• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Errol Fonger

Optimism, chill people. we have options

Rate this topic

Alright people,

If we re-sign Abdelkader that gives us 16 forwards under contract. If we sign Semin ( what do we have to lose ) that gives us 17 forwards under contract..... last time I checked we only dress 12. and we have o wait... almost 17 million dollars in cap space. I firmly believe Parise and Suter both got overpaid today and I'm glad Kenny was wiser than that. Kenny has put a team on the ice that has been the most consistent high performing team in professional sports history over the last 20 years. I think he's knows what's up. I feel our forward situation at this moment has actually improved from last year.

We can trade some of our forwards for a D man, sign Semin and still have tons of cap space. We don't need that many forwards and I can guarantee you we won't start the season with that many.

There's other variables too ( in my opinion )

- Fil just keeps getting better and getting more confident. He's arrived as one of the better two way players in the league and he's still young. and Nick feels he's a leader.

- Brendan Smith's numbers through his very few games last year were spectacular... if you do the math through 82 games we woulda been the 2nd highest plus minus behind White on Defense

- Ericsson can have more ice time and run with that ball.

- for the price, maybe Brunner will be a surprise... but regardless we haven't lost anything. it's not high risk.

- I'm stoked to watch Nyquist develop.

We will be able to trade for a D-man, watch some of our guys take larger roles and be a tougher, bigger, stronger team.

We got this.

How's that for a first post after years of just reading? For the record, I'm a shareholder of the Moose Jaw Warriors in the WHL... Brian Burke took a stud in Morgan Rielly. getting him at 5th was beyond a steal.

1. Kenny wasn't wise by not signing them. They chose to go to the Wild. Kenny would have paid those contracts too.

2. The Wings had Lidstrom over the last 20 years, and Ken Holland took over after they already had rebuilt the train wreck that was the 1980s.

3. Our situation has improved from last year how? Last year we signed Ian White and had Lidstrom and Stuart still. 'Splain yourself.

4. Flip hasn't done anything of note. He can be traded to teams that think he is a somebody though, I'll give you that.

5. 100% correct on Brunner. He could be a difference maker or the next Fabian Brunnstrom. We'll see.

6. Smith is unproven. He will get his chance this season. +/- is a useless stat for players not getting ample minutes.

7. Ericsson will definitely get more ice time. He is our #3 defenseman and better pay for himself or he could be gone as well (although there aren't that many GMs who would take that ridiculous contract, except maybe the Wild).

8. F*ck the Leafs.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

In 10 years, the Wings brass will be glad they didn't sign Suter and Parise

So let's see, the Wild have been in existence for 11 years & have made the playoffs all of 3 times. I'm throwing it out there right now, even with adding Suter & Parise to the mix, they'll see less playoff appearances in the next 10 years than the Wings.

The Wings front office is still pretty much the best damn one in the business regardless of what happened today. Kenny pretty much said it himself that they, and every other team making offers really, were not in a position to complete for those two based on them already making up their minds that they wanted to go "home" to play. Reading some of the coverage from down in Nashville, I find it revealing that David Poile all but flat out called Suter a liar in his comments, mentioning that Suter had told him that he would circle back to the Preds to let them counter offer before all was said & done. Personally, I think that the dog & pony show that played out over the last few days was all about Suter & Parise already being 99% sure they were signing with Minny unless someone came in WELL over the top with an offer, like max money i.e. $14m a year, and while it stings not getting either one today, I think in the long run I'll be glad the Wings didn't bite.

The forward situation had nowhere to go but up. We made no moves last season and had a mediocre offensive to defensive ratio.

Hudler leaving (and BTW I am glad he's gone, too small and too slow) and the return of Sammy with the addition of Tootoo isn't blowing up my skirt. I don't see much of an improvement in offense, just in a more well rounded forward unit (more shots and more hitting than last season). But the main issue with forwards is SCORING and that has not been addressed or improved at all.

In 10 years, the Wings brass will be glad they didn't sign Suter and Parise

Especially when Brunner, Nyquist, Smith and Jarnkrok make names for themselves. And our prospects are pretty damn good and this years draft that was supposed to be weak, we all seemed to like what the Wings brass found.

They use this season to let some of the young dmen play in the higher level situations and see who's got the chops. And then sign Weber next july 1st.

anyone who's mad a holland for not already having lidstroms replacement is a fool, wings have always tried to trade for whichever big defencemen where avialable. The wings just didnt have the devin setogouchi types laying around.

Alright people,

If we re-sign Abdelkader that gives us 16 forwards under contract. If we sign Semin ( what do we have to lose ) that gives us 17 forwards under contract..... last time I checked we only dress 12. and we have o wait... almost 17 million dollars in cap space. I firmly believe Parise and Suter both got overpaid today and I'm glad Kenny was wiser than that. Kenny has put a team on the ice that has been the most consistent high performing team in professional sports history over the last 20 years. I think he's knows what's up. I feel our forward situation at this moment has actually improved from last year.

We can trade some of our forwards for a D man, sign Semin and still have tons of cap space. We don't need that many forwards and I can guarantee you we won't start the season with that many.

There's other variables too ( in my opinion )

- Fil just keeps getting better and getting more confident. He's arrived as one of the better two way players in the league and he's still young. and Nick feels he's a leader.

- Brendan Smith's numbers through his very few games last year were spectacular... if you do the math through 82 games we woulda been the 2nd highest plus minus behind White on Defense

- Ericsson can have more ice time and run with that ball.

- for the price, maybe Brunner will be a surprise... but regardless we haven't lost anything. it's not high risk.

- I'm stoked to watch Nyquist develop.

We will be able to trade for a D-man, watch some of our guys take larger roles and be a tougher, bigger, stronger team.

We got this.

How's that for a first post after years of just reading? For the record, I'm a shareholder of the Moose Jaw Warriors in the WHL... Brian Burke took a stud in Morgan Rielly. getting him at 5th was beyond a steal.

Good post. I'm sick of all the bulls*** speculation from everyone so this topic/post is refreshing on here thank you. Going to be interesting to see what Kenny does now. Still IMO i dont want us signing older players we need to get younger...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Hey, I've got another piece of positive thinking that I'll throw out there to try to lighten the negativity around here. Minnesota is the second best place that these guys could have ended up. I mean the could have really helped us, but them with the wild hurts us the least, I think. Imagine The Pens, Flyers or Chicago if they gotten one or two of these guys. To me, the fact that they're now on a weak Wild team dulls the impact these guys could have had. Sure, the wild will be competitive now, but other teams would have been extremely tough competition by acquiring one of these guys.

I like the positive attitude, I'm looking forward to seeing what some of these young players are made of. Smith in particular makes me excited. We need to make a trade because of the forward situation. Hopefully Kenny has a go at Yandle, although the cost may be to much.

Hey, I've got another piece of positive thinking that I'll throw out there to try to lighten the negativity around here. Minnesota is the second best place that these guys could have ended up. I mean the could have really helped us, but them with the wild hurts us the least, I think. Imagine The Pens, Flyers or Chicago if they gotten one or two of these guys. To me, the fact that they're now on a weak Wild team dulls the impact these guys could have had. Sure, the wild will be competitive now, but other teams would have been extremely tough competition by acquiring one of these guys.

Agreed!

I like the positive attitude, I'm looking forward to seeing what some of these young players are made of. Smith in particular makes me excited. We need to make a trade because of the forward situation. Hopefully Kenny has a go at Yandle, although the cost may be to much.

That Yandle contract is beautiful though. Kronwall would feed off this guy and would replenish his career. Last year IMO Kronwall massively underperformed, Yandle might be the spark he needed like Stuart was when he first came over. Do whatever it takes to get this guy

Guest The Axe

We are NOT getting Yandle. Thats a pipe dream if i ever saw one. We missed the boat on the parise/suter lottery. Now we are screwed. Simple.

We are NOT getting Yandle. Thats a pipe dream if i ever saw one. We missed the boat on the parise/suter lottery. Now we are screwed. Simple.

Hockey insider over here... You don't know anything about what we get and don't get so stop posting doom and gloom with no basis for anything you say

Guest Crymson

You sure are a positive fan. I'm sure the organization loves having you. If there's one thing any team needs, it's fans who will give up before a season begins!

Guest Hatethedrake!

I wouldn't count Kenny out yet. He had to have an alternative plan in case he missed out on Parise and Suter. He alluded to the fact it may take the rest of the summer. Teams are not going to just give away top players. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kenny does. I think any Yandle trade has to invlove Filppula going back the other way. I'm just not sure what else Kenny would have to add to make the Yotes make the deal.

The Red Wings DO NOT need fake fans like you. Go cheer for Minnesota.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Here is our team right now which includes re-signing Doug Janik...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Doug Janik ($0.513m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,046,212; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,153,788

Good post. I'm sick of all the bulls*** speculation from everyone so this topic/post is refreshing on here thank you. Going to be interesting to see what Kenny does now. Still IMO i dont want us signing older players we need to get younger...

I have to agree with this. The amount of diarrhea like posts coming from people here are really disgusting. The offseason isn't over. We haven't made our last move yet. Give the man some time to make things happen.

As of right now the only 1 outta that group that has the potential to make a name for himself is Smith.

Dumbest post ever....

Nyquist has no chance to make a name for himself after the way he played last season?

Brunner has no chance to make a name for himself after dominating in the swiss league?

I wouldn't count Kenny out yet. He had to have an alternative plan in case he missed out on Parise and Suter. He alluded to the fact it may take the rest of the summer. Teams are not going to just give away top players. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kenny does. I think any Yandle trade has to invlove Filppula going back the other way. I'm just not sure what else Kenny would have to add to make the Yotes make the deal.

The Red Wings DO NOT need fake fans like you. Go cheer for Minnesota.

I have changed my opinion on trading flip, it would have to be a trade that blows me away. When Pavel was hurt last year he was a point per game player, not saying that he could sustain that over a course of the year but he doesn't need a super star to produce. So I would just sit on the money roll with the young guys. Worse case scenario we get a better draft pick and the young players get experience.

Yes Axe needs to go away...

I have to agree with this. The amount of diarrhea like posts coming from people here are really disgusting. The offseason isn't over. We haven't made our last move yet. Give the man some time to make things happen.

Exactly. With Kenny stocking up on forwards, you have to think that he's gearing up for potential trades & from the reports I've seen Doan's agent has contacted Kenny on a number of occasions already to gauge interest if he were to leave Phoenix. Key point: Doan's agent is the one making the calls, not Kenny. I say that bodes well if Doan does pull the trigger. Let's also factor in that this presents a huge opportunity for our prospects & younger players to step up. Who knows what will happen if Nyquist gets a full season playing in the top 6 with Pavs or Hank, how Smith will develop getting top 4 minutes potentially, if the chance pushes Kindl or Ericsson to the next level, or if a Tatar or Sheahan will step up big time in camp & prove they should be full-timers. It's still a long way from April 2013 to write the Wings season off already.

DontPanic.jpg

Edited by ogreslayer

Were those seasons in the NHL?

Get a clue - anything outside of the NHL doesn't mean much...Take off the rose colored Red Wing glasses.

Part of "making a name for yourself" is to show what you have in the big show. Nyquist and Brunner don't have a name for themselves in the NHL, but they have an opportunity to do so next season. If they were already playing in the NHL on a regular basis and doing well, they would already have a name for themselves.

I suppose logic is hard when it comes from a fairweather fan such as yourself.....

Exactly. With Kenny stocking up on forwards, you have to think that he's gearing up for potential trades & from the reports I've seen Doan's agent has contacted Kenny on a number of occasions already to gauge interest if he were to leave Phoenix. Key point: Doan's agent is the one making the calls, not Kenny. I say that bodes well if Doan does pull the trigger.

Where did you hear is was Doan's camp that was contacting us?

Not sure I agree... We have 'young guys' like Kindl, Mursak and Emmerton who it's time to either fish or cut bait... We have some 'young guys' that are potentially solid NHLer's, or more, and need playing time... Smith, Nyquist and maybe Brunner... And we have other 'young guys' waiting for their turn: Tatar, Jarnkrok, Sheehan, Jurco, Pulkinnen and so on...

There are zero 'young guys' left in the FA market that are worth pushing aside any of the 'young guys' the Wings already have. Mueller... maybe, but he's injury-prone. Brule, maybe worth the risk, but at whose expense? The rest of the FA market are not 'young guys'... That's the whole point of Free Agency... you're not a 'young guy' anymore.

The only riskless choice at forward... Doan... is 35.... Maybe Arnott at 37... As for the risky options at forward: Semin is 28, Kostitsyn is 27, Huselias is 32 and so on. But will Semin take a 1 or 2-year contract? Probably not. I wouldn't if I were him. So are you willing to commit $30 million to Alex Semin for 5 years? I might, but it's not my money, and I don't get paid to make sure the wings are both competitive AND profitable over the long-run.

Everyone's been screaming, "give the 'young guys' a chance'... Well... next year we'll see what they've got. Should be exciting!

In my opinion, the options left in free agency are: (1) sign an 'old' D, or 2, for stability (and to give us a solid chance to make the playoffs)... Colaiacovo, Rozsimval, Kubina, Hannan, Jurcina... (2) try to convince Semin to take a 1-2 year contract (unlikely)... and if he decides to leave Phoenix, go after Shane Doan.

Frankly, the better option is the trade market, either this summer... or at the trade deadline. But if we do that, we'll lose one, or more, of our 'young guys' we all want to see play...

I'm all for trading Filppula if it's part of a package for an elite defenseman or winger. We already have two elite centers in Datsyuk and Zetterberg and only a part-time elite offensive talent in Franzen riding shotgun with Datsyuk. Filppula is regularly being shifted to the wing to get him on the top 2 lines and his time centering the third line is over.

I'd feel better dealing him for a scoring winger (Bobby Ryan or -- if on some far away planet a Nash trade is even feasible within the division -- Rick Nash) and then biding time to see if there's something that can be worked out with Semin (meaning: no long term, no prohibitively high cap figure, but high enough to dissuade him from signing with the KHL). That would help plant two elite-talent wingers on the top two lines.

I think Nyqvist will "replace" Filppula on this team. He won't be able to pick up the slack this season, but over the following year or so I would expect him to. Wings management has to be willing to take that chance and have faith in their prospects while also being daring enough to make the trade(s) that need to be made.

The defense.... well, the defense. I have no idea now that Suter's gone how to manage that. Time will tell. Easier to bolster the offense right now when comparing it to defensive options.