• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#121 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

What should hollands next push be nash, handle, ryan, doan, semin, any thoughts and or suggestions. Or should we save for next years free agent market.

We need to add at least one D-man if not two the question is who that should be Then we could add a guy like Semin I feel Babs can handle any problems that might come with him but he would add much needed scoring the real question who are the D-man that would help us out enough to sign for a couple of years
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#122 dustyrhoades9687

dustyrhoades9687

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Love the idea just add yandle and we have a great chance

#123 YougotDatsyuked

YougotDatsyuked

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Sit tight and see what available at the deadline. :/

Edited by YougotDatsyuked, 05 July 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#124 dustyrhoades9687

dustyrhoades9687

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

I have a strong feeling about yandle and doan in Detroit I haven't had this strong a feeling about getting to the cup since we got hasek

#125 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would really like to see Doan, the man is a warrior.

#126 dustyrhoades9687

dustyrhoades9687

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

If wecan get them it'd be great and semin and enstrom would be the over the top the wings need

#127 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I heard that Howson actually asked for Jeff Skinner from Carolina, so I don't know what we would have to offer, except much more than we could afford to give up, Best option right now is to sign Semin, who I hear NJ is also going after.

Yandle, depending on what Phoenix asks for in return, could alleviate some of the pain of missing out on Suter.

Then there is Weber... If Suter is worth 98 million, I can't imagine what Weber will demand next season??

#128 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sit tight and see what available at the deadline. :/

We can't we have to many Forwards and not enough Defense men
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#129 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think it'd be a better choice to explore options for a top tier D man like Yandle(if they're even willing to trade him) If they are, I'm certain it would come at a cheaper price than Nash and IMO, Semin or Doan would put up similar numbers to Nash anyways...

#130 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

no reason to trade Franzine...I am sure this season will be more "fun" then last year so he will show up for at least 40 games this season. So if we sign Semin we can get a full season combined between the 2!!!

Okay I am now going to go sit in the driveway in the Atlanta heat and come up with more ideas......
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#131 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

why not go for some future top tier dmen rather than established ones? would cost less and we could get a couple maybe. I posted rundblad in another thread, maybe we get a few young dmen almost nhl ready and see how it goes. we went for schultz after all....

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#132 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Plan B is we try to trade for Keith Yandle. He's a good young defenseman, that comes at a great price and is locked up for awhile. He should be able to match Lidstrom's offensive numbers on our team. He needs to be a priority right now.

If we can't swing him, we go for Nash. Let's assume Columbus will trade with us and they want prospects and draft picks. I'm reading people not willing to give up Smith, Tatar, Jurco, etc. Obviously we wouldn't give them all up, but some will have to go in order to swing this deal. I feel like we didn't do enough these past couple years to give Lidstrom a good final run at the Cup. I would hate to see Datsyuk and Zetterberg play through these next few years waiting for these prospects to come up and get experience while Z and D get another year older and probably past their prime. If we can get Nash and not give up all of our prospects, let's do it, Z and D won't be around forever.

The defense is still suspect, but if we're not going to get "our guy" get other guys. Pick up Rosival, Hannan, Eaton, Kubina, etc. Sign them to short deals that are not worth a lot. Plug in some guys that can fill those gaps till the next Suter comes along and we can fill that position with a long term solution.

#133 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

How much do you guys think Semin is worth? I don't see them paying more than 7 mil tops per season and is he even worth that? I think his production would increase substantially here in Detroit especially playing with D and Z. But for that kind of money I would expect at least 30 or 35 goals out of him. 10+ PPG and 70+ pts.

#134 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,536 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Now is the time Ilitch needs to convince Dekeyser to NOT go back for his senior year...

Blah,Blah,Blah....Trade Pav...Blah, Blah...Trade Z...Yadda, Yadda, Blah...

#135 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

How much do you guys think Semin is worth? I don't see them paying more than 7 mil tops per season and is he even worth that? I think his production would increase substantially here in Detroit especially playing with D and Z. But for that kind of money I would expect at least 30 or 35 goals out of him. 10+ PPG and 70+ pts.

Signing Semin (and for 7M at that) is about the only way this off season could get worse.

Of course, if it's a one year deal, and we've got the cap space (as we will), such a mindblowing overpayment isn't as relevant.

Edited by Zetts, 05 July 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#136 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Signing Semin (and for 7M at that) is about the only way this off season could get worse.

Of course, if it's a one year deal, and we've got the cap space (as we will), such a mindblowing overpayment isn't as relevant.

Then what's he worth? If Hudler is going for 4/16 then it seems reasonable to offer Semin at around 3/18?? He's much better than Happy Hudler!

#137 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

posted this in another thread but this is probably more appropriate for here:
Look at it this way if you roll with what we have, and go into the regular season with all this free cap. Then we can have a very good idea on who can produce at this point (Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, etc...hell even some established players) and make trades accordingly. Our defense is not good but I don't think it will be the abortion on skates that most here do.

I say this b/c while Lids was imo the leading Norris candidate before injury, after he cameback he wasn't his normal self. Compound that with Stu who checked out very early and seemed basically one of our worst dman all year, and Quincey/White playing terrible= overall bad team d. Now with the inclusion of Smith (who will be better then either a terrible Quincey/Stu) and from watching Q in both Col/LA (he will be better), White may not improve much, he I don't think he will be as bad as late last year either, then to me the defense looks like a wash. It won't be near the top, nor near the bottom...

Our offense to me has already improved Tootoo will bring out more in either Helm or Abby. Sammy (though I dislike the signing) is an improvement over Hudler in physicality, plus he certainly is more willing to shoot! Brunner sounds like he will improve Helm (but I'm not totally counting on that). Nyquist in my opinion is going to blow peoples minds with a full season in the NHL. He looks a lot like Datsyuk so I have high expectations for him, last season in his time up he was at one point 7 for 7 points/games switching between 1st/4th line duties. The most recent comparison to me would be Matt Duchene in that he would get knocked off the puck super easy because of weight but pops back up instantly and is always making something happen. Tatar wasn't OMG amazing when brought up but compared to the baggage this team has dragged around the last 2 years, I believe he will be an improvement.

Our goaltending should improve hell we were using Conklin (I thought it was a good signing at the time, and I admit I as wrong as hell)

Wildcard statement: Give Sheehan some more time with the big club. The only NHL game he played in, it appeared he was great at maintaining control with people dragging on his back.

Overall my opinion is that we right now are about in the same boat as late last season. Right now we will make the playoffs, but get dropped in the 1st. Keep the cash until we see what we have and what's available, as long as we can just tread water while others start sinking then there is no point in throwing fist fulls of cash towards players just because it's what's popular (Suter/Parise) or trade away depth for (Ryan/Nash).
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#138 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Now is the time Ilitch needs to convince Dekeyser to NOT go back for his senior year...

So your lineup means the wings would trade Franzen or Filp for Yandle? I posted that the other day on an ESPN message board and was ripped apart. Sure it'd be tough to lose the Mule and Filp but it's worth it for a cornerstone D-man like Yandle. Especially if we replace them with Doan and Semin which is exactly what I said the other day. Looks like the smarter wings fans are on here.

#139 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

posted this in another thread but this is probably more appropriate for here:
Look at it this way if you roll with what we have, and go into the regular season with all this free cap. Then we can have a very good idea on who can produce at this point (Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, etc...hell even some established players) and make trades accordingly. Our defense is not good but I don't think it will be the abortion on skates that most here do.

I say this b/c while Lids was imo the leading Norris candidate before injury, after he cameback he wasn't his normal self. Compound that with Stu who checked out very early and seemed basically one of our worst dman all year, and Quincey/White playing terrible= overall bad team d. Now with the inclusion of Smith (who will be better then either a terrible Quincey/Stu) and from watching Q in both Col/LA (he will be better), White may not improve much, he I don't think he will be as bad as late last year either, then to me the defense looks like a wash. It won't be near the top, nor near the bottom...

Our offense to me has already improved Tootoo will bring out more in either Helm or Abby. Sammy (though I dislike the signing) is an improvement over Hudler in physicality, plus he certainly is more willing to shoot! Brunner sounds like he will improve Helm (but I'm not totally counting on that). Nyquist in my opinion is going to blow peoples minds with a full season in the NHL. He looks a lot like Datsyuk so I have high expectations for him, last season in his time up he was at one point 7 for 7 points/games switching between 1st/4th line duties. The most recent comparison to me would be Matt Duchene in that he would get knocked off the puck super easy because of weight but pops back up instantly and is always making something happen. Tatar wasn't OMG amazing when brought up but compared to the baggage this team has dragged around the last 2 years, I believe he will be an improvement.

Our goaltending should improve hell we were using Conklin (I thought it was a good signing at the time, and I admit I as wrong as hell)

Wildcard statement: Give Sheehan some more time with the big club. The only NHL game he played in, it appeared he was great at maintaining control with people dragging on his back.

Overall my opinion is that we right now are about in the same boat as late last season. Right now we will make the playoffs, but get dropped in the 1st. Keep the cash until we see what we have and what's available, as long as we can just tread water while others start sinking then there is no point in throwing fist fulls of cash towards players just because it's what's popular (Suter/Parise) or trade away depth for (Ryan/Nash).

I think wings have to do something and if they don't then they would seriously jeopardize missing the playoffs for the first time since Pretty Woman was in theaters. They would need a ton more out of Helm and Ericsson and Jimmy Howard could face 40 shots a game resulting in a 3.02 gaa and 4th in the central lol. I get what you're saying and yeah they could see what the young guns have to offer but imo, it'd be disaster. Holland hasn't drafted well in recent years.

#140 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Flippula+Cleary+Bertuzzi+Emmerton for Yandle.....The only young guy I would trade is Mursak and Emmerton. Is there any point in throwing in Cleary and Bertuzzi on a Yandle trade? Would they accept our dead weight thrown on at the end of the deal? There is no room for these guys if we want to have a youth movement. We can have all 4 lines be responsible with skill all while having our prospects playing full time.