No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

The Next Move

Rate this topic

They took my job....

THEY TOOK MEH JERB!

South park reference... I think. :lol:

I'm not in any kind of panic or concern about this team going forward, maybe it's because I have very high hopes for Smith or maybe it's because Flip proved last season that he can be that scoring player we were hoping he would be. This team wins, and I don't think this upcoming season is going to be any different. It may not be the top seed we are used to but I don't think we are doomed to fail either.

Jeez, one of the most sane posts I've read all week came from a divisional rival. Thank you, your wisdom eludes some of us...

There are some great members here and I truely enjoy this forum. Sure, there is some garbage, like every other team's boards, but best to just skip over. I have all the respect for the wings organization and I find it hard to believe that holland is sitting back plotting the demise of the DRW. I understand it can be difficult being patient as a fan, especially fans that are as passionate as wings fans.

Preds fan coming in peace

I think Detroit will be just fine. Holland will make the right move when the time is right. No need to spend just to spend or trade just to trade. He did his diligence with suter and Parise, but they made a decision to go elsewhere. A couple of dumb moves right now before a new CbA is announced could severely hinder a franchise moving forward. No need to take such risks when you have a solid team at this moment in time, and yes IMO, the wings are solid

Nice to see not all fans of other teams are burning the Wings at the stake right now.

THEY TOOK MEH JERB!

South park reference... I think. :lol:

I'm not in any kind of panic or concern about this team going forward, maybe it's because I have very high hopes for Smith or maybe it's because Flip proved last season that he can be that scoring player we were hoping he would be. This team wins, and I don't think this upcoming season is going to be any different. It may not be the top seed we are used to but I don't think we are doomed to fail either.

I'm one of the guys that strongly believe that Nyquist and Brunner are both gonna top 50 pts too. Until proven otherwise, no one can bash me for saying so. I've seen both play and both are capable to squeeze into the top 6. As far as i'm concerned, the Wings can sign Vandermeer for 1 year and then ride it out til 1 July 2013 and move forward signing guys when a way better UFA crop is available and there's a stable CBA ensuring that there's no post-signing policy surprises.

Guest Crymson

If we trade Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist, and 2 1st rounders for Ryan (5 mil), sign Semin (5 mil), sign Doan (4 mil), and Sign Morrow (4 mil), would anybody be disappointed? I think that would kick some arse.

First off, trading that much for Ryan would be crazy. Second, Semin ain't gonna sign for $5m. Third, Doan ain't gonna sign for $4m. Fourth, Morrow is still under contract for another year.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kenny is in a tough spot right now. Other teams know he does not have any leverage. Does gutting your team and future for Nash or Ryan really help you? Or is it better to sign a couple of stop gaps on cheap 1 year deals and see if Nyquist and Smith can develop into top roles? I expect Kronwall to step up some with the greater responsibility and I also expect Flip to assume more as well. I think too often the team relied too heavily on Lidstrom. They no longer have this option. Anyway the more I think about it the more I believe that Kenny can't really do much right now. He can't be selling off assets for quick fixes. He is not going to get franchsie players for scraps. I think Doan would be a solid addition but will be surprised if he leaves Phoenix. Even if he does, he will likely go to a team much closer to Phoenix than Detroit is. I would sign Semin but we don't know what he is asking for. Maybe Kenny is interested but only in a 2 year deal. Perhaps Semin wants a long term deal worth more than what Kenny is willing to pay. There's not many options right now. It's easy for us to sit here and play Fantasy GM. But in reality, trades are hard to make. You have to deal with the cap issues now and years from now. You have to outbid other teams to get the player. You have to make sure you don't surrender too many assets for potential moves down the road. What if injuries come during the season? Do we have guys we can call up to fill the void? Many factors for Kenny to contemplate. These are just a few. I know it sucks right now. Kenny has to be burning up the phone lines trying to improve his team but it has to make sense. Making panic moves is more Philly's style or Calgary's. We just don't operate that way.

Preds fan coming in peace

I think Detroit will be just fine. Holland will make the right move when the time is right. No need to spend just to spend or trade just to trade. He did his diligence with suter and Parise, but they made a decision to go elsewhere. A couple of dumb moves right now before a new CbA is announced could severely hinder a franchise moving forward. No need to take such risks when you have a solid team at this moment in time, and yes IMO, the wings are solid

Thanks for the kind assessment of our team. It's nice to know there are still decent fans of other teams out there. Despite losing Suter, Radulov and Kostitsyn...I believe the Preds will be fine too. It sucks to lose Suter for no assets. Had to be a kick in the nads to see him sign with the Wild. I know Poile was disappointed. Do you think Weber will re-sign with the Preds long term? I don't get the feeling he will but you being a Preds fan would likely know more than me.

Thanks for the kind assessment of our team. It's nice to know there are still decent fans of other teams out there. Despite losing Suter, Radulov and Kostitsyn...I believe the Preds will be fine too. It sucks to lose Suter for no assets. Had to be a kick in the nads to see him sign with the Wild. I know Poile was disappointed. Do you think Weber will re-sign with the Preds long term? I don't get the feeling he will but you being a Preds fan would likely know more than me.

I honestly believe Shea weber has played his last game in a preds sweater. Poile will put an offer in front of him that makes suter's contract look like pocket change. Contrary to popular belief, money will not be an issue. Weber can sign it or poile will open up the bidding. There is no way poile goes down this road again. The one thing working in nashvilles favor is the uncertainty in regards to the new CbA. If weber wants one of these ridiculous 13 yr contracts, then he needs to sign one with the preds now because I don't see those type of contracts holding up under a new CbA.

As for suter, I wasn't surprised he left but I wish he would have had the balls to be honest with poile from the get go. I don't think suter ever had any intentions on staying and the "family" excuse was a weak way out. Besides all that, suter was skating with one foot out the door every since he made the comments at last years ASG. he was skating away from the play ALOT. He never had his teammates backs. He's not the franchise defenseman a lot of people think he is. Weber, on the other hand, is. I hope I'm wrong and I get to watch him skate out his career in Nashville but I just don't see it. I'll be happy if we can get a team to give us a couple of cups in return for him aka Colorado in the lindros deal when they raked Philly over the coals..i can be optimistic!!

Guest Hatethedrake!

I honestly believe Shea weber has played his last game in a preds sweater. Poile will put an offer in front of him that makes suter's contract look like pocket change. Contrary to popular belief, money will not be an issue. Weber can sign it or poile will open up the bidding. There is no way poile goes down this road again. The one thing working in nashvilles favor is the uncertainty in regards to the new CbA. If weber wants one of these ridiculous 13 yr contracts, then he needs to sign one with the preds now because I don't see those type of contracts holding up under a new CbA.

As for suter, I wasn't surprised he left but I wish he would have had the balls to be honest with poile from the get go. I don't think suter ever had any intentions on staying and the "family" excuse was a weak way out. Besides all that, suter was skating with one foot out the door every since he made the comments at last years ASG. he was skating away from the play ALOT. He never had his teammates backs. He's not the franchise defenseman a lot of people think he is. Weber, on the other hand, is. I hope I'm wrong and I get to watch him skate out his career in Nashville but I just don't see it. I'll be happy if we can get a team to give us a couple of cups in return for him aka Colorado in the lindros deal when they raked Philly over the coals..i can be optimistic!!

Most people on this board never believed Suter was staying in Nashville. Which is why I was surprised Poile seemed to be in such denial. I don't believe Weber wants to stay either because if he were then he would have signed a long term contract extension last summer. I think he is still pissed off Poile lowballed him last summer. The arbitrator gave Weber his contract last season. If Poile does trade Weber this summer, I would bet on the Flyers. Poile and Holmgren have quite a bit of trade history between the 2 of them. GMs tend to deal with other GMs they feel comfortable with. The Flyers are in the East and I think Poile would sooner move Weber there than to a team in the West where he would face the Preds more during the season. The Flyers have alot of forward depth they can deal the Preds. Poile has to get some assets back for Weber for sure. He can't repeat the same mistake he made with Suter. I believe Suter is a very good dman but not a franchise guy. He is being paid like one though. I was disappointed the Wings didn't get him but UFAs can sign where they like. Holland tried his best. That's all I can ask as a fan. Hopefully Poile doesn't let this drag on like Howson is in Columbus. I am already sick of hearing about Rick Nash. Weber is a franchise dman and teams will be willing to pay a huge price for him. I just believe he ends up in Philly. We shall see.

Most people on this board never believed Suter was staying in Nashville. Which is why I was surprised Poile seemed to be in such denial. I don't believe Weber wants to stay either because if he were then he would have signed a long term contract extension last summer. I think he is still pissed off Poile lowballed him last summer. The arbitrator gave Weber his contract last season. If Poile does trade Weber this summer, I would bet on the Flyers. Poile and Holmgren have quite a bit of trade history between the 2 of them. GMs tend to deal with other GMs they feel comfortable with. The Flyers are in the East and I think Poile would sooner move Weber there than to a team in the West where he would face the Preds more during the season. The Flyers have alot of forward depth they can deal the Preds. Poile has to get some assets back for Weber for sure. He can't repeat the same mistake he made with Suter. I believe Suter is a very good dman but not a franchise guy. He is being paid like one though. I was disappointed the Wings didn't get him but UFAs can sign where they like. Holland tried his best. That's all I can ask as a fan. Hopefully Poile doesn't let this drag on like Howson is in Columbus. I am already sick of hearing about Rick Nash. Weber is a franchise dman and teams will be willing to pay a huge price for him. I just believe he ends up in Philly. We shall see.

Poile won't drag this out with weber. He will put an overwhelming offer in front of him and make him say no, which I believe he will. Unlike the dis functional front office in Columbus , Poile already knows who he wants and what he can get in return for weber. I believe it will happen rather quickly once they place their offer in front of him. Like you, i would put Philly at the top of the list if this is how this plays out.

Guest Crymson

Oh look, someone who knows nothing about our team declaring we're all good. And the Holland poodles are doing flips. What joy!

esteef

It's sad (for you) that a fan of another team has more faith in the Wings than you do.

Edited by Crymson

Poile won't drag this out with weber. He will put an overwhelming offer in front of him and make him say no, which I believe he will. Unlike the dis functional front office in Columbus , Poile already knows who he wants and what he can get in return for weber. I believe it will happen rather quickly once they place their offer in front of him. Like you, i would put Philly at the top of the list if this is how this plays out.

The only thing thoug is that if Weber goes to Philly, the Preds would have to do a sign and trade cause they're not gonna get what they want in a trade if it's just for the rights to sign Weber. I have a feeling that Weber will be a Pred for 1 more year and then test UFA, and also that is the only scenario that will give the Wings a chance to get him. The price to get Weber via trade would be far too steep for most teams in the NHL and if Weber only signs for 1 year and goes on the trading block, teams may not trade away 4-5 pieces of their roster/depth to get a 1 year rental.

The only thing thoug is that if Weber goes to Philly, the Preds would have to do a sign and trade cause they're not gonna get what they want in a trade if it's just for the rights to sign Weber. I have a feeling that Weber will be a Pred for 1 more year and then test UFA, and also that is the only scenario that will give the Wings a chance to get him. The price to get Weber via trade would be far too steep for most teams in the NHL and if Weber only signs for 1 year and goes on the trading block, teams may not trade away 4-5 pieces of their roster/depth to get a 1 year rental.

If weber refuses to sign the long term deal that poile places in front of him, poile will look to deal him to a city that's on weber's list. Poile won't have a problem getting a nice package in return especially since he will be dealing him to a team that weber wants to play for. I still hope I'm wrong and weber stays. Poile and weber are supposed to begin talking next week so it should all play out pretty soon.

I have faith in the Wings, just not Holland. But thanks for paying attention.

esteef

I've been pretty cheesed at Holland a few times in the past few years, but i'm trying to look at the positives this offseason.

- We finally get to see more than 1 prospect, and not just on the 4th line playing 3 mins per game

- Brunner was the league leader in points in the Swiss League...lame league or not, he led it.

- Hudler is gone.

- Tootoo hits, fights, has grit.

- Smith and Nyquist are both really good.

- Sammy gets less points than Hudler (barely) and has a significantly better 2-way game.

and

EVERY PLAYER HOLLAND DRAFTED THIS YEAR IS 6 FEET OR TALLER! WOO! :dance: ...for a change.

I'm actually looking forward to this season and i hope Smith, Nyquist and Brunner tear it up and all top 50 pts. Then there's a real UFA crop next offseason, not just the Thunder Buddies and Semin.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=custance_craig&id=8170835&_slug_=nhl-important-summer-gustav-nyquist-other-detroit-red-wings-prospects&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2fblog%3fname%3dcustance_craig%26id%3d8170835%26_slug_%3dnhl-important-summer-gustav-nyquist-other-detroit-red-wings-prospects

They missed out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and they're on Rick Nash's list of potential destinations, according to the Columbus Dispatch. But the Detroit Red Wings aren't overly eager to pay Scott Howson's asking price. It's a price that's probably higher for a division rival since the last thing the Columbus Blue Jackets want is to have their former captain terrorizing them for the next decade within the division.

When Red Wings GM Ken Holland met with local media last week, it came with warnings that the big addition fans hoped for this summer might not materialize immediately. In today's NHL, where teams are more likely to extend the contracts of their star players rather than trade them, it makes attracting elite talent in free agency all the more challenging.

It also makes talent development absolutely crucial.

"You have no choice in the new era of the NHL," said Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill when we chatted Monday morning. "We saw it this summer. We're all locking our guys up from four- to 10-year contracts. [There aren't] a lot of free agents on the market."

That combination makes this summer and the coming season the most important in recent memory for Red Wings prospects. The last time the organization lost key players toretirement, they replaced them with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. Chances are, that's not happening in the wake of Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement.

"It's more quantity," Nill said of Detroit's pool of prospects. "You have to have a wave of players coming in."

scoreboard_arrow.gif To read more about five important prospects for the Detroit Red Wings, plsu to getaccess to all of Insider's NHL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.

http://insider.espn....wings-prospects

They missed out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and they're on Rick Nash's list of potential destinations, according to the Columbus Dispatch. But the Detroit Red Wings aren't overly eager to pay Scott Howson's asking price. It's a price that's probably higher for a division rival since the last thing the Columbus Blue Jackets want is to have their former captain terrorizing them for the next decade within the division.

When Red Wings GM Ken Holland met with local media last week, it came with warnings that the big addition fans hoped for this summer might not materialize immediately. In today's NHL, where teams are more likely to extend the contracts of their star players rather than trade them, it makes attracting elite talent in free agency all the more challenging.

It also makes talent development absolutely crucial.

"You have no choice in the new era of the NHL," said Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill when we chatted Monday morning. "We saw it this summer. We're all locking our guys up from four- to 10-year contracts. [There aren't] a lot of free agents on the market."

That combination makes this summer and the coming season the most important in recent memory for Red Wings prospects. The last time the organization lost key players toretirement, they replaced them with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. Chances are, that's not happening in the wake of Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement.

"It's more quantity," Nill said of Detroit's pool of prospects. "You have to have a wave of players coming in."

scoreboard_arrow.gif To read more about five important prospects for the Detroit Red Wings, plsu to getaccess to all of Insider's NHL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Hmmm, if the next move is to re-sign Abby and Q and that is it...then seriously, who gets called up to be the #7 defender? Do you think Sproul could make the jump with no GR experience? Plus, again, who is gone up front? Emmy, Mursak, Miller, Eaves would be the 4 extra forwards, two would have to go...

Apparently we're waiting on Shane Doan and won't do anything until that get figured out.

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/225289408411222016

Holland must believe we still have a shot at him even though the situation in Phoenix looks pretty good right now, so I don't see him leaving. Not to mention, the deals that have been getting thrown his way from other teams, there's no way we're competing with that.