• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

http://www.detroitne...4#ixzz1zhRnGOSk

I don't know about us having "all summer now". Nash and Ryan's offers are going to heat up, and if Yandle is on the market, other teams aren't going to sit around.

If we're making a play for nash or yandle, we need to pick up our bags tomorrow and get working on a suitable trade offers for these guys, not play some waiting game.

#2 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Don't even want to read.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Holland can't say,
"WE NEED TO GET THE GOOD PLAYERS THAT ARE ON THE BLOCK RIGHT NOW IF WE DONT WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN"

That wouldn't go over too well in terms of getting a good deal, you can't bid against yourself.

#4 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

He must of been reading my rant in the chat...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#5 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Holland took my job!!!!!
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#6 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Say what you will about Holland's job the past couple years, but you can't fault him for what happened with Parise and Suter. He did just about everything he could to land Suter here.

Posted Image

#7 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Trade for Yandle....sign Doan, Sign Semin...sign Mueller...let's hope Phoenix doesn't ask for Smith...I have a feeling Nash or Ryan will be too expensive...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#8 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Say what you will about Holland's job the past couple years, but you can't fault him for what happened with Parise and Suter. He did just about everything he could to land Suter here.

Nope cant fault him for Suter and Parise (Detroit doesnt have farmland to drive a tractor around on), I can fault him for not having a good go to plan. He rode out Nicky till he left and now hes in a situation that could actually cost him his job.

When it gets down to brass tacks, he makes some type of huge trade to get our team to where it needs to be or hes out. If Im Illitch thats the only out I give you. Then its Jim Nills turns until we can pick up Stevie if that ever happens or ever turns into a good idea.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#9 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Don't even want to read.

Why? For one thing Kenny's really good at speaking!

bringit.jpg

#10 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Trade for Yandle....sign Doan, Sign Semin...sign Mueller...let's hope Phoenix doesn't ask for Smith...I have a feeling Nash or Ryan will be too expensive...

I hope a lot of forwards would be going back the other way towards Phoenix in such a scenario. If we were to also re-sign Abdelkader we would have 19 forwards.

#11 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I don't think there was anything Holland could have done differently and to be honest, I'm glad he offered what he felt those players were worth and not what the market said they should get. Sure, we don't get the big name free agents, but in the long run one of our keys to success is not overpaying for players. Z, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall and Howard are well below what they could be getting on the open market.

The "we've got all summer" comment was for people that act like the season starts tomorrow. We have the next three months to trade and/or sign UFAs. Just because we didn't get Parise and Suter doesn't mean the holes we need to fill won't be filled now. Instead of getting Parise, maybe we get Semin and Doan. Instead of Suter, we get Yandle and Scott Hannan.

#12 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Any speculation about this part?

Holland added: "Part of this might be that we might have to go with some kids that we think are ready."

My impression was that it was given that Nyquist and Smith would be on the roster...is he talking about somebody else?

#13 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Why? For one thing Kenny's really good at speaking!

I'm guessing it's a lot of "I like our offers"s and "I like where we stand"s, and maybe an "I like our team" or two for good measure.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#14 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Well, my job here is done, back to the golf course
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#15 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Holland took my job!!!!!

Dey tuk er jehb!

#16 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Nope cant fault him for Suter and Parise (Detroit doesnt have farmland to drive a tractor around on), I can fault him for not having a good go to plan. He rode out Nicky till he left and now hes in a situation that could actually cost him his job.

When it gets down to brass tacks, he makes some type of huge trade to get our team to where it needs to be or hes out. If Im Illitch thats the only out I give you. Then its Jim Nills turns until we can pick up Stevie if that ever happens or ever turns into a good idea.

How do you know he didn't pursue other options before trade deadline or even before that? Remember, Holland didn't have a lot of cap room (or trade bait) to appeal a good trade.

Who could he have went after? What could he give up that DRWs could afford to lose? How much cap space did he have to work with before last year?

It's not like he had a lot of options when DRWs were up against the cap before last year, and last year there was no good FA. At deadline there was no good Dman available.

At least try to be realistic.

#17 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yall ready for this?

Posted Image
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#18 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Forget Suter. Not worth $90M/13 yrs. Not invincible.

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

How do you know he didn't pursue other options before trade deadline or even before that? Remember, Holland didn't have a lot of cap room (or trade bait) to appeal a good trade.

Isn't that the idea, though? That he could've/should've anticipated the situation?

I'm not bagging on him, but...I don't see the issue with asking what's up with us being in this D hole. I think he's great at his job. Hell, he's amazing, straight up. So what gives?

What gives is, I think, he slipped up a bit.

Edited by Dabura, 04 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Nash/Ryan no matter how much I would love to have them = overpayment. I say Semin, maybe Doan and hope that our young D guys perform as hoped. Next season the FA market should be better and we can hopefully make a big splash then. It just feels to me like everybody left this year will handicap us financially for the next 5 years.

Yall ready for this?

Posted Image

Not bad form actually. Of course he's had a few years to perfect it.