• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

The Next Move

Rate this topic

Sheesh....I dunno about Nyquist for Bouwmeester.... I am sure Nyquist is on everyones trade list...I think Tatar is just as ready as Nyquist for the NHL, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a package, but Nyquist......on the fence...

Is Bouwmeester worth Nyquist? If so, I'd include Hudler's old buddy Cleary in that package...looking at Capgeek, damn thats an awful large salary of Bouwmeester's....I'd rather go for Yandle all out if I am including Nyquist...

no way in hell Nyquist goes to Calgary in a trade for Bouwmeester, who has sucked for the past 3 years. Nyquist at this point has way more value and doesn't have a ridiculous contract where he's overpaid by 3-4 mil.

Number9, what is a "plethora"?

Ha ha ha ha

Do you need a dictionary?

I'm a little worried about you. It's really not that confusing or humorous.... We have too many bottom-6 players, not 1 or 2 extra guys, but 4 extra guys. Simple....

Sorry, just don't agree with you. I agree with who you consider our definite top 6 guys, but I just don't feel Bert, Sammy, Cleary or Gus are potential top 6 guys. Brunner maybe, but come on, you can't bank on it as he's never stepped foot in the NHL.

And also, as I've been saying voer and over, I think it's very concerning that 3 of our 4 legit top 6 guys are approaching mid 30's.

Not banking on Brunner at all, he could be a total bust. But Ken and Babs seem to think he's top-6 capable so I put him in contention.

Say your right, our 2nd line is weaker than it should be....Well our 3rd line is also a lot stronger than it usually is. That kind of depth is ok with me.

We can't trade away those mid 30's guys though and trading away Fil for Nash or Ryan aint gonna fix anything age wise.

At this Point I just want Holland to get a #3 D-man, and hope that Ericsson and Kindl both take steps forward, because of they do the team would have 6 second pairing D-men, and hopefully with Fil, Dats, and Z all being amazing 2 ways players that it could be enough to be defensively sound (not elite, but sound).

Not banking on Brunner at all, he could be a total bust. But Ken and Babs seem to think he's top-6 capable so I put him in contention.

Say your right, our 2nd line is weaker than it should be....Well our 3rd line is also a lot stronger than it usually is. That kind of depth is ok with me.

We can't trade away those mid 30's guys though and trading away Fil for Nash or Ryan aint gonna fix anything age wise.

Real quick, 2 seasons ago Babs said that he expected 70 points out of Hudler. Just saying.

make a trade for the best dmen you can aquire, then try to sign doan, if not make a trade for another top six winger -we have picks, good prospects and roster players. We have too many small prospects move some of them.

Agree for the most part, which is why our ONLY option is to sign a potential 40 goal scorer in Semin.

There will be no trades for a forward this offseason, Holland isn't that stupid. Especially these high profile players where you're pretty much guaranteed to get screwed over. With the FA pool being so bad this year we acquired enough forwards that we can use them to trade for something we don't have enough of, defensemen. Are you people really that short sighted that when you hear a high profile player is on the trading block you don't even take into consideration the shape our team is in right now. We've upgraded our forwards already, now we have to trade for defence. Signing Doan or Semin is all you can ask for in forward department.

There will be no trades for a forward this offseason, Holland isn't that stupid. Especially these high profile players where you're pretty much guaranteed to get screwed over. With the FA pool being so bad this year we acquired enough forwards that we can use them to trade for something we don't have enough of, defensemen. Are you people really that short sighted that when you hear a high profile player is on the trading block you don't even take into consideration the shape our team is in right now. We've upgraded our forwards already, now we have to trade for defence. Signing Doan or Semin is all you can ask for in forward department.

Well spoken

I don't even think you can expect to sign Doan. There's like a 95% chance he goes back to PHX.

Just a thought and he's really nothing that could really help us out in a huge way, but maybe a guy like Tim Gleason could help us out a little bit. Trade him for something small. He's physical and could definitely help out our D. 29 years old though. Not so much an offensive defensemen, but he can get dirty. Remember he took a puck to the face and came back later that game. A guy to maybe fill in a small hole. Don't rip me for a tiny suggestion that you guys might think is idiotic. :b

Just a thought and he's really nothing that could really help us out in a huge way, but maybe a guy like Tim Gleason could help us out a little bit. Trade him for something small. He's physical and could definitely help out our D. 29 years old though. Not so much an offensive defensemen, but he can get dirty. Remember he took a puck to the face and came back later that game. A guy to maybe fill in a small hole. Don't rip me for a tiny suggestion that you guys might think is idiotic. :b

anyone who'd rip you for that suggestion is a fool based on skill alone, he'd be a great addition here... The only hangup I see, is that he's on the Hurricanes... With the hated between Illitch and Karmanos, I can't see a deal between the Wings and Canes happening, but I like where your head is at...

The Canes just re-signed him this past season. If they were planning to trade him, they would have shopped him at the deadline or draft. He also has a NTC. Aside from that, yeah, he's a good player that many of us were hoping to get at the deadline or as a UFA.

The Canes just re-signed him this past season. If they were planning to trade him, they would have shopped him at the deadline or draft. He also has a NTC. Aside from that, yeah, he's a good player that many of us were hoping to get at the deadline or as a UFA.

That too, haha

The Wings have not upgrade on Forward, they have move laterally on forward at best. Sammy is a year older and playing with worse line mates, so no way hes a 50 point player, especially if he lands on the third line. Brunner is an unproven commodity, and shouldn't be counted on to be anything until he shows he can make the transition to the NA game. Tootoo is a spare part that was benched by the Preds at the end of last season and during the playoffs on a Preds team that is not deep at Forward. Add to this Bertuzzi and Cleary are both a year older and not showing signs of not declining I don't see how you can say they are better in the forward department. Add the less dangerous offense to a defense that has taken at least a step and a half backwards, well... the bright side is a down year could reduce Howard's value on his next contract anyway.

The Wings have not upgrade on Forward, they have move laterally on forward at best. Sammy is a year older and playing with worse line mates, so no way hes a 50 point player, especially if he lands on the third line. Brunner is an unproven commodity, and shouldn't be counted on to be anything until he shows he can make the transition to the NA game. Tootoo is a spare part that was benched by the Preds at the end of last season and during the playoffs on a Preds team that is not deep at Forward. Add to this Bertuzzi and Cleary are both a year older and not showing signs of not declining I don't see how you can say they are better in the forward department. Add the less dangerous offense to a defense that has taken at least a step and a half backwards, well... the bright side is a down year could reduce Howard's value on his next contract anyway.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Franzen

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Hudler

Cleary - Helm - Holmstrom

Miller - Abdelkader - Eaves

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Brunner ------- Bruns is supposedly grittier n faster than Huds and alot of teams were after him. big ? though

Cleary - Helm - Samuelsson ---------- Homer had 24pts in 74gp last year, Sammy had 28pts in 48gp

Tootoo - Abdelkader - Eaves ---------Toots had 30pts in 77gp last year, Miller had 25pts in 80gp, and Toots provides snarl/grit

So as we stand right now id say the bottom-6 definitely got better

The top-6 lost Huds...big whoop...I wouldn't be surprised if Nyquist made the team this year and adequately replaced him if Brunner can't. It's too soon to tell but my guess is the top-6 is pretty much the same caliber wise as it was last year.

Edited by number9

Guest The Axe

We have not gotten any better at forward. That is clear. Semin and Doan would change that.

I still don't understand the severity of people's fear for the upcoming season, given the roster we have now. We have plenty of depth up front and I'd be surprised if we don't at least trade some players for picks, but more than likely for a defenseman. I don't see our defense as being as bad as some crazies think it is. Is it going to take a hit? Yes, of course, but sometimes you need to have a little adversity to become a stronger team in the end, and that is what I believe you'll see with our present roster. Our offense is just as good as last year and I believe will contend for top 3 this season. We added some snarl and will have a little more grit to our game. Having a healthy Helm back is huge, as is Eaves (if he doesn't get traded for another asset).

I just think there is a lot of fear that is misappropriated. We tried hard to get the top players this offseason, and it just didn't end up that way, but that is no reason to freak out or start calling for Holland's head. I'm sure he's still working the phones.

Simmer down everyone!

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Hudler

Cleary - Helm - Holmstrom

Miller - Abdelkader - Eaves

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Brunner ------- Bruns is supposedly grittier n faster than Huds and alot of teams were after him. big ? though

Cleary - Helm - Samuelsson ---------- Homer had 24pts in 74gp last year, Sammy had 28pts in 48gp

Tootoo - Abdelkader - Eaves ---------Toots had 30pts in 77gp last year, Miller had 25pts in 80gp, and Toots provides snarl/grit

So as we stand right now id say the bottom-6 definitely got better

The top-6 lost Huds...big whoop...I wouldn't be surprised if Nyquist made the team this year and adequately replaced him if Brunner can't. It's too soon to tell but my guess is the top-6 is pretty much the same caliber wise as it was last year.

Tootoo is not as good defensively, and will be a 14th forward on this team.

And a lot of 'ifs' in the top six, which with the questionable state of the back end is not what the Wings need. They need to not only make up the 50 pts and 25 goals of Hudler but also make up the goals that Lidstrom and Stuart prevented. I would honestly say that between Lidstrom and Stuart there were at least 20 goal prevented over replacement, and as many as 30 goals prevented. Lets take the middle of those two at 25 goals. This means to keep the same goals for/goals against differential they need make up for the 18 goals from Stuart and Lidstrom, the 25 goals from Hudler, and the goals prevented by Stuart and Lidstrom, this is a total of around 70 goals difference over last year. Now the question is the offense's ability to score coupled with the defenses ability to prevent goals able to account for that ~70 goals? I say if EVERYTHING goes perfectly, yes it is. But how many season does everything go perfectly? 82 games are not a sprint or a marathon, its a war of attrition.

Tootoo is not as good defensively, and will be a 14th forward on this team.

And a lot of 'ifs' in the top six, which with the questionable state of the back end is not what the Wings need. They need to not only make up the 50 pts and 25 goals of Hudler but also make up the goals that Lidstrom and Stuart prevented. I would honestly say that between Lidstrom and Stuart there were at least 20 goal prevented over replacement, and as many as 30 goals prevented. Lets take the middle of those two at 25 goals. This means to keep the same goals for/goals against differential they need make up for the 18 goals from Stuart and Lidstrom, the 25 goals from Hudler, and the goals prevented by Stuart and Lidstrom, this is a total of around 70 goals difference over last year. Now the question is the offense's ability to score coupled with the defenses ability to prevent goals able to account for that ~70 goals? I say if EVERYTHING goes perfectly, yes it is. But how many season does everything go perfectly? 82 games are not a sprint or a marathon, its a war of attrition.

Yeah... I'm sure we'll have a 14th forward, riding the pine, making $1.9 million per season. Let's be a little more realistic here. Tootoo will be on the 4th line at least. He may even see some powerplay time in front of the net ala Holmstrom.

I still don't understand the severity of people's fear for the upcoming season, given the roster we have now. We have plenty of depth up front and I'd be surprised if we don't at least trade some players for picks, but more than likely for a defenseman. I don't see our defense as being as bad as some crazies think it is. Is it going to take a hit? Yes, of course, but sometimes you need to have a little adversity to become a stronger team in the end, and that is what I believe you'll see with our present roster. Our offense is just as good as last year and I believe will contend for top 3 this season. We added some snarl and will have a little more grit to our game. Having a healthy Helm back is huge, as is Eaves (if he doesn't get traded for another asset).

I just think there is a lot of fear that is misappropriated. We tried hard to get the top players this offseason, and it just didn't end up that way, but that is no reason to freak out or start calling for Holland's head. I'm sure he's still working the phones.

Simmer down everyone!

It's just the lack of top 6 depth. On a serious note, lets say the re-sign Abby, who then is on the outs? This worries me a bit. It'll be be a fight in training camp...you have to believe that Brunner will be on the roster along with Nyquist...Miller has given so much to this team and Eaves was playing awesome hockey when he got hurt...Add Doan to this mix and it just gets more crowded...

Sheesh! What a log jam!

Gustav Nyquist / Pavel Datsyuk / Johan Franzen

Valtteri Filppula / Henrik Zetterberg / Mikael Samuelsson

Todd Bertuzzi / Darren Helm / Damien Brunner

Danny Cleary / Justin Abdelkader / Jordin Tootoo

Jan Mursak / Patrick Eaves / Drew Miller

Cory Emmerton