• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well - Zetterberg was on the Swedish Olympic team in 2002, and he was the only member of that squad not playing in the NHL.

He also was considered the best young player in the world that wasn't in the NHL...Even Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg claimed Hank would become a star player for the Red Wings.

So far I haven't seen/heard as much from our current crop of prospects.

Well - Zetterberg was on the Swedish Olympic team in 2002, and he was the only member of that squad not playing in the NHL.

He also was considered the best young player in the world that wasn't in the NHL...Even Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg claimed Hank would become a star player for the Red Wings.

So far I haven't seen/heard as much from our current crop of prospects.

well jarnkrok was one of the best players in the swedish elite league and won the championship there, petr mrazek was unbelievable at the world juniors , jurco was on a great saint johns team that won the memorial cup

there's reason for optimism just gonna have to wait 1-5 yrs to see ( i put 5 more for mrazek as it takes longer for goalies to develop )

#22 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Honestly, we need help on D, everyone knows that. We've got alot of talented prospects in the system. They've been allowed to sit there, and ripen and gain experience before being thrown to the wolves in the NHL, whether that's the right approach or not, who knows. I think it is, seeing as these kids need time to develop their strength, size and speed to be capable of playing in the NHL. That being said, we've got quite a few "kids" down there now, that I think deserve a look. Not just a preseason game look, but a full blown turn in the NHL. It's time to see what theyve got. I'd hate to trade away a prospect, in search of filling some holes with more vets that we're going to need to replace in a few years anyways. Lets see what we've got down there, see if we can fill our own holes for once in the last few years. I know we're going to have to move someone to help us fill a hole on D, but to move guys in a trade for Nash, and Yandle, would just be crazy. You'd be looking at probably giving up at least two prospects and a pick for each. You can't leave the pantry completely bare, just to pick up a player or two. Then you're in the same position in 3-5 years when its time to replace them. Only then, you'd have given up your picks, and you have nobody to bring up and fill the holes.

In a cap world, I believe you have to grow stronger from within, with your draft picks, rather than over pay for guys like Suter, and Parise like Minny just did. You can only carry two 7.5m salaries for so long. Now we were in a unique situation where we needed to fill a #1 D position. I wish we had a better plan, someone ready to come up, or something. Unfortunately we dont. So its not as easy right now as saying Kenny... go get a #1 D man, because as the GM, he's got to think about the future as well. You can't just keep shipping off your young prospects. I understand we may have to right now, but you've got to be careful what you give up. Especially with how high demands from other teams are going to be right now given the deal Suter just got.

That being said, I'd love to see Nyquist fulltime this year, probably Tatar and Pulkinnen as well. I think its a given that Smith will be fulltime this year. I'd get Mrazek up the the AHL if possible. Lets see what we can do to speed up his development, his play at the WJHC was crazy good. Get the development of these guys moving. I think signing a guy like Doan is just a stopgap on the progression of your younger players. Theyre only going to grow so much in the AHL... you've got to get them on the ice in the NHL to keep them growing.

I'd be more inclined to move a vet, and a high draft pick and a mid level prospect for another proved D-man, before I'd trade guys like helm, filpula, jurco, pulkinnen, tatar, mrazek, etc, etc.
Posted Image