• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsnake

Holland comments on Suter & Parise going to Wild

Rate this topic

http://www.detroitne...4#ixzz1zhRnGOSk

I don't know about us having "all summer now". Nash and Ryan's offers are going to heat up, and if Yandle is on the market, other teams aren't going to sit around.

If we're making a play for nash or yandle, we need to pick up our bags tomorrow and get working on a suitable trade offers for these guys, not play some waiting game.

Holland can't say,

"WE NEED TO GET THE GOOD PLAYERS THAT ARE ON THE BLOCK RIGHT NOW IF WE DONT WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN"

That wouldn't go over too well in terms of getting a good deal, you can't bid against yourself.

Say what you will about Holland's job the past couple years, but you can't fault him for what happened with Parise and Suter. He did just about everything he could to land Suter here.

Nope cant fault him for Suter and Parise (Detroit doesnt have farmland to drive a tractor around on), I can fault him for not having a good go to plan. He rode out Nicky till he left and now hes in a situation that could actually cost him his job.

When it gets down to brass tacks, he makes some type of huge trade to get our team to where it needs to be or hes out. If Im Illitch thats the only out I give you. Then its Jim Nills turns until we can pick up Stevie if that ever happens or ever turns into a good idea.

Trade for Yandle....sign Doan, Sign Semin...sign Mueller...let's hope Phoenix doesn't ask for Smith...I have a feeling Nash or Ryan will be too expensive...

I hope a lot of forwards would be going back the other way towards Phoenix in such a scenario. If we were to also re-sign Abdelkader we would have 19 forwards.

I don't think there was anything Holland could have done differently and to be honest, I'm glad he offered what he felt those players were worth and not what the market said they should get. Sure, we don't get the big name free agents, but in the long run one of our keys to success is not overpaying for players. Z, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall and Howard are well below what they could be getting on the open market.

The "we've got all summer" comment was for people that act like the season starts tomorrow. We have the next three months to trade and/or sign UFAs. Just because we didn't get Parise and Suter doesn't mean the holes we need to fill won't be filled now. Instead of getting Parise, maybe we get Semin and Doan. Instead of Suter, we get Yandle and Scott Hannan.

Any speculation about this part?

Holland added: "Part of this might be that we might have to go with some kids that we think are ready."

My impression was that it was given that Nyquist and Smith would be on the roster...is he talking about somebody else?

Guest Heaten

Nope cant fault him for Suter and Parise (Detroit doesnt have farmland to drive a tractor around on), I can fault him for not having a good go to plan. He rode out Nicky till he left and now hes in a situation that could actually cost him his job.

When it gets down to brass tacks, he makes some type of huge trade to get our team to where it needs to be or hes out. If Im Illitch thats the only out I give you. Then its Jim Nills turns until we can pick up Stevie if that ever happens or ever turns into a good idea.

How do you know he didn't pursue other options before trade deadline or even before that? Remember, Holland didn't have a lot of cap room (or trade bait) to appeal a good trade.

Who could he have went after? What could he give up that DRWs could afford to lose? How much cap space did he have to work with before last year?

It's not like he had a lot of options when DRWs were up against the cap before last year, and last year there was no good FA. At deadline there was no good Dman available.

At least try to be realistic.

How do you know he didn't pursue other options before trade deadline or even before that? Remember, Holland didn't have a lot of cap room (or trade bait) to appeal a good trade.

Isn't that the idea, though? That he could've/should've anticipated the situation?

I'm not bagging on him, but...I don't see the issue with asking what's up with us being in this D hole. I think he's great at his job. Hell, he's amazing, straight up. So what gives?

What gives is, I think, he slipped up a bit.

Edited by Dabura

Nash/Ryan no matter how much I would love to have them = overpayment. I say Semin, maybe Doan and hope that our young D guys perform as hoped. Next season the FA market should be better and we can hopefully make a big splash then. It just feels to me like everybody left this year will handicap us financially for the next 5 years.

Yall ready for this?

KenHolland-golf.jpg

Not bad form actually. Of course he's had a few years to perfect it.

...I have a feeling Nash or Ryan will be too expensive...

I'd agree. Nash or Ryan would be a dumb trade unless we could somehow do it without moving Flip or Franzen (or straight up for either). Too close to lateral to really help us, and takes away assets we might be able to use for a defenseman.

Holland did a good job on Suter and Parise. Hard to do more really. Offering more than what Minny did would be reckless. We were basically top 3 it seems on both players list, but Detroit isn't Minnesota and that's hard to compete with when they clearly wanted to go to Minny.

Who could he have went after? What could he give up that DRWs could afford to lose? How much cap space did he have to work with before last year?

It's not like he had a lot of options when DRWs were up against the cap before last year, and last year there was no good FA. At deadline there was no good Dman available.

At least try to be realistic.

His job is to DO not to TRY. You know you have a cush job when all you gotta do is "try" and its okay.

I dont think Illitch is a TRY type of owner. Holland earned his mulligans but I think hes getting close to or fresh out of them after the last few years of non results.

I am a business owner and if I was in a sector that was as fast moving and cut throat as hockey was, Holland would have one last chance at this point. Otherwise hes costing you money at the risk of no return.

I had to let go our shop foreman for this very reason, he got way to comfortable in his job and finally took advatange of our good graces one too many times. Holland is on borrowed time unless he makes a monster deal to shore up our team.

Isn't that the idea, though? That he could've/should've anticipated the situation?

I'm not bagging on him, but...I don't see the issue with asking what's up with us being in this D hole. I think he's great at his job. Hell, he's amazing, straight up. So what gives?

What gives is, I think, he slipped up a bit.

"Should have been more prepared", I think I'm going to get really sick of that phrase before this summer's over.

How many GMs anywhere have overseen even one seamless transition in team leadership, let alone two?

Sure, in hindsight, we should have just tanked the last three years so we'd have more young talent now. Bet you'd all have loved that. Realistically, we "should" have had to rebuild 8 years ago, but stupid Kenny had to go and try to win Cups. And he only got one, damn him.