• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

Semin

Rate this topic

Datsyuk knows him, maybe he has an "inside track" on stuff that Red Wings don't want in their system for multiple years? I don't like Semin, I think he's a cancer and probably one of the biggest "inside issues" in Washington. I think a one year signing is too long, personally.

I'm sure there is a reason why Holland isn't too hot on the guy, Pav probably knows a few things.

Maybe,but Pavs looked like a regular player at the Worlds,until Semin joined the team,and then....

Maybe after the Suter/Parise signings, he's downplaying it to try and keep yet another free agent signing from turning into an episode of the bachelor.

True.

But there could be the fear that he'll play for a year under contract, and if he doesn't like it then he bolts to the KHL where he doesn't have to work as hard, and the Wings (or whoever signed him) lose him for nothing.

Yeah I agree. No matter what, signing Semin is going to come with a question mark or two. It's obviously going to be a gamble, but as you said before, it certainly seems like the kind of gamble that Holland would typically be willing to make. Then again, many of the things KH has done this off season haven't really seemed very Holland-like to me, so as I've previously mentioned...I have no idea what to expect from him.

I'd have to imagine if Datsyuk was in Holland's ear about getting Semin here, that Semin would be here or at least we'd be in discussions with his Agent. I just think Holland is trying to figure out defense now and also waiting on Doan.

I'd have to imagine if Datsyuk was in Holland's ear about getting Semin here, that Semin would be here or at least we'd be in discussions with his Agent. I just think Holland is trying to figure out defense now and also waiting on Doan.

I definitely think he's waiting on Doan as well, but that worries me because so are a lot of other teams. Once Doan decides what he's doing all those teams that missed out are going to start bidding up Semin, and once he gets bid up, Holland will likely walk on the deal. That's the mind boggling thing about this entire free agency period, Holland keeps waiting on these guys...doesn't get them, and then doesn't want to pay the price for the plan B options once he's missed his first choice. Or at least it appears that way to me.

I definitely think he's waiting on Doan as well, but that worries me because so are a lot of other teams. Once Doan decides what he's doing all those teams that missed out are going to start bidding up Semin, and once he gets bid up, Holland will likely walk on the deal. That's the mind boggling thing about this entire free agency period, Holland keeps waiting on these guys...doesn't get them, and then doesn't want to pay the price for the plan B options once he's missed his first choice. Or at least it appears that way to me.

Yeah, that seems the case, but I would like to think that there are so many different angles to these deals that it's hard to really grasp onto what anyone is thinking without any inside information. I think Holland is still working the phones trying to find the right fit. It doesn't seem he's talking to Semin, but for all we know, his comment was a smoke screen. TIme will tell, but I'm also not holding my breath. I'm just looking forward to see what the younger guys can do this upcoming season. Should be interesting.

Yeah, that seems the case, but I would like to think that there are so many different angles to these deals that it's hard to really grasp onto what anyone is thinking without any inside information. I think Holland is still working the phones trying to find the right fit. It doesn't seem he's talking to Semin, but for all we know, his comment was a smoke screen. TIme will tell, but I'm also not holding my breath. I'm just looking forward to see what the younger guys can do this upcoming season. Should be interesting.

yeah for sure, the young guys are going to be a big factor this year and it's the first time in a long time that I'm excited about the young talent (unlike last year's Emmerton and Mursak infusion). I'm REALLY excited to see what this Brunner kid can do. If he turns out to be something quality, then that makes him or Nyquist expendable, in which case a high profile trade is entirely possible. As for the top six, as it is it's nothing special and very very shallow. If Holland doesn't acquire anyone prior to the season opener then I feel like it's almost an admission that we're taking a year to rebuild, given how hard it is to make up points after the trade deadline in today's game.

I really cannot believe Semin hasn't signed anywhere yet...but all the sign's I see point to the Pen's, I don't want that to happen but it really doesn't seem like Holland is interested.

Well, all reports show that theres under 5 teams that are interested in him/shown interest. He wants a multi-term deal inwhich no GM wants to pull the trigger on that. He simply just isn't getting what he wants, and it seems like noone is coming to a close with this guy. I would naturally think that he is going to sign with the KHL by the end of the week for their training camp, but I think he would've signed with the KHL by now if he really didn't want to play in the NHL anymore. It seems like he really wants to stay in the league, but simply noone wants to risk him. Weird but that's what happens when you have a horrible reputation.

But there could be the fear that he'll play for a year under contract, and if he doesn't like it then he bolts to the KHL where he doesn't have to work as hard, and the Wings (or whoever signed him) lose him for nothing.

True but its not like we are giving assets to acquire him. If he bolts he bolts and we dont have to get rid of his contract or pay him if it doesnt work.

True but its not like we are giving assets to acquire him. If he bolts he bolts and we dont have to get rid of his contract or pay him if it doesnt work.

Agreed.

I just meant that you think you've got a player locked up for a certain number of years and then suddenly there's a hole in your lineup that you could've tried to fill some other way.

Like when Hudler took the Wings to arbitration that commits him to signing with the Wings so I'm guessing Holland was counting on him being in the lineup. Then suddenly he bolted to the KHL and you're short a player and free agency options are limited.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kenny may be playing a game of Poker here. He knows that Semin has a bad reputation which is essentially why he has not signed with a team yet. Why pay him what he is asking when if you wait a little bit, the price may go down? Who knows. I think Semin would be great here. Signing a 40 goal scorer and giving up no assets is a risk worth taking IMO.

Kenny may be playing a game of Poker here. He knows that Semin has a bad reputation which is essentially why he has not signed with a team yet. Why pay him what he is asking when if you wait a little bit, the price may go down? Who knows. I think Semin would be great here. Signing a 40 goal scorer and giving up no assets is a risk worth taking IMO.

This is true, but the very opposite might possibly happen as well. Once Doan figures out his situation then Semin is the only free agent game in town. Chances are he could cost much less before Doan's decision, and much more afterward. Hard to tell how this is going to shake out.

Guest Crymson

Doesn't it seem like all GMs are waiting until after these CBA negotiations to make any more signings?

There have been no signings in well over a week, so yes... it seems they are. I suspect that Semin is waiting to see if a lockout will occur, and will play in the KHL should one occur.

I just want him to sign somewhere so that all this speculation ends haha

Detroit please ;) I wouldn't mind a 4 year deal, between 5-6 mill a year. I really think he's worth the gamble. He would be without a doubt our elite goal scorer.

Detroit please ;) I wouldn't mind a 4 year deal, between 5-6 mill a year. I really think he's worth the gamble. He would be without a doubt our elite goal scorer.

I am leaning towards the khl now for Semin unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you look at it.

(have not seen you in a while but knew I could find you here ;) mom say's to remind you of a bbq on the 29th lol)

I am leaning towards the khl now for Semin unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you look at it.

(have not seen you in a while but knew I could find you here ;) mom say's to remind you of a bbq on the 29th lol)

Oh dear Im being tracked Auntie D on the interwebs, Ill be there!

Back on topic I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign in the khl either but I hope he comes here:)

Oh dear Im being tracked Auntie D on the interwebs, Ill be there!

Back on topic I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign in the khl either but I hope he comes here:)

It does seem like if Kenny hasn't signed him yet, it is getting less likely he will. Even with the unstable CBA situation, signing Semin still seems like a complete no brainer to me. Wings still have a mountain of cap space, even if the cap drops fairly significantly. With a one year deal, there's very very low risk involved, but I'm not an NHL gm and in Kenneth, I still trust.

I'm willing to accept that the defense will not be as good as it was last year, but only if the Wings improve in other areas.

I DO think that our goaltending situation is the best it has been in years, especially if Jimmy stays healthy.

And I'm in the minority that actually believes our forward group improved somewhat (Sammy>Hudler, Tootoo>Holmstrom), but so far not enough to negate the deficits on defense, which is why we need that an impact scorer like Semin (or Doan, or both ;)).

I jut don't know what Kenny is waiting for....Doan? Semin? He is in on the Nash trade talk, waiting for that? I wish we as fans knew more! I still think this team needs that top scorer not named Franzine. Semin or Nash would be that sniper. Ryan would too, Doan would be a 20-30 goal grinding forward. Semin would definitely top 40 with Datsyuk as would Nash (or possibly 50)

If somehow Kenny could trade for Nash AND sign Semin, we're in! (Ilke Doan and Ryan as well, or hell any combo! I just hate the wait!) Each day that goes by seems like Holland isn't going to do anything else....ugh!