Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Has the Detroit diamond lost it's shine?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#121 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

As has always been true with the Red Wings, the support for this team is a mile wide and an inch thick, now that the decline has begun, the bandwagon is is getting a whole lot lighter.

Oh I think the fans at Xcel Energy Center have a bit of a different take on that. GO WINGS.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#122 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

not really.  it's an awful city, unfortunately.

The actual City (inside the city limits) is pretty bad. The 'burbs are fine. They ought to let Windsor annex the actual city and clean that s*** up. 

Back on topic, I think the new arena will help the "shine" for the Wings again. 

#123 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Miami Chicago Dallas La are all s*** holes too....Im guessing players would live in Novi/Nville and hang out at the 'good' parts of D and Golf the country clubs and not the publics when they had off days.

3 of those 4 cities have a lot better weather.

and the city of chicago destroys detroit.  not even close.  it has its bad parts - as opposed to detroit which is entirely a bad part.  chicago also has the best team in the league, and they're young.  so the weather blows...but you have the other upsides.

sure, there are nice suburbs in metro detroit...but that's the case for every city with an NHL team.

these are things players might consider when they have no connection to a city or team already.

Edited by fat guy in a maltby jersey, 28 March 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#124 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

So Iggy chose the Pens and Suter and Parise chose the Wild cuz their great cities and amazing economies?

To be fair, having been to both places they are nicer cities with better economies.  But in saying that, I don't believe playing for the Red Wings has "lost it's shine".  The city really doesn't have much to do with it.  Detroit was worse through the 1990's and early 2000's than it is now and we didn't seem to have a problem attracting talent then.  Probably the reason people don't want to come here as much as SOME other teams is because they either A) aren't from here, or B) have decided there are better places to pursue a cup given our team's track record since 2009. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#125 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

i don't see why many players would want to come to detroit.  a terrible city with an average, declining hockey team.

there are much nicer places to play, with much better teams to be on.

it sucks for wings fans, but that's the reality of it.

Because we all know that all of the players on the team live right off of 10 in the middle of Detroit.....declining? I wouldn't go that far... transitioning and retooling sure. You and 50-Cent make it sound like before too long we will be the next bluejackets.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 28 March 2013 - 01:46 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#126 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

"declining" isn't even up for discussion - it's a simple fact.

look at their regular season and playoff finishes over the last 4-5 years.  add in this year where a playoff position will likely come down to the wire.

i don't even want to think about what happens if datysuk does indeed choose to leave for russia after next season.

#127 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Im in Fl now and when people hear me talk of missing Detroit or why wouldn't a player choose Detroit they are fascinated.

I don't miss potholes and women only shaving their legs in the summer but Detroit and Michigan have plenty of flavour to lure FA's...if they have the right chaperone.

Thats why a Danny Deykeyser could be such a transcendent pick....Wings need some Ambassadors for the city to show off its luster and hometown dudes can be very valuable for more than just on ice talents.

Hell, most people here still think D is murder capital of the World and Eminem is still Slim ShAdy.

Bring back Boblo and the FA'a will come!

#128 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

dekeyser already loves michigan and he's spent his enitre life there.  no one needs to sell it to him.  it's just a matter of whether any other teams were able to sell him something else.

#129 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

dekeyser already loves michigan and he's spent his enitre life there.  no one needs to sell it to him.  it's just a matter of whether any other teams were able to sell him something else.

I was thinking Danny D could be one of those Ambassadors

#130 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

One average, not losing - but not always winning, season and this is what becomes of Wing's fans.  Nice  :glare:

I don't understand how "the diamond has lost it's shine" other than the leverage that was playing with Nick Lidstrom is now gone.

Lets take a look at some of the factors here:

We'll start with the offseason that no one will shut up about

• Parise wanted to play in his home state, the only other team he would have signed with was NJ, as he said.
  • Suter had Detroit in the top two on his list of places to sign, but we lost out to a HUGE contract and the fact that he could play in his wife's home state and with his friend Parise.
  • Shultz said from the beginning he wanted to play in Canada....for those of you who don't know Detroit is in the US.

These are the three names (and maybe Semin) that ignited this whole "Detroit is not a desirable team anymore" crap.  So, with this logic, had Holland signed one/two of these people would Detroit still be a fading star?  If the Wings don't sign at least one big FA every offseason, they're over the hill and nobody wants to play there?  Ok. :rolleyes: 

It's funny nobody addresses the fact that Brunner decided to sign with us because, you know, he didn't have to....

Now lets look at these current trades with Pittsburgh:

• First off let me say, Pitt is a desirable place to play solely because of Crosby.  Had they not won the lottery all those years ago the Pens would be signing a different tune.  To say Shero is better than Holland is a little harsh and sounds like sour grapes from NHL 13 players.  I mean, how hard is it to pick top 5 in the draft in 3 consecutive years, one of which you are literally given arguably the best hockey player of this era?  

• Morrow was a great pickup, the ideal rental player.  In my opinion, out of all of the players the Pens got, he is the only one I think the Wings should have pursued, considering the asking prices of these players.  So that's 1 point for Shero, I guess. 

• Murray is a solid depth defenseman, good pick up- but not what the Wings need.  Also I think two 2nd rounders was kind of steep, but thats just me.

• Now for Iginla:  He made a list of teams that had the best chance of winning a cup, I don't understand how Detroit not being on that list makes this an undesirable place to play.  The simple truth is Pens have a better chance at winning the cup than we do.  Maybe that's whats pissing people off so badly, it makes me mad, but it's true.  But the fact that the Pens have a better chance at winning the cup doesn't make me lose faith in this team or our GM.  The asking price for Iginla was too high, especially with the risk of him not resigning.

There are a lot of factors that play in to our relatively unsuccessful season so far (and I say relatively as compared to us normally being a top three team in the league).  First and foremost, our biggest hit was losing LIds.  He left a huge hole in our D and Kenny had to get what he could in the FA market to try to help fill it.  It is completely unfair for anyone to expect Holland to find a semi-LIdstrom in the same summer the man retired.  Then there was the lockout, and the subsequent loss of a preseason where our new players could have gotten used to the Wings system.  Several of our guys didn't play during the lockout and that showed, they needed several games to get back in to game shape.  And finally, now that we're kind of getting things rolling and players are somewhat finding their groove, WE CAN'T STAY HEALTHY!  I think, considering all of those factors, especially the injuries, we are doing quite well for ourselves.  It could be a lot worse.  

I honestly did not realize until this season how many fair-weather fans the Wings have, and this makes me sad.  I am sorry that we are not going to win the Presidents trophy this year, and we're likely not going to win the cup.  Unfortunately reality dictates that you cant win everything every year :unhappy: .  The pens are looking pretty good now, and I am sure they could always use a few more bandwagon fans so...theres the door.  Myself, I will stay a loser Wings fan :paperbag3:

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#131 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

One average, not losing - but not always winning, season and this is what becomes of Wing's fans.  Nice  :glare:

I don't understand how "the diamond has lost it's shine" other than the leverage that was playing with Nick Lidstrom is now gone.

Lets take a look at some of the factors here:

We'll start with the offseason that no one will shut up about

• Parise wanted to play in his home state, the only other team he would have signed with was NJ, as he said.
  • Suter had Detroit in the top two on his list of places to sign, but we lost out to a HUGE contract and the fact that he could play in his wife's home state and with his friend Parise.
  • Shultz said from the beginning he wanted to play in Canada....for those of you who don't know Detroit is in the US.

These are the three names (and maybe Semin) that ignited this whole "Detroit is not a desirable team anymore" crap.  So, with this logic, had Holland signed one/two of these people would Detroit still be a fading star?  If the Wings don't sign at least one big FA every offseason, they're over the hill and nobody wants to play there?  Ok. :rolleyes:

It's funny nobody addresses the fact that Brunner decided to sign with us because, you know, he didn't have to....

Now lets look at these current trades with Pittsburgh:

• First off let me say, Pitt is a desirable place to play solely because of Crosby.  Had they not won the lottery all those years ago the Pens would be signing a different tune.  To say Shero is better than Holland is a little harsh and sounds like sour grapes from NHL 13 players.  I mean, how hard is it to pick top 5 in the draft in 3 consecutive years, one of which you are literally given arguably the best hockey player of this era?  

• Morrow was a great pickup, the ideal rental player.  In my opinion, out of all of the players the Pens got, he is the only one I think the Wings should have pursued, considering the asking prices of these players.  So that's 1 point for Shero, I guess. 

• Murray is a solid depth defenseman, good pick up- but not what the Wings need.  Also I think two 2nd rounders was kind of steep, but thats just me.

• Now for Iginla:  He made a list of teams that had the best chance of winning a cup, I don't understand how Detroit not being on that list makes this an undesirable place to play.  The simple truth is Pens have a better chance at winning the cup than we do.  Maybe that's whats pissing people off so badly, it makes me mad, but it's true.  But the fact that the Pens have a better chance at winning the cup doesn't make me lose faith in this team or our GM.  The asking price for Iginla was too high, especially with the risk of him not resigning.

There are a lot of factors that play in to our relatively unsuccessful season so far (and I say relatively as compared to us normally being a top three team in the league).  First and foremost, our biggest hit was losing LIds.  He left a huge hole in our D and Kenny had to get what he could in the FA market to try to help fill it.  It is completely unfair for anyone to expect Holland to find a semi-LIdstrom in the same summer the man retired.  Then there was the lockout, and the subsequent loss of a preseason where our new players could have gotten used to the Wings system.  Several of our guys didn't play during the lockout and that showed, they needed several games to get back in to game shape.  And finally, now that we're kind of getting things rolling and players are somewhat finding their groove, WE CAN'T STAY HEALTHY!  I think, considering all of those factors, especially the injuries, we are doing quite well for ourselves.  It could be a lot worse.  

I honestly did not realize until this season how many fair-weather fans the Wings have, and this makes me sad.  I am sorry that we are not going to win the Presidents trophy this year, and we're likely not going to win the cup.  Unfortunately reality dictates that you cant win everything every year :unhappy: .  The pens are looking pretty good now, and I am sure they could always use a few more bandwagon fans so...theres the door.  Myself, I will stay a loser Wings fan :paperbag3:

2 prospects and a 1st is too much to ask for a future HoFer who has scored more than any of our wingers with less games played and would be second on our team for hits this year as well as being the toughest player on our team???
Also a classy individual who plays his heart out  and is on a quest for his 1st Cup

Edited by Johnz96, 28 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#132 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

2 prospects and a 1st is too much to ask for a future HoFer who has scored more than any of our wingers with less games played and would be second on our team for hits this year as well as being the toughest player on our team???
Also a classy individual who plays his heart out  and is on a quest for his 1st Cup

Too much for a rental, yes.  I never said anything negatively towards Iginla like others have.  I think he still has a lot to offer for whatever team he plays for.  But the cost for one player to maybe  win the cup and maybe resign with us?  Yeah, price is a little steep.  Especially considering our chances of winning the cup this season are less than the team he actually put on his list, besides LA.

Honestly, if the Pens win the cup, the fact that Jerome finally got his name on it will be the silver lining for me

Edited by Wingsfan72, 28 March 2013 - 02:45 PM.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#133 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

*cough* Iginla *cough*

Why only give the GM the choice of the last 4 Cup champs? Why not that fifth one? 

I reiterate my point in starting this thread - the diamond has lost its shine.

Your point is ridiculous. I can give you a very solid, very easy, and undoubtedly correct reason that does not match with yours: he wants to win a Cup now, and he chose the teams---and, finally, the single team---with which he feels he has the best chance of doing winning that Cup now. The Red Wings are currently very much in the hunt, but they are not currently tearing up the standings.

Your decision to make an "I am right" post was utterly misplaced.

#134 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

not really.  it's an awful city, unfortunately.

Ah, none of the players live in Detroit....

#135 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Detroit is definately not the destination it was 5 years ago.  Parody, a smaller collection of high end tallent & not value on the back end.  The players & their agents no longer seek out Kenny Holand.  That's why nothing has happened.

#136 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Detroit hasn't lost anything. For the 100th time, I think it's obvious Holland is building the team through the draft, and the days of Free Agents and blockbuster trades ended in 2005 when the Salary Cap was introduced. The market for UFA's and trades are way over priced.

Seriously people can't see what Holland is doing with the team and don't understand how the cap works? Geeze, it's been 8 years!

Edit: Also keep in mind the cap is going down next year.

Edited by Barrie, 28 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#137 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Kenny finishes every deadline with money he could've spent to better the team.  He then lip services the media that "OMFG everything costs too much!"

Rinse repeat.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#138 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

we like our team

My wish: A healthy roster

#139 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Every single time a player goes to another team this happens. The wings haven't lost its shine. Good lord a Stanley cup almost every 5 years is insane... Lost it's shine pssssshhhhhhh

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#140 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

For this team and our actual chances to win a cup this year... Absolutely too much. 

Why are we going to give up pieces of our future for a guy who in all likelihood is a pure rental? 

I'd rather we concentrate on developing our good prospects for our team rather than giving them away to a team that has no luck with drafting and would misuse the talent anyway.

...and for those that say, "Well, the Pens didn't even give them their best prospects for Iginla anyway... so why did Holland do NOTHING?!?"  Remember, Iginla had final say on the trade.  Teams made their pitches.  Feaster tried/wanted to take the Boston offer. 

Igninla was the one that said, "Naw. I'd rather go to Pittsburgh"

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.