• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

Semin

Rate this topic

30+Goals while we have the $...It helps make up for the lack of D...and did I mention we have $.

Or.. we can can sit on the money and wait until next year. I'm kidding. We sat on the money last off season, it appears we will sit on the money this season. I agree with you though, why don't we sign him to a one year deal at the price he likes (providing it is not outrageous) and we will still have a bunch of cap space come next off season. So, we sign Semin for a one year deal, he goes on the road and kills to opposition's defense with the help of Datsuyk, and he comes back to Detroit before we even knew he left. Tell me how this is not a good plan.

Or.. we can can sit on the money and wait until next year. I'm kidding. We sat on the money last off season, it appears we will sit on the money this season. I agree with you though, why don't we sign him to a one year deal at the price he likes (providing it is not outrageous) and we will still have a bunch of cap space come next off season. So, we sign Semin for a one year deal, he goes on the road and kills to opposition's defense with the help of Datsuyk, and he comes back to Detroit before we even knew he left. Tell me how this is not a good plan.

I hope we sit on some of the money. I still want them to sign a top 6 forward and trade for a defenceman, but it would be nice to have a good cushion should the cap drop after the CBA negotiations. I figure there will be at least a handful of teams dumping salary to get under the cap should the cap drop and no amnesty clause be instituted.

Funny thing is, I like Semin. I actually have a soft spot for guys who are only in it for goals. My problem is, like Rivalred said above, he's more of the same - and we're talking about a team that just s*** the bed because it is so one-dimensional, so samey. If we had our s*** together on D (on the blue line and team-wise), I'd be more for it. If our forecheck was big and fast and nasty and Built Ford Tough, I'd be more for it. If Semin were only one of maybe two lazy, floating, non-physical guys in our forward corps., I'd be more for it.

I keep bringing this up, but, seriously - what are we going to do when we run up against a team like the Preds again in the postseason, and they beat us down, grind us out, throw up the lockdown D, box us out in their zone? Is Alexander Semin just magically going to be the one who breaks through the box and crashes the crease and mucks and bangs in the corners and changes the complexion of the series? I don't think so.

Give me Bobby Ryan and Shane Doan, then we can sign Semin. Maybe.

Edited by Dabura

Funny thing is, I like Semin. I actually have a soft spot for guys who are only in it for goals. My problem is, like Rivalred said above, he's more of the same - and we're talking about a team that just s*** the bed because it is so one-dimensional, so samey. If we had our s*** together on D (on the blue line and team-wise), I'd be more for it. If our forecheck was big and fast and nasty and Built Ford Tough, I'd be more for it. If Semin were only one of maybe two lazy, floating, non-physical guys in our forward corps., I'd be more for it.

I keep bringing this up, but, seriously - what are we going to do when we run up against a team like the Preds again in the postseason, and they beat us down, grind us out, throw up the lockdown D, box us out in their zone? Is Alexander Semin just magically going to be the one who breaks through the box and crashes the crease and mucks and bangs in the corners and changes the complexion of the series? I don't think so.

Franzen, Hudler, and Sammy were all on the 08 team when we last won the Cup.

Edited by Rivalred

But he's not more of the same. He's a SNIPER and a Winger! Well, I guess we have one in Franzen........

I hope we sit on some of the money. I still want them to sign a top 6 forward and trade for a defenceman, but it would be nice to have a good cushion should the cap drop after the CBA negotiations. I figure there will be at least a handful of teams dumping salary to get under the cap should the cap drop and no amnesty clause be instituted.

I really hope you are right about a few teams dumping some contracts that we could get for cheaper than market value. In my mind, if we do go after Semin, it should just be a temporary deal. He could take a page out of Hossa's book and sign a few one year deals before going after the long one. Although, who knows what the new CBA will bring in terms of contracts.

Guest Hatethedrake!

What if Kenny trades Flip, Nyquist and a 1st for Yandle. Then signs Doan and Semin...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Shane Doan ($5.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.500m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,433,712; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $766,288

What if Kenny trades Flip, Nyquist and a 1st for Yandle. Then signs Doan and Semin...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Shane Doan ($5.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Semin ($5.500m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,433,712; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $766,288

That would be a bad trade. If Flip and Nyquist are going anywhere it will be fore Bobby Ryan. Yandle isn't worth that.

Realistically speaking, we'll look something like this next year:

Benn-Datsyuk-Eriksson

Alfredsson-E.Staal-Selanne

Neil-Helm-Upshall

McGrattan-Chipchura-Tootoo

Orr/Miller

Kronwall-Doughty

Jovanovski-Giordano

Erskine-McQuaid

Vandermeer

Problem?

As long as it's Bobby Orr you mean, sure it would be an ... adequate lineup :)

Why do people hate Orr so much? Yes, he is an enforcer - a pretty good one at that - but I just can't understand, why guys like him or McGrattan aren't getting more respect? They are having the toughest job in the whole game.

If Orr would be available bring him in.

Why do people hate Orr so much? Yes, he is an enforcer - a pretty good one at that - but I just can't understand, why guys like him or McGrattan aren't getting more respect? They are having the toughest job in the whole game.

If Orr would be available bring him in.

Whether people like him or not, he's gonna play under Randy Carlyle this season.

Whether people like him or not, he's gonna play under Randy Carlyle this season.

Sadly true, playing in that fishbowl and knowing you are "only" the emergency option is for sure a hard thing. I don't know much about him, but why don't they use him as a 3rd line powerforward? He has size and is nasty.

The main reason I want Semin or Doan isnt because we NEED them up front. We have 4/5 solid lines as is ... but if we wana trade for a good dman well have to part ways with Filp/Franzen/Cleary so having a good peice to replace them (or improve on them) right now would be nice.

Last week The Hockey New's Lyle Richardson reported that Semin wanted two years and ten million dollars for his upcoming contract. I couldn't understand why nobody had jumped at that yet. He's now citing a report out of the Raleigh N.C. that suggests Semin is asking for 7 million dollars. He didn't report on the term. While I'm skeptical that sports writer out of N.C. knows anything about hockey, if this report is indeed true, then Alexander Semin can go f*** himself (as much as I'd love to see that shot on Datsyuk's wing).

http://www.thehockey...d-in-Semin.html

Edited by kipwinger

Last week The Hockey New's Lyle Richardson reported that Semin wanted two years and ten million dollars for his upcoming contract. I couldn't understand why nobody had jumped at that yet. He's now citing a report out of the Raleigh N.C. that suggests Semin is asking for 7 million dollars. He didn't report on the term. While I'm skeptical that sports writer out of N.C. knows anything about hockey, if this report is indeed true, then Alexander Semin can go f*** himself (as much as I'd love to see that shot on Datsyuk's wing).

http://www.thehockey...d-in-Semin.html

10 mil split over 2 years? I'd be absolutely fine with that.

Speaking of which, here is an excellent article on Semin and why we should absolutely go for him. Honestly, if Crawford and Mcguire didn't go on their little anti-Semintic (had to do the pun) rant on the 1st, he almost definitely would have been signed by now.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_agency/2012/07/24/alexander_semin_worth_the_risk_free_agent_washington_capitals/

Everyone forgets, stat wise, he looks just about the same on paper as Parise.

Signing him short term and trading for a defenseman could actually salvage our offseason.

I find the fact that people here don't want the Wings to sign Semin to be mind boggling. He instantly becomes the best winger the team has. I'm not suggesting the Wings break the bank with him but 10-12 over 2 years or 6.5 for one year would be a great addition to the team and without the long term commitment. If he is looking for a longer term deal I'm not sure.

I would think to trade for a Bobby Ryan might cost too much and I would rather add Semin without losing Flip.

I find the fact that people here don't want the Wings to sign Semin to be mind boggling. He instantly becomes the best winger the team has. I'm not suggesting the Wings break the bank with him but 10-12 over 2 years or 6.5 for one year would be a great addition to the team and without the long term commitment. If he is looking for a longer term deal I'm not sure.

I would think to trade for a Bobby Ryan might cost too much and I would rather add Semin without losing Flip.

That is what I like the most about Doan and Semin alike. The fact we don't have to lose Flip is huge, he's top 3 in my mind. Doan I am sure will sign with NY at a discount to win but I hope Kenny is really kicking the tires of this Semin thing, if not then someone on the inside isn't a fan...