• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Matt Carle signs with Tampa Bay: 6-years, $33-million

Rate this topic

Yup, glad we didn't go after Carle.

No way do I want him for 6 yrs and 5.5 mill, way overpaid.

Yandle's at 5.5 and a much better player.

I don't know what they want, but lets make it happen.

Lets not sit around and wait for 3 weeks, or he'll be snapped up.

Holland will trade for one of these dmen:

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Victor Hedman ($4.000m)

Eric Brewer ($3.875m) / Sami Salo ($3.750m)

Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m) / Brian Lee ($1.150m)

Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m) / Brendan Mikkelson ($0.600m)

Book it.

Holland will trade for one of these dmen:

DEFENSEMEN

Matt Carle ($5.500m) / Victor Hedman ($4.000m)

Eric Brewer ($3.875m) / Sami Salo ($3.750m)

Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m) / Brian Lee ($1.150m)

Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m) / Brendan Mikkelson ($0.600m)

Book it.

I would be happy with Hedman or Brewer...

What about Keith Aulie?

I live in Toronto and thought Aulie was really good during his time with the crappy Leafs. If Aulie hadn't re-signed I would definitely like him on the Wings. I honestly don't know what it is with him and not being given a full time NHL shot. He's still young though (22 or 23 I think) so maybe his time is still coming

The alternatives: http://capgeek.com/u...s_type=ICE_TIME

That's a very weak defensive free agent pool right there. I think Holland will sign Kubina, as he tried to do previously.

Yes, there are certainly no top 2 defensemen left! But there is some potential depth, particularly someone to play the right side. Out of that list I wouldn't be totally horrified by one of:

Gilroy: I think he's a reasonably skilled guy, young, though maybe not the kind of player we need right now. I think the emergence of Karlsson made his role redundant in Ottawa.

Rozsival: a vet puck mover has played lots of minutes in the past though injuries are a question mark

Kubina: the heavy shot, probably the most physical of the bunch but also the oldest. Don't think he saw much ice for the flyers during the playoffs but they thought enough of him to pick him up from TB. But considering our d-corps is younger than ever, that might not be an issue. Didn't know that Holland pursued him before, but that is certainly telling.

There are some similar kinds of lefties -- not sure if any of them play the right side as Stuart preferred to. And I doubt Yzerman trades any D because now he has some strong depth with Aulie as number 8 on a 2-way contract. At best you get Bergevin, who I think is not the player we need.

From our perspective, when does a bit of overpayment stop being a reason not to sign someone? I mean, we have how much cap space?

When do we sit back and objectively say hey, this team is screwed? Because I feel we're nearing that point.

We're pretty much there. My only hope is the overabundance of forwards we have (16 I think, if we re-sign Abdelkader). I'm hoping we can use the extra forwards as leverage in a trade for a decent d-man (i.e. Yandle).

Guest Hatethedrake!

Trade for Yandle. sign Doan. Trade for Yandle. Sign Doan. Trade for Yandle. Sign Doan. Samuelsson, Tootoo, Brunner, Gustavsson IS OUR UFA SIGNINGS. We like our team. We are saving our Cap space for the trade deadline. Coom bye ah my Lord...Coom bye ah...of crap WTF do we do now...I did not want Carle. I did want Parise and Suter though. Seriously, we have 6 dmen...come on Kenny. WRECK SHOP ALREADY...

Guest Hatethedrake!

DO NOT TRADE FOR BOUWMEESTER. 6.6 mil. Stay away Kenny stay away!

From our perspective, when does a bit of overpayment stop being a reason not to sign someone? I mean, we have how much cap space?

We're pretty much there. My only hope is the overabundance of forwards we have (16 I think, if we re-sign Abdelkader). I'm hoping we can use the extra forwards as leverage in a trade for a decent d-man (i.e. Yandle).

Short-term overpayment would be ok, but not for 6-13 years...

If people are worried that we're not a playoff team right now, then with Carle we'd be at best a 7-8 seed. If we're a 7 or 8 now, then with Carle we're maybe a 5. And regardless, we may still need a full rebuild soon depending on how Pav and Hank continue to age. What Carle would bring is not worth making that commitment.

When do we sit back and objectively say hey, this team is screwed? Because I feel we're nearing that point.

I think we're already there. Trading our way to the major impact players is going to weaken the team in many other ways. I was all for trying to make deals for Nash for example a couple days ago when it seemed as if Suter was coming with Parise a possibility too. Then you're at least bringing in a lot of top notch guys to make up for the mid-level depth you give up to get a Nash. But at this point, I don't see how we make trades that don't cause as many problems as they solve. We needed to get at least one of either Parise or Suter to make trading a reasonable option. And given our desperate situation at this point, I think it's going to be all the harder to make reasonable trades.

Barring the unimaginable, this is going to be a rough, rough season coming up. Only upside is that it could be a good opportunity for some of our young guys to get some quality NHL experience a bit earlier. It won't help this season most likely, but there's always next July 1st...

Short-term overpayment would be ok, but not for 6-13 years...

If people are worried that we're not a playoff team right now, then with Carle we'd be at best a 7-8 seed. If we're a 7 or 8 now, then with Carle we're maybe a 5. And regardless, we may still need a full rebuild soon depending on how Pav and Hank continue to age. What Carle would bring is not worth making that commitment.

There's a part of me that wonders if Pavel will sign another NHL contract. I have nothing but a hunch to base it on, but I just wouldn't be shocked to see him head to Russia early for his families sake, especially if the team is less competitive in the coming years.