• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

I think Holland will be shifting gears a bit. Whereas he had considered making a trade to bring in Nash or perhaps Ryan, the disappearance of quality UFA defensemen means he's likely to have to trade for one of those instead. So look for a lower key UFA forward (Doan perhaps) and a big trade on D, the opposite of what the plan originally was.

I know he might sign someone like Kubina, but I can't convince myself Holland would be satisfied with a move like that, looking at our defensive needs. Losing out on Suter means we don't have any future UFA D-man prospects, either, except an outside chance at Weber next season. He still needs to fill that void and an aging veteran isn't the way to go.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

I am trying to remain positive, however the way things are unfolding makes me worry. No decent D available via UFA and the cash they demand is off the charts ! If things continue this way then Weber should be asking for 15mil/year over 20 years next summer. Kenny may resign Quincy for 6mil over 10 years. Crazy. I was hopping for a avarage D and a trade for Nash or Ryan. Now we have to trade for an avarage D. This sucks ! Somebody help !

Edited by arag, 05 July 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#63 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Larry Murphy?

#64 IrishWing19

IrishWing19

Token Irishman

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

So... Lebda anyone?

#65 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

This is getting sadder and sadder.

People are laughing now about overpaying players (and $5.5m/year for Carle is definitely one), but I would have rather overpaid with our more than ample cap-space, than trading away multiple key pieces to get a single high-end player in return. Holland is i a position of weakness and desperation at the moment, probably getting ready to sell the shirt off his back for a decent defenseman and/or high-end forward. I hope he does something, but I hope he doesn't dump half our forward roster and high-end prospects to get a single talent.

#66 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

Is it too late to beg Lidstrom to come back?

#67 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Is it too late to beg Lidstrom to come back?

Lids is not coming back.

#68 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Since we're about the reunion apparently, we could work out a Lilja and Meech package deal too. Maybe Kenny is thinking "hey, these guys won a cup together before, let's just get the old squad back together"

#69 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Too much money for him
IPB Image

#70 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sooo... Colaiacovo? :lol:

If all else fails, I wouldn't mind giving Cola a 1-2 year deal.... see what he can do and if he can stay healthy... can't hurt with all the cap we've got and if any trades prove fruitless.

The kid has the goods, he just needs to stay healthy and he'd be a solid 5/6 man for us.

#71 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Too much money for him

And then some... he is worth 3 max.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#72 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

If all else fails, I wouldn't mind giving Cola a 1-2 year deal.... see what he can do and if he can stay healthy... can't hurt with all the cap we've got and if any trades prove fruitless.

The kid has the goods, he just needs to stay healthy and he'd be a solid 5/6 man for us.

Well...Cola is an ex-Maple Leaf...For whatever reason they play well in Detroit.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#73 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I am trying to remain positive, however the way things are unfolding makes me worry. No decent D available via UFA and the cash they demand is off the charts ! If things continue this way then Weber should be asking for 15mil/year over 20 years next summer. Kenny may resign Quincy for 6mil over 10 years. Crazy. I was hopping for a avarage D and a trade for Nash or Ryan. Now we have to trade for an avarage D. This sucks ! Somebody help !

If anything comes out of the new CBA, I hope it addresses this issue the most. These contracts are asinine.

#74 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Overpayment is written all over this signing IMO. 6 years for $33 Million. IMO he was worth $4 Million AT THE MOST!