Rate this topic

If we end up signing Doan, check out the ages of our top 6:

Doan: 36

Datsyuk: 34

Zetterberg: 32

Franzen: 33

Filppula: 28

Samuelsson: 35

Oh my god. That's horrible depressing, especially when you consider an ancient Bertuzzi is sitting in the bottom 6. At least our defense is young....... except Smith is really the only one with any potential. Kronwall is already 31. Goddamn.

i just saw darren dregger talking about columbus and nash and how they dont necessarily want just prospects they want hockey players

maybe a franzen,cleary,tatar,kindl and a 1st for rick nash provided we got an understanding shane doan will sign with us to cancel out losing cleary

i know some of you will say franzen is in his 30s and so on but hes a 25-30 goal guy and lets face it no one will trade a star player off there roster for nash , columbus wants couture from sj , wont happen .... im not saying my trade suggestion could be done but its a 4 for 1 deal + the pick and if we sign doan its really a 4 for 2 deal then we'd have to do somethin for a defensemen or 2

Oh my god. That's horrible depressing, especially when you consider an ancient Bertuzzi is sitting in the bottom 6. At least our defense is young....... except Smith is really the only one with any potential. Kronwall is already 31. Goddamn.

i didnt understand when holland signed bertuzzi and now samuelsson they needed to bring in some young guys and put them in and give them experience not put them all in at the same time

Larionov 41

Chelios 40

Yzerman 37

Hull 37

Hasek 37

Robatille 36

Olausson 35

Shanahan 33

Draper 31

Fedorov 31

The wings have been through this before. In the late '90s, their prospect pool didn't look very deep, but then datsyuk and Zetterberg surprised everyone. They already have some young talent (flip, helm, Miller, Smith, quincey) and a few prospects. As long as a couple prospects turn out we should be fine in the future.

I agree that they shouldn't get Doan, but I'm not that concerned about the future.

I also saw a paraphrase that Howson( Columbus) isn't looking for first line players..Holland needs to be ALL over this moreso than Suter and Parise. Nash has added us to his short list when we weren't on it in the beginning. Read between the lines Holland, it may actually be possible to land a guy who is a hockey STUD who really does have legitimate 50 goal capability. Please Kenny, Please go get this guy.

2002 was kind of a special situation, don't you think?

Definitely, but I'm just saying we aren't screwed for the future.

I also saw a paraphrase that Howson( Columbus) isn't looking for first line players..Holland needs to be ALL over this moreso than Suter and Parise. Nash has added us to his short list when we weren't on it in the beginning. Read between the lines Holland, it may actually be possible to land a guy who is a hockey STUD who really does have legitimate 50 goal capability. Please Kenny, Please go get this guy.

What about a huge trade for Nash and Jack Johnson. It would take a lot though

Well, we have to trade now. I don't think there's a high caliber defenseman left in the UFA class. And since we don't even have a full compliment of defensemen, let alone ones who are good enough, we pretty much have to trade now and hope Doan signs with us. There's nothing wrong with Doan, he could help us just as much as Parise...just not long term. But it buys us another year or two. Doan is now the must-sign player, and hopefully he won't just string us along to increase more league interest in him.

Well, we have to trade now. I don't think there's a high caliber defenseman left in the UFA class. And since we don't even have a full compliment of defensemen, let alone ones who are good enough, we pretty much have to trade now and hope Doan signs with us. There's nothing wrong with Doan, he could help us just as much as Parise...just not long term. But it buys us another year or two. Doan is now the must-sign player, and hopefully he won't just string us along to increase more league interest in him.

MLive reports Doans agent has contacted the Wings a few times already.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advannarbor/pm_105108/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=zH31wca5

Edited by Ozzie30

Shane Doan, Phoenix – The power forward's agent has called the Red Wings several times the past couple of days, seeking an offer, and with Parise off the market, Detroit will make a pitch for Doan. However, Doan has stated he won't decide until Monday if he will leave Phoenix, where he has played since 1996. His main concern is whether the team will relocate in 2013-14 due to the unstable ownership situation.

I agree that Nash is the obvious choice, BUT he is also the most expensive in assets...Bobby Ryan is the hands down cheapest in assets choice of the two...ANA wants a 2nd line center, perfect, Franzine is natural center and Filppula is a great center...they would lean towards Filppula because of his connection with Selanne, who then would for sure come back for another year because he has expressed before how much he would want to play with Filppula...I am just worried about the extras needed to complete this trade...

Filppula plus what? in return for Bobby Ryan...

Also, getting Ryan may help us woo Getzlaf or Perry if they choose UFA next year...

I like the Yandle trade too, I just don't think we'd be able to get him without giving up Smith and we do not want to give anymore signed D away...If they would take Quincey in a package instead, that would be great!

So, trade for Ryan....sign Doan....sign Semin...sign Mueller (to replace our lost center position) and trade for Yandle...

Shane Doan, Phoenix – The power forward's agent has called the Red Wings several times the past couple of days, seeking an offer, and with Parise off the market, Detroit will make a pitch for Doan. However, Doan has stated he won't decide until Monday if he will leave Phoenix, where he has played since 1996. His main concern is whether the team will relocate in 2013-14 due to the unstable ownership situation.

I think Doan would have been a great choice, in place of Sammy. A go-to, tough power forward who can score goals. Would have been GREAT. But, alas, since we decided to go down the Sammy rout again, I don't think our lineup can afford yet ANOTHER player entering his twilight.

We need youth. Take a one year shot at Semin. Trade for Ryan and Yandle. Sign Carle to replace Stuart. That's the best I think of at this point. Other than that, just TANK next season and hope for 1st pick.

I think Doan would have been a great choice, in place of Sammy. A go-to, tough power forward who can score goals. Would have been GREAT. But, alas, since we decided to go down the Sammy rout again, I don't think our lineup can afford yet ANOTHER player entering his twilight.

We need youth. Take a one year shot at Semin. Trade for Ryan and Yandle. Sign Carle to replace Stuart. That's the best I think of at this point. Other than that, just TANK next season and hope for 1st pick.

I agree, I would have rather given the spot opened from Hudler leaving to Doan instead of Sammy. The only way i would want Semin or Carle though is one year deals enough to get us through this season and allowing us to pursue the better FA market next year. Problem is Semin and Carle would probably want like 3 to 4 year deals maybe longer.

Edited by Jericho613

Thank God Yzerman is forcing Hollands hand here.

@DarrenDreger: Working on details. Matt Carle is closing in on a deal with Tampa Bay Lightning.

Glad we're not going to over pay him

As much as Doan wouldn't be bad I rather have us try to get younger than signing another guy older than the age of 35 tbh. I really want to see some of our upcoming kids get a chance...

I'd rather get someone younger than Doan, but I don't want Alex Semin here. I've said it time after time and I'll continue to say that he is another Hudler. On top of that, he's probably gonna want a lengthy contract, something I don't wanna give to someone who is extremely streaky. You just never know what kind of effort he's gonna put forth each game. If we could get Doan on board for one year, I'd be happy.

Thank God Yzerman is forcing Hollands hand here.

@DarrenDreger: Working on details. Matt Carle is closing in on a deal with Tampa Bay Lightning.

Glad we're not going to over pay him

That's a huge sigh of relief.

I'd rather get someone younger than Doan, but I don't want Alex Semin here. I've said it time after time and I'll continue to say that he is another Hudler. On top of that, he's probably gonna want a lengthy contract, something I don't wanna give to someone who is extremely streaky. You just never know what kind of effort he's gonna put forth each game. If we could get Doan on board for one year, I'd be happy.

I totally understand your view. Semin IMO would/could put up better numbers offensively than Hudler yet is a risk defensively and yes is very streaky.

If somehow we could get Yandle , Nash or Ryan dunno how you feel about them but if we could somehow involve a trade to get 2 of them. I think it would be better than the overpayment and overhyped players of Parise and Suter.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)