• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Has the Detroit diamond lost it's shine?

Rate this topic

As has always been true with the Red Wings, the support for this team is a mile wide and an inch thick, now that the decline has begun, the bandwagon is is getting a whole lot lighter.

This coming from the guy who is down on the Red Wings 90% of the season? Pot meet kettle.

Jesus f'ing christ that better not be referring to me.. For f's sake I've got the logo, Al the Octo and the Cup tattooed on my left calf - I bleed red and white.. My love for the Wings is NEVER in doubt.. However, I am allowed to pose questions and discuss the future as a fan, am I not?

As has always been true with the Red Wings, the support for this team is a mile wide and an inch thick, now that the decline has begun, the bandwagon is is getting a whole lot lighter.

*cough* Iginla *cough*

Why only give the GM the choice of the last 4 Cup champs? Why not that fifth one?

I reiterate my point in starting this thread - the diamond has lost its shine.

The diamond could've lost it's shine but it's not the only influential factor there. We just aren't seen as a contender right now because we're in the middle of a transition year. I don't know how anyone could've looked at that team on paper, and said, "Hey, Wings are winning the cup this year." Hell, most people said we won't make the playoffs. Haters gonna hate.

I agree, I think it's a combination of factors.

On paper, Detroit doesn't look like a shoe-in.

Perennial contender, but seemingly lacking the team to go deep into the playoffs.

Tend to sign most players for less than market value.

The cutoff, to me, says a lot. It he had gone to the last 6 Cup teams, that would have included Anaheim. They're second in the west right now, third overall.

I think it was definitely an exclusionary move to take the Wings out of the running.

Truth be told, we'll never know - this is all speculation and that what makes it so fun and so frustrating at the same time!

The diamond could've lost it's shine but it's not the only influential factor there. We just aren't seen as a contender right now because we're in the middle of a transition year. I don't know how anyone could've looked at that team on paper, and said, "Hey, Wings are winning the cup this year." Hell, most people said we won't make the playoffs. Haters gonna hate.

Make it easier on yourself...

Make the list of players who DID CHOOSE Detroit. It's a much shorter list.

Will someone make a list of all the players who DID NOT CHOOSE Detroit as their destination from 2005-2011?

Potatoes gonna potate. Reiteraters gonna reiterate. ...or whatever.

I think Holland and co. are in danger of losing the luster if they don't go a little above and beyond what they're doing now. We've built a reputation, but were in danger of letting it slip. The Penguins, no matter how much I dislike them, have recognized that this is a very important year for them and they went out and did something about it. I feel that Kenny has been afraid to do that and he should of in Lidstrom's last couple years. Now the players recognize that were a middle of the road team, they aren't begging to come here. Thats gotta change.

Indeed it is.

However, Too many here argue that all Detroit had to do in the past was throw their logo on the table and players would faint at the possibility of playing for the Almighty Wings.

Sure we landed some incredible talent but so did a lot of other teams in over the years.

Blake, Pronger, Mogilny off the top of my head.

Guess my point was, there is no way we landed every stud we went after even back in the alleged high diamond luster days, but over the last year the mass hysteria over a few FA choosing elsewhere is ridiculous

Indeed it is.

However, Too many here argue that all Detroit had to do in the past was throw their logo on the table and players would faint at the possibility of playing for the Almighty Wings.

Sure we landed some incredible talent but so did a lot of other teams in over the years.

Blake, Pronger, Mogilny off the top of my head.

Guess my point was, there is no way we landed every stud we went after even back in the alleged high diamond luster days, but over the last year the mass hysteria over a few FA choosing elsewhere is ridiculous

I think the thing with Suter that gets lost is that, essentially if not for his "hometown team", he would almost certainly be a Red Wing. Everything about this team and its future looks different if Suter would have signed here.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

i don't see why many players would want to come to detroit. a terrible city with an average, declining hockey team.

there are much nicer places to play, with much better teams to be on.

it sucks for wings fans, but that's the reality of it.

i don't see why many players would want to come to detroit. a terrible city with an average, declining hockey team.

This. If I was Suter, I would almost certainly chose Minnesota if that were my hometown. That said, if you lived outside of Southeast Michigan, Michigan is a great state for a lot of reasons. A lot of what makes Michigan great thoufh could be found in Minnesota too.

So Iggy chose the Pens and Suter and Parise chose the Wild cuz their great cities and amazing economies?

So Iggy chose the Pens and Suter and Parise chose the Wild cuz their great cities and amazing economies?

I don't think he was even insinuating that. Plus, Manny is Suter's "hometown" or close to it, so I think played a huge factor. I really think Iginla is just tired of losing and wants to win now, for real.

the pens are a good enough team now (and likely in the future) that the city of pittsburgh isn't a main factor. the wild are on the rise and happened to be close to suter's hometown.

players likely value the team's location, the team's chance for success in the immediate and/or near future, and the $ being offered.

the detroit red wings can offer none of those things, currently.

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey

Agreed.....Main factors in any deal :

Hometown (location)

Money

Chance for success in very very near future

The City of Detroit can hold its own unless you're looking for sandy beaches and warm weather year round:)

The City of Detroit can hold its own unless you're looking for sandy beaches and warm weather year round:)

not really. it's an awful city, unfortunately.

Oh I think the fans at Xcel Energy Center have a bit of a different take on that. GO WINGS.

not really. it's an awful city, unfortunately.

The actual City (inside the city limits) is pretty bad. The 'burbs are fine. They ought to let Windsor annex the actual city and clean that s*** up.

Back on topic, I think the new arena will help the "shine" for the Wings again.

Miami Chicago Dallas La are all s*** holes too....Im guessing players would live in Novi/Nville and hang out at the 'good' parts of D and Golf the country clubs and not the publics when they had off days.

3 of those 4 cities have a lot better weather.

and the city of chicago destroys detroit. not even close. it has its bad parts - as opposed to detroit which is entirely a bad part. chicago also has the best team in the league, and they're young. so the weather blows...but you have the other upsides.

sure, there are nice suburbs in metro detroit...but that's the case for every city with an NHL team.

these are things players might consider when they have no connection to a city or team already.

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey

To be fair, having been to both places they are nicer cities with better economies. But in saying that, I don't believe playing for the Red Wings has "lost it's shine". The city really doesn't have much to do with it. Detroit was worse through the 1990's and early 2000's than it is now and we didn't seem to have a problem attracting talent then. Probably the reason people don't want to come here as much as SOME other teams is because they either A) aren't from here, or B) have decided there are better places to pursue a cup given our team's track record since 2009.

Because we all know that all of the players on the team live right off of 10 in the middle of Detroit.....declining? I wouldn't go that far... transitioning and retooling sure. You and 50-Cent make it sound like before too long we will be the next bluejackets.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan