• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

Semin

Rate this topic

We're supposed to be making ourselves a better playoff ready team. I don't see how a soft winger that's inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs helps that.

I hope you realize that with the current roster and possibility of Pasha or Z get injured(god forbid) at the "wrong" time,we're not a lock for the playoffs spot.

How does signing nobody help that?

I didn't say they shouldn't sign anyone, but spending money on a player that will do next to nothing in the playoffs isn't a good move either. I know there's a lot of anxious people out there that just want to throw the bank at "player x" because at least its better than doing nothing, but that's not the Red Wings way. The Wings will offer what they feel the player is worth and if they take it, then great, if not, then we move on.

Look, every criticism of Semin is fair, and there are obvious concerns about him...but can you name any other player (aside from maybe Nicklas Backstrom) who has been elevated by playing with Ovechkin? He isn't that type of player. He's not a playmaker like Joe Thornton that can turn a scrub like Jonathan Cheechoo into a 50-goal scorer if he feels so inclined. He's a finisher. Moreover, I'm pretty sure they purposefully played Semin and Ovie on different lines for the bulk of this time there, since their roles would be similar.

I think Datysuk does make his wingers look and play better, and he also compensates for defensive inadequacies. I also think that there are as many Russians who despise Ovechkin as there are that like him, whereas Datsyuk seems to be universally respected. Instead of arguing over who banged Alyonka Larionov the most times, perhaps Semin would refocus, at least in the short term, with an organization like Detroit that celebrated and appreciate Russians more than any other NHL franchise. (Granted, we're more Swedish now).

Edit: Sorry this has already been posted.

Per Mlive: http://www.mlive.com...camp_notes.html

Alexander Semin might be the most skilled unrestricted free agent still on the marketbut it doesn't sound like the Red Wings have any interest in him.

"I talked to his agent once but right now we're doing nothing," said general manager Ken Holland in regards to Semin.

Semin is probably asking way too much, simple as that.

Edited by ElCapitan

Alexander Semin might be the most skilled unrestricted free agent still on the marketbut it doesn't sound like the Red Wings have any interest in him.

"I talked to his agent once but right now we're doing nothing," said general manager Ken Holland in regards to Semin.

I actually think it might be the opposite of that. I think he's willing to take less like around $5.5 mil, but wants more years. Teams don't want to sign a guy with a reputation of having a bad work ethic to a long term deal. If it was a money thing, I would think one of these teams trying to reach the cap floor or a team with plenty of cap space would just sign him to high salary 1 or 2 year deal.

I actually think it might be the opposite of that. I think he's willing to take less like around $5.5 mil, but wants more years. Teams don't want to sign a guy with a reputation of having a bad work ethic to a long term deal. If it was a money thing, I would think one of these teams trying to reach the cap floor or a team with plenty of cap space would just sign him to high salary 1 or 2 year deal.

Very well could be either way. My thinking was that if a KHL team is offering him 10 mil. that Semin thinks a "discount" or "lower amount" would be around 7-8 mil. Who really knows though.

Edit: Sorry this has already been posted.

Ok, lets hope Doan isn't asking for too much and we can get him! I'd still love a trade, but I am sure if that happens it won't be until August or September...

Get Doan....Get Kubina....Get Abdelkader....Decide of Quincey's award....I would still LOVE to poach Jeremy Welsh for some great depth!

But damn, other than Mursak and Emmerton, who will be pushed out? Miller? Eaves? I could try to trade Cleary for Welsh but I doubt that happens...I will leave Welsh a fantasy to have, it would be nice though...

FORWARDS

Shane Doan ($5.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Pavel Kubina ($4.000m)

Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,783,712; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $3,416,288

I know this is a 24 man roster, but the final cut can come at training camp....it's just too hard to let Eaves or Miller go....

Guest Crymson

According to Sirius FM Semin is to sign with Pittsburgh for 1 year. Since he preferred to keep signing short contracts with Washington before, this rumor rings true.

It has been noted that this was an erroneous report. Also:

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov

Semin told me today there is no timeline on his decision where he will sign; wouldn't confirm the clubs that made offers.

Edited by Crymson

Semin has proven that he can be a point per game player if he feels like it, and has had one solid playoff year. Besides that, he's been on the decline with Ovechkin on his line, and provided 4 points in 14 playoff games and managed a -4. He's appealing because he's one of the few options left, but all we'd be getting is another Franzen that doesn't produce as much in the playoffs. I know people think Semin playing with Datsyuk would "spark" his play, but if he's already underwhelming on a line with Alex Ovechkin who is one of the more intense and exciting players in hockey, then i'm not entire sure Datsyuk would motivate him either.

I'm completely for bringing in Yandle, but how realistic of a trade option that is remains unknown.

I'm not opposed to going into this season and sticking out a tough year until the offseason next year when we can spend cap money on a player that we can actually benefit from more and lock up to a longer term contract. There's no reason to spend money on the "leftovers" this year just because the money is there to spend when we can be a front runner having a lot of cap room next year and have more logical free agent options.

I for one wouldn't mind being among the teams throwing offer sheets at Tobias Enstrom next year.

You didn't watch the capitals in the playoffs this year did ya? Semin was playing excellent two way hockey for caps. I'm not big on Russian players even since federov. However semin would be the guy taking the shots on the wings, rather than watching ovechkin take 10 a game. watching pavel and Alexander at the worlds they were incredible together like they have been playing together for years. Like I sId I'm not big on Russian players but semin and datsyuk would be scary

Edited by EastonWings

Guest Crymson

You didn't watch the capitals in the playoffs this year did ya? Semin was playing excellent two way hockey for caps. I'm not big on Russian players even since federov. However semin would be the guy taking the shots on the wings, rather than watching ovechkin take 10 a game. watching pavel and Alexander at the worlds they were incredible together like they have been playing together for years. Like I sId I'm not big on Russian players but semin and datsyuk would be scary

Don't you think it's an issue that Semin only chooses to play two-way, hardworking hockey when he wants to? If he played like this all the time, he'd be a hot commodity; but he has the talent and chooses to work hard only rarely. Also, this was the postseason before unrestricted free agency.

Don't you think it's an issue that Semin only chooses to play two-way, hardworking hockey when he wants to? If he played like this all the time, he'd be a hot commodity; but he has the talent and chooses to work hard only rarely. Also, this was the postseason before unrestricted free agency.

Well to be fair, this postseason was also the only time Semin had a coach other than Bruce Boudreau. Perhaps it was Dale Hunter's coaching that improved his two way game. In which case, there's every reason to believe that Babcock could do the same.

Note: His rookie year Boudreau wasn't the coach, so you might have me there.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe

Im fine with guys not going all out during the regular season and then doing just that in the playoffs

doesn't matter, as soon as someone like fistric or sutton crushes him he will go home crying to his parents that the bully hurt him.

Why are we even talking about this? We just ran a guy out of town in Hudler, who (although less gifted) gave more effort and played with more grit than Semin ever has, and that doesn't say much... yet he took SOO much flak for being lazy and soft... if you don't like lazy and soft, your head would explode with Semin here... he is the exact type of player we don't need... and before anyone even says it, points only count when you actually score them, want to look at that stat sheet and remind yourself the last time he put up 40 goals and/or a 60+ point season? Oh yea, and lets not forget the stunning playoff performances he's had the last few years as well...

This board is so bi-polar sometimes it's mind blowing....

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Crymson

I just want holland to do something

No GM is doing anything right now. I figure there's got to be a reason for that.