The Next Move

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#221 cchase231

cchase231

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

If the Wings dont get Semin, Holland should be out of a job. All agreed?

I like semin's ability but his attitude and off ice behaviors have me nervous about committing any serious money to him. One pain in the ass can change the dynamic of the whole locker room. Since he hasn't been signed yet I'm guessing this is a major concern for teams and there is some truth to the rumors.

#222 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Dats and Z know how the Wings roll. They can keep Semin under control.

#223 cchase231

cchase231

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Maybe, but you gotta wonder about a guy with his ability making it this far into free agency. Definitely not a good sign. I personally think the best best thing he could do is sign a I-2yr deal come to Detroit and play his ass off. You gotta think he could put up some huge numbers with dats. Then get that fat contract he wants. He is going to have to prove he is not a cancer if he wants to make the big bucks.

#224 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Good call.

#225 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Gonna throw an under the radar name out there: Alexandre Picard... Defense 6'3" 215lbs. He isn't your star studded defender, but he seems like a big stay at home guy who just goes about his business he is still young at 26, has 253 NHL games experience...could be a guy to come in to round out the bottom pairing if Holland sticks with Q's awarded contract and cannot land a big name via trade...

he is a UFA and only made $600,000 last season in Pitt. Any thoughts?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#226 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

I would still like to see Mueller signed here...24 years old, loads of potential, and with his health could be had for pretty cheap. That is a win/win situation all around...also Daniel Winnik is a solid winger that is a stay at home player that would add some dimension to this club... I like both of these guys more than Mursak or Emmerton...they'd cost more though...but these are just two examples proving that there are plan c's out there that would help our team...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#227 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

That statement is consummately arbitrary and without any logical basis.

Well lets have a look at Flip's production prior to his "breakout" seaon he just had shall we?

2010/2011 39 pts
2009/2010 35 pts
2008/2009 40 pts
2007/2008 36 pts

You're right...He's not a 40 to 45 pts guy...More like a 35 to 40 pts guy.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#228 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

We got the cap room. Something will get done.

On a random note though.... I totally just met the Justin Chancellor the bass player from Tool.

I was riding my bike in Kincaid park. Ran into him at a rest area. He said they just finished the new Album and are mixing it right now to CD. I also ran into a huge Moose.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#229 ZigZagYourTorso

ZigZagYourTorso

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

I know that the overwhelming consensus would be completely against this. But, does anyone think that maybe blowing up the team would be the best move? I'm not even sold on the idea my own self...but it's just something to discuss while we wait and see if anything happens to improve our team.

Maybe doing what Philly did could help us, especially in the long run. Trading Zetterberg and/or Datsyuk for very high end younger players with superstar potential before they both decline to the point of having no value..... We could maybe fetch players like Oliver Ekman-Larson (who I believe will be the best defenseman in the league for a long time), Brayden Schenn, Evander Kane, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Burmistrov, Patrik Berglund, Bobby Ryan...ect...

Trust me, my heart would shatter trading away either of them, regardless of the return. But, sometimes things like that can end up being a huge blessing is disguise....Any thoughts? Please don't kill me for bringing up the idea of it :tomato:
The cake is a lie...

#230 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I know that the overwhelming consensus would be completely against this. But, does anyone think that maybe blowing up the team would be the best move? I'm not even sold on the idea my own self...but it's just something to discuss while we wait and see if anything happens to improve our team.

Maybe doing what Philly did could help us, especially in the long run. Trading Zetterberg and/or Datsyuk for very high end younger players with superstar potential before they both decline to the point of having no value..... We could maybe fetch players like Oliver Ekman-Larson (who I believe will be the best defenseman in the league for a long time), Brayden Schenn, Evander Kane, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Burmistrov, Patrik Berglund, Bobby Ryan...ect...

Trust me, my heart would shatter trading away either of them, regardless of the return. But, sometimes things like that can end up being a huge blessing is disguise....Any thoughts? Please don't kill me for bringing up the idea of it :tomato:

The same thing would happen to us that happened to Philly, whoever got Dats and Z would win the cup :) Seriously though, we rag on Detroit for being unnecessarily loyal, (and that maybe so) but with Dats and Z the loyalty is important.

#231 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wouldn't trade Z or Pav but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they shopped Mule and Fil to see what the offers might be.

#232 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Fil would bring you Ryan...plain and simple...

Filppula, Mursak, Tatar, 2nd rounder gets us Bobby Ryan....MAKE THE FLIPPIN TRADE!

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#233 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Losing Flip and gaining Ryan is a wash. That would be dumb.

#234 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Filppula, Mursak, Tatar, 2nd rounder gets us Bobby Ryan....MAKE THE FLIPPIN TRADE!

How do you know this? Have you spoken with Bob Murray? If so, what else did he say?

#235 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Agreed.

As I mentioned earlier - the chances of Filppula having another 60 plus pts a season is rather slim...IMHO it would be wise for Holland to use this time to his advantage while Filppula's value is at an all-time high.

If riding shotgun to Datsyuk rewards Ryan with 40 plus goals - nobody here will complain about what it took to acquire him.

#236 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well lets have a look at Flip's production prior to his "breakout" seaon he just had shall we?

2010/2011 39 pts
2009/2010 35 pts
2008/2009 40 pts
2007/2008 36 pts

You're right...He's not a 40 to 45 pts guy...More like a 35 to 40 pts guy.

I do not see the reasoning behind your claim that a young, developing player who has finally hit his stride should suddenly regress to past numbers. By your logic, no young player who ever had a few seasons with the same numbers would ever improve.

#237 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

How do you know this? Have you spoken with Bob Murray? If so, what else did he say?

Bob told me to ignore you.

#238 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Losing Flip and gaining Ryan is a wash. That would be dumb.

If Filppula were a 60 plus pts player year after year then I would tend to agree...This past season was a nice accomplishment for him, but as his previous seasons suggest he's not likely to be as productive as he was this past season.

Filppula's 28 years old - not some 22 year old kid...Look at other players around the league such as Erik Cole, and Michael Ryder; both had a productive 2011/2012 season, but previous seasons were not quite so.

I'm not saying it's impossible for Filppula to have another 60 plus pts a season - just that it's unlikely...If we can land a 25 year old legit top line winger who's capable of scoring 30 to 40 goals a year - then why not look into it?

#239 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Flip produces on a point per game level when given 1st and 2nd line minutes. .5 per game when filling his normal 3rd line duties. What more can he do?

#240 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Saying Val Filppula is a wash with Bobby Ryan, you are on crack....Hey, maybe they'll trade us Ryan and a 1st rounder for Flip?

Here's the problem, sure Flip and Ryan are the main cogs, but Holland will have to sweetin the deal in order to secure him. Throwing in two NHL ready prospects and a pick should more than entice Murray enough to trade Ryan to us...not unless Columbus offers them Rick Nash...

Everything I have said is all speculation, of course, I do not know Mr. Murray, but he had said he wants a 2nd line center and some young talent...Could there be other teams with 2nd line centers they are willing to trade? Of course! I maintain that Holland has the trump in Filppula though, because of Selanne wanting to play with Flip in the NHL. He was asked last trade deadline if he would like to play with Flip and he said that when they play together on team Finland, they have great chemistry and he would enjoy playing in the NHL with him. Selanne has said he'd like to come back for another year and of course he only wants to play in Anaheim. Couple all that together and it's almost like a marriage made in Heaven. Murray gets Flip AND Selanne...PLUS he gets two NHL ready prospects AND a pick...We get Bobby Ryan, 24 year old phenom who is signed for three more years at a great rate and who will help usher in the next 20 years of dominance! We get younger, get a player at a position WE NEED, they get a player at a position THEY NEED and all are happy...

Both sides would be crazy not to do this deal....Now, not unless Holland wants Nash more than Ryan, then we are talking a whole new ballgame!

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!