the cup though.

Looking at CapGeek, they've got a respectable team.

#53 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

@Helene St. James‏@HeleneStJames

#RedWings weren't close on money for Zach Parise. Weren't going to cough up average cap hit of $7.5 million for him.

Posted Image

#54 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Time to go after Doan.

As much as I wanted Suter and/or Parise, I would've been p issed if we signed them to ridiculously long contracts like that. Both of those contracts will come back to bite them in the ass, guaranteed.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#55 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Competitive to make the playoffs? Abolutely. IMO their team is nowhere close to good enough to win the cup though.

Looking at CapGeek, they've got a respectable team.

I disagree. They had a below-average offense and a very below-average defense last season. Now they have an average offense and a defense that is average at best. They have $2.8m with which to make additions. Parise alone will not be able to make a sufficient improvement to the team's horrible offensive numbers, and Suter will not be able to do so for the defense either.

#56 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

I was never high on Parise. Tootoo will just concuss his ass this season anyway.

#57 centcougar07

centcougar07

Rookie

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Trolololololol

I tried to warn you guys! $7.5 mil cap hits?? Fletcher is af****** god. They both had higher offers with other teams and STILL chose Minnesota.

#58 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Trolololololol

I tried to warn you guys! $7.5 mil cap hits?? Fletcher is af****** god. They both had higher offers with other teams and STILL chose Minnesota.

In about 5 years, those contracts are gonna come back to bite you in the ass.

Trolololololol

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 04 July 2012 - 05:33 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#59 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Damn, we missed on Suter mostly because of Parise. Suter probably preferred Detroit first, but the common ground of playing together was in Minnesota. Wish Parise would have re-signed with the Devils in hindsight now.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#60 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

....and the NHL community gives a collective: WTF?

13 years for a perennial bottom-feeder/mediocre team? They've got to realize that their contracts have just hamstrung the team for at least a few years. Even with their additions I'm not sure that team is a playoff team. There's just not much to build around.

That's a ballsy move to stake your career on a team that has nothing but promises.

Minnesota was dead last in offense last year. Adding one player (albeit a very talented forward) isn't going to improve on that much. And their defense, with the addition of Suter, now has a whopping one notable players.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.