• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

...I have a feeling Nash or Ryan will be too expensive...

I'd agree. Nash or Ryan would be a dumb trade unless we could somehow do it without moving Flip or Franzen (or straight up for either). Too close to lateral to really help us, and takes away assets we might be able to use for a defenseman.

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Holland did a good job on Suter and Parise. Hard to do more really. Offering more than what Minny did would be reckless. We were basically top 3 it seems on both players list, but Detroit isn't Minnesota and that's hard to compete with when they clearly wanted to go to Minny.

#23 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

How do you know he didn't pursue other options before trade deadline or even before that? Remember, Holland didn't have a lot of cap room (or trade bait) to appeal a good trade.

Who could he have went after? What could he give up that DRWs could afford to lose? How much cap space did he have to work with before last year?

It's not like he had a lot of options when DRWs were up against the cap before last year, and last year there was no good FA. At deadline there was no good Dman available.

At least try to be realistic.

His job is to DO not to TRY. You know you have a cush job when all you gotta do is "try" and its okay.

I dont think Illitch is a TRY type of owner. Holland earned his mulligans but I think hes getting close to or fresh out of them after the last few years of non results.

I am a business owner and if I was in a sector that was as fast moving and cut throat as hockey was, Holland would have one last chance at this point. Otherwise hes costing you money at the risk of no return.

I had to let go our shop foreman for this very reason, he got way to comfortable in his job and finally took advatange of our good graces one too many times. Holland is on borrowed time unless he makes a monster deal to shore up our team.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Isn't that the idea, though? That he could've/should've anticipated the situation?

I'm not bagging on him, but...I don't see the issue with asking what's up with us being in this D hole. I think he's great at his job. Hell, he's amazing, straight up. So what gives?

What gives is, I think, he slipped up a bit.

"Should have been more prepared", I think I'm going to get really sick of that phrase before this summer's over.

How many GMs anywhere have overseen even one seamless transition in team leadership, let alone two?

Sure, in hindsight, we should have just tanked the last three years so we'd have more young talent now. Bet you'd all have loved that. Realistically, we "should" have had to rebuild 8 years ago, but stupid Kenny had to go and try to win Cups. And he only got one, damn him.

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Every thread that has the names Parise and/or Suter in them should be locked, other than the original threads stating where they signed and the details of their contracts. Even after they've signed, about 470 new threads have been started about them.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Posted Image

#27 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Forget Suter. Not worth $90M/13 yrs. Not invincible.

That video gives me chills!!! Woulda been a lot of fun to be injury free last year and see what the boys could have done!

His job is to DO not to TRY. You know you have a cush job when all you gotta do is "try" and its okay.

I dont think Illitch is a TRY type of owner. Holland earned his mulligans but I think hes getting close to or fresh out of them after the last few years of non results.

I am a business owner and if I was in a sector that was as fast moving and cut throat as hockey was, Holland would have one last chance at this point. Otherwise hes costing you money at the risk of no return.

I had to let go our shop foreman for this very reason, he got way to comfortable in his job and finally took advatange of our good graces one too many times. Holland is on borrowed time unless he makes a monster deal to shore up our team.

Its not Hollands $$$ to spend...obviously mr i dropped the hammer on the money drawer...what the fock else can a gm do when the owner says thats as far as we go?

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Whatever happened to people wanting to play with original 6 teams?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Whatever happened to people wanting to play with original 6 teams?

Thing of the past my friend....

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I don't think there was anything Holland could have done differently and to be honest, I'm glad he offered what he felt those players were worth and not what the market said they should get. Sure, we don't get the big name free agents, but in the long run one of our keys to success is not overpaying for players. Z, Datsyuk, Franzen, Kronwall and Howard are well below what they could be getting on the open market.

The "we've got all summer" comment was for people that act like the season starts tomorrow. We have the next three months to trade and/or sign UFAs. Just because we didn't get Parise and Suter doesn't mean the holes we need to fill won't be filled now. Instead of getting Parise, maybe we get Semin and Doan. Instead of Suter, we get Yandle and Scott Hannan.

Amen. I'm bummed, but this game was rigged from the start. Plus, there are other moves they could make that could help and leave us with less cap burden. Is Ray Shero a garbage GM? What about the other 28 teams that didnt get these two? That seems a bit unfair.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Holland to the public: "My bad... my bad."

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#32 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

With all that cap tied up in 5 players, I bet the Wild ownership are even looking at each other and saying...."This better frickin work!"

Meanwhile, I think Holland is glad he doesn't have to pay either of them $7.5M for the next 13 years...I am mad about Suter though, I wish he had his own brain...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

With all that cap tied up in 5 players, I bet the Wild ownership are even looking at each other and saying...."This better frickin work!"

Meanwhile, I think Holland is glad he doesn't have to pay either of them $7.5M for the next 13 years...I am mad about Suter though, I wish he had his own brain...

Actually, as someone mentioned earlier, we'd have given them identical contracts if they would have signed here.

#34 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Ah the hell with The Ambiguously *** Minny Duo. Have fun never winning the Cup!
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#35 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

What I have to say to Holland: I hope Yzerman likes your office, I have a feeling he will be occupying it soon.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#36 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

I do not want any Defensive UFA that is left. so dont even go after one of them.

if you want to blow your load. semins doan and madden

#37 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Pretty sure Michigan has TONS of farmland- just saying.
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#38 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I do not want any Defensive UFA that is left. so dont even go after one of them.

if you want to blow your load. semins doan and madden

Because Detroit can roll 5 defensemen this season.
Im Wasser verbrannt

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

What I have to say to Holland: I hope Yzerman likes your office, I have a feeling he will be occupying it soon.

I wonder if free agents would be more willing to come here if Yzerman was GM?

#40 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

I wonder if free agents would be more willing to come here if Yzerman was GM?

At least Yzerman has balls. Holland has the balls of a Ken doll.
Im Wasser verbrannt