• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#341 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I honestly believe Shea weber has played his last game in a preds sweater. Poile will put an offer in front of him that makes suter's contract look like pocket change. Contrary to popular belief, money will not be an issue. Weber can sign it or poile will open up the bidding. There is no way poile goes down this road again. The one thing working in nashvilles favor is the uncertainty in regards to the new CbA. If weber wants one of these ridiculous 13 yr contracts, then he needs to sign one with the preds now because I don't see those type of contracts holding up under a new CbA.
As for suter, I wasn't surprised he left but I wish he would have had the balls to be honest with poile from the get go. I don't think suter ever had any intentions on staying and the "family" excuse was a weak way out. Besides all that, suter was skating with one foot out the door every since he made the comments at last years ASG. he was skating away from the play ALOT. He never had his teammates backs. He's not the franchise defenseman a lot of people think he is. Weber, on the other hand, is. I hope I'm wrong and I get to watch him skate out his career in Nashville but I just don't see it. I'll be happy if we can get a team to give us a couple of cups in return for him aka Colorado in the lindros deal when they raked Philly over the coals..i can be optimistic!!

Most people on this board never believed Suter was staying in Nashville. Which is why I was surprised Poile seemed to be in such denial. I don't believe Weber wants to stay either because if he were then he would have signed a long term contract extension last summer. I think he is still pissed off Poile lowballed him last summer. The arbitrator gave Weber his contract last season. If Poile does trade Weber this summer, I would bet on the Flyers. Poile and Holmgren have quite a bit of trade history between the 2 of them. GMs tend to deal with other GMs they feel comfortable with. The Flyers are in the East and I think Poile would sooner move Weber there than to a team in the West where he would face the Preds more during the season. The Flyers have alot of forward depth they can deal the Preds. Poile has to get some assets back for Weber for sure. He can't repeat the same mistake he made with Suter. I believe Suter is a very good dman but not a franchise guy. He is being paid like one though. I was disappointed the Wings didn't get him but UFAs can sign where they like. Holland tried his best. That's all I can ask as a fan. Hopefully Poile doesn't let this drag on like Howson is in Columbus. I am already sick of hearing about Rick Nash. Weber is a franchise dman and teams will be willing to pay a huge price for him. I just believe he ends up in Philly. We shall see.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#342 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

If Poile opens up trade talks, then forget landing him....I do not want to give up Smith for him...I want him to play with Smith...so, not unless he gets traded somewhere and still only signs a one year deal, Weber won't be a Red Wings anytime soon.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#343 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Most people on this board never believed Suter was staying in Nashville. Which is why I was surprised Poile seemed to be in such denial. I don't believe Weber wants to stay either because if he were then he would have signed a long term contract extension last summer. I think he is still pissed off Poile lowballed him last summer. The arbitrator gave Weber his contract last season. If Poile does trade Weber this summer, I would bet on the Flyers. Poile and Holmgren have quite a bit of trade history between the 2 of them. GMs tend to deal with other GMs they feel comfortable with. The Flyers are in the East and I think Poile would sooner move Weber there than to a team in the West where he would face the Preds more during the season. The Flyers have alot of forward depth they can deal the Preds. Poile has to get some assets back for Weber for sure. He can't repeat the same mistake he made with Suter. I believe Suter is a very good dman but not a franchise guy. He is being paid like one though. I was disappointed the Wings didn't get him but UFAs can sign where they like. Holland tried his best. That's all I can ask as a fan. Hopefully Poile doesn't let this drag on like Howson is in Columbus. I am already sick of hearing about Rick Nash. Weber is a franchise dman and teams will be willing to pay a huge price for him. I just believe he ends up in Philly. We shall see.

Poile won't drag this out with weber. He will put an overwhelming offer in front of him and make him say no, which I believe he will. Unlike the dis functional front office in Columbus , Poile already knows who he wants and what he can get in return for weber. I believe it will happen rather quickly once they place their offer in front of him. Like you, i would put Philly at the top of the list if this is how this plays out.

#344 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

Oh look, someone who knows nothing about our team declaring we're all good. And the Holland poodles are doing flips. What joy!

esteef

It's sad (for you) that a fan of another team has more faith in the Wings than you do.

Edited by Crymson, 12 July 2012 - 04:31 AM.

#345 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Poile won't drag this out with weber. He will put an overwhelming offer in front of him and make him say no, which I believe he will. Unlike the dis functional front office in Columbus , Poile already knows who he wants and what he can get in return for weber. I believe it will happen rather quickly once they place their offer in front of him. Like you, i would put Philly at the top of the list if this is how this plays out.

The only thing thoug is that if Weber goes to Philly, the Preds would have to do a sign and trade cause they're not gonna get what they want in a trade if it's just for the rights to sign Weber. I have a feeling that Weber will be a Pred for 1 more year and then test UFA, and also that is the only scenario that will give the Wings a chance to get him. The price to get Weber via trade would be far too steep for most teams in the NHL and if Weber only signs for 1 year and goes on the trading block, teams may not trade away 4-5 pieces of their roster/depth to get a 1 year rental.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#346 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

The only thing thoug is that if Weber goes to Philly, the Preds would have to do a sign and trade cause they're not gonna get what they want in a trade if it's just for the rights to sign Weber. I have a feeling that Weber will be a Pred for 1 more year and then test UFA, and also that is the only scenario that will give the Wings a chance to get him. The price to get Weber via trade would be far too steep for most teams in the NHL and if Weber only signs for 1 year and goes on the trading block, teams may not trade away 4-5 pieces of their roster/depth to get a 1 year rental.

If weber refuses to sign the long term deal that poile places in front of him, poile will look to deal him to a city that's on weber's list. Poile won't have a problem getting a nice package in return especially since he will be dealing him to a team that weber wants to play for. I still hope I'm wrong and weber stays. Poile and weber are supposed to begin talking next week so it should all play out pretty soon.

#347 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

It's sad (for you) that a fan of another team has more faith in the Wings than you do.

I have faith in the Wings, just not Holland. But thanks for paying attention.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#348 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have faith in the Wings, just not Holland. But thanks for paying attention.

esteef

I've been pretty cheesed at Holland a few times in the past few years, but i'm trying to look at the positives this offseason.

- We finally get to see more than 1 prospect, and not just on the 4th line playing 3 mins per game
- Brunner was the league leader in points in the Swiss League...lame league or not, he led it.
- Hudler is gone.
- Tootoo hits, fights, has grit.
- Smith and Nyquist are both really good.
- Sammy gets less points than Hudler (barely) and has a significantly better 2-way game.
and
EVERY PLAYER HOLLAND DRAFTED THIS YEAR IS 6 FEET OR TALLER! WOO! :dance: ...for a change.

I'm actually looking forward to this season and i hope Smith, Nyquist and Brunner tear it up and all top 50 pts. Then there's a real UFA crop next offseason, not just the Thunder Buddies and Semin.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#349 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://insider.espn....wings-prospects

They missed out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and they're on Rick Nash's list of potential destinations, according to the Columbus Dispatch. But the Detroit Red Wings aren't overly eager to pay Scott Howson's asking price. It's a price that's probably higher for a division rival since the last thing the Columbus Blue Jackets want is to have their former captain terrorizing them for the next decade within the division.

When Red Wings GM Ken Holland met with local media last week, it came with warnings that the big addition fans hoped for this summer might not materialize immediately. In today's NHL, where teams are more likely to extend the contracts of their star players rather than trade them, it makes attracting elite talent in free agency all the more challenging.

It also makes talent development absolutely crucial.

"You have no choice in the new era of the NHL," said Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill when we chatted Monday morning. "We saw it this summer. We're all locking our guys up from four- to 10-year contracts. [There aren't] a lot of free agents on the market."

That combination makes this summer and the coming season the most important in recent memory for Red Wings prospects. The last time the organization lost key players toretirement, they replaced them with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. Chances are, that's not happening in the wake of Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement.

"It's more quantity," Nill said of Detroit's pool of prospects. "You have to have a wave of players coming in."

Posted Image To read more about five important prospects for the Detroit Red Wings, plsu to getaccess to all of Insider's NHL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#350 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Oh look, someone who knows nothing about our team declaring we're all good. And the Holland poodles are doing flips. What joy!

esteef

I Liked This, not gonna lie.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#351 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

http://insider.espn....wings-prospects

They missed out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and they're on Rick Nash's list of potential destinations, according to the Columbus Dispatch. But the Detroit Red Wings aren't overly eager to pay Scott Howson's asking price. It's a price that's probably higher for a division rival since the last thing the Columbus Blue Jackets want is to have their former captain terrorizing them for the next decade within the division.

When Red Wings GM Ken Holland met with local media last week, it came with warnings that the big addition fans hoped for this summer might not materialize immediately. In today's NHL, where teams are more likely to extend the contracts of their star players rather than trade them, it makes attracting elite talent in free agency all the more challenging.

It also makes talent development absolutely crucial.

"You have no choice in the new era of the NHL," said Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill when we chatted Monday morning. "We saw it this summer. We're all locking our guys up from four- to 10-year contracts. [There aren't] a lot of free agents on the market."

That combination makes this summer and the coming season the most important in recent memory for Red Wings prospects. The last time the organization lost key players toretirement, they replaced them with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. Chances are, that's not happening in the wake of Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement.

"It's more quantity," Nill said of Detroit's pool of prospects. "You have to have a wave of players coming in."
Posted Image To read more about five important prospects for the Detroit Red Wings, plsu to getaccess to all of Insider's NHL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Don't Toews me, bro!

#352 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

I Liked This, not gonna lie.

Esteef poodle doing flips. What joy!

#353 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hmmm, if the next move is to re-sign Abby and Q and that is it...then seriously, who gets called up to be the #7 defender? Do you think Sproul could make the jump with no GR experience? Plus, again, who is gone up front? Emmy, Mursak, Miller, Eaves would be the 4 extra forwards, two would have to go...

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#354 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

I wonder if Eaves is out of the picture already?

#355 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I wonder if Eaves is out of the picture already?

I have been wondering the same...seems there has been zero update on his health status.

www.thinkdunes.com

Dump Q and K Now!

#356 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

I have been wondering the same...seems there has been zero update on his health status.

Last I read, Holland said he'd be good to go for camp...

#357 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Apparently we're waiting on Shane Doan and won't do anything until that get figured out.

https://twitter.com/...289408411222016

Holland must believe we still have a shot at him even though the situation in Phoenix looks pretty good right now, so I don't see him leaving. Not to mention, the deals that have been getting thrown his way from other teams, there's no way we're competing with that.

#358 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Heading into the free agency frenzy I believed if we didn't land Suter our team would be doomed, but the more I think of it the more I like having our prospects play all year round. Throw them in the fire and see what they're really made of. At this point, anything we can pick up will be helpful but they're no core players floating around. 2 year deal max for Doan. I don't think Detroit looks like a very appealing destination, but Holland might as well throw the bank at him for 1 year. If he doesn't get him oh well. Atleast Holland is busy doing all that he can. Detroit has been a potential place for every big signing and every big trade so you can't fault Holland.

Adversity bring the best and worst out of players... Let's see what our prospects have in them

#359 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

With a move or two, I think this roster is realistic:

Benn-Datsyuk-Ryan
Doan-Zetterberg-Simmonds
Upshall-Helm-Pyatt
Neil-MacKenzie-Tootoo
McGrattan

Kronwall-Weber
Volchenkov-Sarich
Erskine-Vandermeer
B.Smith

What?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#360 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Looks like Weber is going to the Flyers so scratch that idea.