• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtydangles

Young Guns

Rate this topic

Pretend you are Ken Holland, and pretend you actually want to go with a youth movement in, say 2 years when the rest of our old guys are gone. This is the way our core likely looks:

Fwds:

Zetterberg (33)

Datsyuk (35)

Filppula (30)

Helm (27)

Nyquist (24)

Franzen (35)

Dmen:

Smith (25)

Kronwall (33)

Ericsson (30)

Goalies:

Howard (30)

Which of our prospects would you expect to be ready and which spots would you fill through other means?

I think in 2 years we will see for sure:

Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Tatar, Pulkkinen out of our forwards

I don't see any dmen ready for another 1-2 years beyond this (unless Sproul or Ouellet are studs). Lashoff might get a look but I don't see him as anything more than a 6/7. Almqvist is a hit or miss it seems. So I think we would have to address our D via FA or trade.

How do you guys see the future? Am I being realistic? Just want to forget our current troubles and look to a greener future...

they have to start integrating forwards as of this season we cant just put 2-5 rookies in the lineup in 2-3 yrs

the only ones i see in the lineup this year and next after are nyquist,smith,tatara and joakim andersson because of his frame , maybe if need be sheahan as well though not this season , the redwings like to leave the players develop

i do wish they could of convinced **** axelsson to have played in the ahl i think hes a good prospect that got away its too bad he wasnt so dedicated

I think you'd feel a whole lot better if you got the sand out of your mangina.

Fact is wings have a ton of young talent in the system.

lol i don't have sand in my... your point is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not trying to complain I simply am trying to look at timelines to see whats coming up. sorry if you thought it was a complaint.

Holland offered Suter a nice contract he didn't take it get over it people. Most lgw'ers have been lucky enough to see the Wings win 4 cups, if this has to be a transition year to let guys get a feel for the NHL don't get pissy because fans of this team have been spoiled. Whatever happens from here on out im happy to get to see Smith develop and play a bigger role. Maybe get Semin to play with Datsyuk and possibly one of Colaiacovo, Kubina or Barker.

GO WINGS!

The thing that concerns me is the lack of D prospects that are anywhere near ready... If the DeKeyser rumors are true (NHL ready, already picked the Wings as his destination) that makes me feel a little better, but Lashoff needs to take a big step in his development this year and we need Sproul, Nicastro, Oulette and even Backman to take big steps in their development... As for forwards, I feel we're in fantastic shape (Pulk, Jarnkok, Shehan, etc, etc, etc) and as far as goalie, we got a STUD in our system as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mrazek was pushing Jimmy for the starting gig in 2 years, and although this may sound crazy and even a little reckless, I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting a shot in camp this year to take the backup job from Joey, obviously the signing of Gus changed that, but I genuinely believe Mrazek will be GR's starter sooner, rather than later, and force the Wings hand to bring him up at some point, plus, if Gus does well, we could have a HELL of a good problem to have and some great trade assets in a goalie starved league...

Guest The Axe

Our prospects never get to play, so who cares about "the system"? Tatar, Nyquist, etc. They all sit or play 4th line minutes while Bertuzzi and Holmstrom suck up the good ice time. I would love to see the youngsters, but aint gonna happen.

How old is Brunner? I say if you're going to be splitting time with Mursak and Tatar then take rotations on the third line with Brunner. Our 4th line is solid if they pick up a big centre we have a very effective 4th line but these prospects need to be working offensively and playing with Helm would be win win for Helm and our prospects. Nyquist plays in the top 6 an if he gets outplayed by Tatar, Mursak or Brunner than make the switch but no young guys on the 4th line. We want them to learnto score

How old is Brunner? I say if you're going to be splitting time with Mursak and Tatar then take rotations on the third line with Brunner. Our 4th line is solid if they pick up a big centre we have a very effective 4th line but these prospects need to be working offensively and playing with Helm would be win win for Helm and our prospects. Nyquist plays in the top 6 an if he gets outplayed by Tatar, Mursak or Brunner than make the switch but no young guys on the 4th line. We want them to learnto score

If they are on the 4th, we need a line like the 'Two Kids and a Goat' line with Hull. Did alright for Dats and Z :) Then again we don't have anyone like Brett Hull to be on that line with them :(

The thing that concerns me is the lack of D prospects that are anywhere near ready... If the DeKeyser rumors are true (NHL ready, already picked the Wings as his destination) that makes me feel a little better, but Lashoff needs to take a big step in his development this year and we need Sproul, Nicastro, Oulette and even Backman to take big steps in their development... As for forwards, I feel we're in fantastic shape (Pulk, Jarnkok, Shehan, etc, etc, etc) and as far as goalie, we got a STUD in our system as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mrazek was pushing Jimmy for the starting gig in 2 years, and although this may sound crazy and even a little reckless, I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting a shot in camp this year to take the backup job from Joey, obviously the signing of Gus changed that, but I genuinely believe Mrazek will be GR's starter sooner, rather than later, and force the Wings hand to bring him up at some point, plus, if Gus does well, we could have a HELL of a good problem to have and some great trade assets in a goalie starved league...

I agree I think Mrazek could be pushing Jimmy, really excited by this guy. Fingers crossed DeKeyser joins us next year. Also fan of Pullkinnen, hoping the holy slapped makes it to hockeytown. With all this said two years may be too soon for each of these guys.

Guest The Axe

If all of these "prospects" were so good, they'd be with the team. You dont hold talent thats nhl ready back. You hold talent that is not nhl ready back. Unfortunately, if your not nhl ready by 21 or 22, odds are your "talent" isnt nhl caliber talent.

I think Tatar is ready. I don't mean that he's going to be great, but I think Holland should take the risk and not go "over-ripe" on a prospect. Bring him up, give him minutes and see what he can do.

redwings always let there prospects in the minors to develop alot longer than other teams just because we dont have the next neil yakupov that comes up at 18 yrs old doesnt mean we wont find someone in there in a few yrs that will be very good

as an example ... zetterberg was 22 when he came here and jarnkrok is 20 , not saying he will be zetterberg but hes got alot of talent , people have to calm down if this was 2002 people would be saying the same thing about zetterberg and then later regret trading him and calling out the gm

datsyuk was a rookie at 23 , kronwall 22, franzen 25,holmstrom 22

again ... CALM DOWN

one player who i think might be ready for some ice time later in the season and can help us is joakim andersson he's 23 and should be ready to help out and has good size we can use at 6'2 200+ and his goal production tripled last year in the ahl i think he might be able to be a 10-15 goal scorer

im not gonna expect it but i hope one day he shows a little scoring touch out of nowhere like franzen did

Well - Zetterberg was on the Swedish Olympic team in 2002, and he was the only member of that squad not playing in the NHL.

He also was considered the best young player in the world that wasn't in the NHL...Even Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg claimed Hank would become a star player for the Red Wings.

So far I haven't seen/heard as much from our current crop of prospects.

Well - Zetterberg was on the Swedish Olympic team in 2002, and he was the only member of that squad not playing in the NHL.

He also was considered the best young player in the world that wasn't in the NHL...Even Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg claimed Hank would become a star player for the Red Wings.

So far I haven't seen/heard as much from our current crop of prospects.

well jarnkrok was one of the best players in the swedish elite league and won the championship there, petr mrazek was unbelievable at the world juniors , jurco was on a great saint johns team that won the memorial cup

there's reason for optimism just gonna have to wait 1-5 yrs to see ( i put 5 more for mrazek as it takes longer for goalies to develop )

Honestly, we need help on D, everyone knows that. We've got alot of talented prospects in the system. They've been allowed to sit there, and ripen and gain experience before being thrown to the wolves in the NHL, whether that's the right approach or not, who knows. I think it is, seeing as these kids need time to develop their strength, size and speed to be capable of playing in the NHL. That being said, we've got quite a few "kids" down there now, that I think deserve a look. Not just a preseason game look, but a full blown turn in the NHL. It's time to see what theyve got. I'd hate to trade away a prospect, in search of filling some holes with more vets that we're going to need to replace in a few years anyways. Lets see what we've got down there, see if we can fill our own holes for once in the last few years. I know we're going to have to move someone to help us fill a hole on D, but to move guys in a trade for Nash, and Yandle, would just be crazy. You'd be looking at probably giving up at least two prospects and a pick for each. You can't leave the pantry completely bare, just to pick up a player or two. Then you're in the same position in 3-5 years when its time to replace them. Only then, you'd have given up your picks, and you have nobody to bring up and fill the holes.

In a cap world, I believe you have to grow stronger from within, with your draft picks, rather than over pay for guys like Suter, and Parise like Minny just did. You can only carry two 7.5m salaries for so long. Now we were in a unique situation where we needed to fill a #1 D position. I wish we had a better plan, someone ready to come up, or something. Unfortunately we dont. So its not as easy right now as saying Kenny... go get a #1 D man, because as the GM, he's got to think about the future as well. You can't just keep shipping off your young prospects. I understand we may have to right now, but you've got to be careful what you give up. Especially with how high demands from other teams are going to be right now given the deal Suter just got.

That being said, I'd love to see Nyquist fulltime this year, probably Tatar and Pulkinnen as well. I think its a given that Smith will be fulltime this year. I'd get Mrazek up the the AHL if possible. Lets see what we can do to speed up his development, his play at the WJHC was crazy good. Get the development of these guys moving. I think signing a guy like Doan is just a stopgap on the progression of your younger players. Theyre only going to grow so much in the AHL... you've got to get them on the ice in the NHL to keep them growing.

I'd be more inclined to move a vet, and a high draft pick and a mid level prospect for another proved D-man, before I'd trade guys like helm, filpula, jurco, pulkinnen, tatar, mrazek, etc, etc.