Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Has the Detroit diamond lost it's shine?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#101 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

As has always been true with the Red Wings, the support for this team is a mile wide and an inch thick, now that the decline has begun, the bandwagon is is getting a whole lot lighter.

Says the Wild fan in disguise.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#102 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

As has always been true with the Red Wings, the support for this team is a mile wide and an inch thick, now that the decline has begun, the bandwagon is is getting a whole lot lighter.

This coming from the guy who is down on the Red Wings 90% of the season? Pot meet kettle.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#103 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

You guys do realize that that centcougar guy just signs up to various hockey forums for no other reason than to troll their fans, right? You shouldn't even give him the time of day.

#104 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Jesus f'ing christ that better not be referring to me.. For f's sake I've got the logo, Al the Octo and the Cup tattooed on my left calf - I bleed red and white.. My love for the Wings is NEVER in doubt.. However, I am allowed to pose questions and discuss the future as a fan, am I not?

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#105 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Not so much.Posted Image

#106 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

*cough* Iginla *cough*

Why only give the GM the choice of the last 4 Cup champs? Why not that fifth one? 

I reiterate my point in starting this thread - the diamond has lost its shine.

#107 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

*cough* Iginla *cough*

Why only give the GM the choice of the last 4 Cup champs? Why not that fifth one? 

I reiterate my point in starting this thread - the diamond has lost its shine.

The diamond could've lost it's shine but it's not the only influential factor there. We just aren't seen as a contender right now because we're in the middle of a transition year. I don't know how anyone could've looked at that team on paper, and said, "Hey, Wings are winning the cup this year." Hell, most people said we won't make the playoffs. Haters gonna hate.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#108 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Will someone make a list of all the players who DID NOT CHOOSE Detroit as their destination from 2005-2011?

#109 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I agree, I think it's a combination of factors. 

On paper, Detroit doesn't look like a shoe-in. 

Perennial contender, but seemingly lacking the team to go deep into the playoffs. 

Tend to sign most players for less than market value. 

The cutoff, to me, says a lot. It he had gone to the last 6 Cup teams, that would have included Anaheim. They're second in the west right now, third overall. 

I think it was definitely an exclusionary move to take the Wings out of the running. 

Truth be told, we'll never know - this is all speculation and that what makes it so fun and so frustrating at the same time!

The diamond could've lost it's shine but it's not the only influential factor there. We just aren't seen as a contender right now because we're in the middle of a transition year. I don't know how anyone could've looked at that team on paper, and said, "Hey, Wings are winning the cup this year." Hell, most people said we won't make the playoffs. Haters gonna hate.

Make it easier on yourself...

Make the list of players who DID CHOOSE Detroit. It's a much shorter list.

Will someone make a list of all the players who DID NOT CHOOSE Detroit as their destination from 2005-2011?

#110 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Potatoes gonna potate. Reiteraters gonna reiterate. ...or whatever.

I think Holland and co. are in danger of losing the luster if they don't go a little above and beyond what they're doing now. We've built a reputation, but were in danger of letting it slip. The Penguins, no matter how much I dislike them, have recognized that this is a very important year for them and they went out and did something about it. I feel that Kenny has been afraid to do that and he should of in Lidstrom's last couple years. Now the players recognize that were a middle of the road team, they aren't begging to come here. Thats gotta change.

#111 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Indeed it is.

However, Too many here argue that all Detroit had to do in the past was throw their logo on the table and players would faint at the possibility of playing for the Almighty Wings.

Sure we landed some incredible talent but so did a lot of other teams in over the years.
Blake, Pronger, Mogilny off the top of my head.

Guess my point was, there is no way we landed every stud we went after even back in the alleged high diamond luster days, but over the last year the mass hysteria over a few FA choosing elsewhere is ridiculous

#112 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

Indeed it is.

However, Too many here argue that all Detroit had to do in the past was throw their logo on the table and players would faint at the possibility of playing for the Almighty Wings.

Sure we landed some incredible talent but so did a lot of other teams in over the years.
Blake, Pronger, Mogilny off the top of my head.

Guess my point was, there is no way we landed every stud we went after even back in the alleged high diamond luster days, but over the last year the mass hysteria over a few FA choosing elsewhere is ridiculous

I think the thing with Suter that gets lost is that, essentially if not for his "hometown team", he would almost certainly be a Red Wing. Everything about this team and its future looks different if Suter would have signed here.

#113 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

i don't see why many players would want to come to detroit.  a terrible city with an average, declining hockey team.

there are much nicer places to play, with much better teams to be on.

it sucks for wings fans, but that's the reality of it.

#114 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

i don't see why many players would want to come to detroit.  a terrible city with an average, declining hockey team.

This. If I was Suter, I would almost certainly chose Minnesota if that were my hometown. That said, if you lived outside of Southeast Michigan, Michigan is a great state for a lot of reasons. A lot of what makes Michigan great thoufh could be found in Minnesota too.

#115 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

So Iggy chose the Pens and Suter and Parise chose the Wild cuz their great cities and amazing economies?

#116 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

So Iggy chose the Pens and Suter and Parise chose the Wild cuz their great cities and amazing economies?

I don't think he was even insinuating that. Plus, Manny is Suter's "hometown" or close to it, so I think played a huge factor. I really think Iginla is just tired of losing and wants to win now, for real.

#117 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

the pens are a good enough team now (and likely in the future) that the city of pittsburgh isn't a main factor. the wild are on the rise and happened to be close to suter's hometown.

players likely value the team's location, the team's chance for success in the immediate and/or near future, and the $ being offered.

the detroit red wings can offer none of those things, currently.

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey, 28 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#118 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Agreed.....Main factors in any deal :
Hometown (location)
Money
Chance for success in very very near future

The City of Detroit can hold its own unless you're looking for sandy beaches and warm weather year round:)

#119 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

The City of Detroit can hold its own unless you're looking for sandy beaches and warm weather year round:)

not really.  it's an awful city, unfortunately.

#120 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Miami Chicago Dallas La are all s*** holes too....Im guessing players would live in Novi/Nville and hang out at the 'good' parts of D and Golf the country clubs and not the publics when they had off days.