• This topic is locked This topic is locked
427 replies to this topic

#261 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

That's arbitrary. What information have you to back this claim up?

What's your plan?

Sign Semin for the shortest term he's willing to go. Trade for Yandle.

Proven talent and youth injection on forward side and defensive side. Call it a day.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#262 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

Sign Semin for the shortest term he's willing to go. Trade for Yandle.

Proven talent and youth injection on forward side and defensive side. Call it a day.

Semin has proven that he can be a point per game player if he feels like it, and has had one solid playoff year. Besides that, he's been on the decline with Ovechkin on his line, and provided 4 points in 14 playoff games and managed a -4. He's appealing because he's one of the few options left, but all we'd be getting is another Franzen that doesn't produce as much in the playoffs. I know people think Semin playing with Datsyuk would "spark" his play, but if he's already underwhelming on a line with Alex Ovechkin who is one of the more intense and exciting players in hockey, then i'm not entire sure Datsyuk would motivate him either.

I'm completely for bringing in Yandle, but how realistic of a trade option that is remains unknown.

I'm not opposed to going into this season and sticking out a tough year until the offseason next year when we can spend cap money on a player that we can actually benefit from more and lock up to a longer term contract. There's no reason to spend money on the "leftovers" this year just because the money is there to spend when we can be a front runner having a lot of cap room next year and have more logical free agent options.

I for one wouldn't mind being among the teams throwing offer sheets at Tobias Enstrom next year.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#263 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:55 AM

Semin has proven that he can be a point per game player if he feels like it, and has had one solid playoff year. Besides that, he's been on the decline with Ovechkin on his line, and provided 4 points in 14 playoff games and managed a -4. He's appealing because he's one of the few options left, but all we'd be getting is another Franzen that doesn't produce as much in the playoffs. I know people think Semin playing with Datsyuk would "spark" his play, but if he's already underwhelming on a line with Alex Ovechkin who is one of the more intense and exciting players in hockey, then i'm not entire sure Datsyuk would motivate him either.

I'm completely for bringing in Yandle, but how realistic of a trade option that is remains unknown.

I'm not opposed to going into this season and sticking out a tough year until the offseason next year when we can spend cap money on a player that we can actually benefit from more and lock up to a longer term contract. There's no reason to spend money on the "leftovers" this year just because the money is there to spend when we can be a front runner having a lot of cap room next year and have more logical free agent options.

I for one wouldn't mind being among the teams throwing offer sheets at Tobias Enstrom next year.

Worth ethnic is questionable, however I feel there was very little leadership with the Caps. I think a change in scenery, teammates, and management is exactly what he needs. I really think with Datsyuk as a mentor, this kid can shine. I mean, he IS afterall a proven 40 goal scorer.

As for Yandle, I do think we'll have to give some valuable prospects and probably Franzen or Fippula but as our defense stands now, we'd be totally investing in our future, so it's worth it.

This is our best option for now. We can't keep hoping for what will happen "next year". Holland's been doing that for the past 4 years and where has it gotten us?

Edited by ShanahanMan, 09 July 2012 - 02:55 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#264 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Weber, Getzlaf and some other intriguing names are UFA next year as well unless they sign extensions with their clubs. I'd rather see lots of young guys rotate through this year to see which one's belong in the NHL and then build around those young guys that will secure the future. Semin has offensive potential, but i wouldn't want to sign him for more than 1 year.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#265 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Edited by ElCapitan, 09 July 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#266 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Alexander Semin might be

the most skilled unrestricted free agent still on the market

but it doesn't sound like the Red Wings have any interest in him.

"I talked to his agent once but right now we're doing nothing," said general manager Ken Holland.

http://www.mlive.com...camp_notes.html

#267 radekas

radekas

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Alexander Semin might be

the most skilled unrestricted free agent still on the market

but it doesn't sound like the Red Wings have any interest in him.

"I talked to his agent once but right now we're doing nothing," said general manager Ken Holland.

This is beyond sad.

Edited by radekas, 09 July 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#268 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

not sure why we wouldn't at least inquire... its obvious we aren't trading for anything at this point considering that he isn't going to add any forward depth.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#269 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I just don't think Kenny/Mr. I see him in a DRW jersey, plain and simple. I think if all other options fall through and become exhausted, then maybe they go get him. But the fact that no one has picked him up yet - there's a reason for that.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#270 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Well cross off Semin from our list then. Oh well...

#271 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

I just don't think Kenny/Mr. I see him in a DRW jersey, plain and simple. I think if all other options fall through and become exhausted, then maybe they go get him. But the fact that no one has picked him up yet - there's a reason for that.

Exactly. A thin free agent market and this former 40+ goal scorer is still sitting out there says something about the person. We're supposed to be making ourselves a better playoff ready team. I don't see how a soft winger that's inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs helps that.

#272 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Last I saw, even the richest team in the KHL (SKA St. Petersburg) has said they're not interested in Semin. I think that speaks volumes.

#273 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

But Franzen wants more fun.....
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#274 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

There is a reason nobody wants this guy. Let him go.

#275 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Tootoo and samuelsson so far. Ugggggg

#276 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

But Franzen wants more fun.....

I wonder how long that ridiculous quote will be misinterpreted before that guy freaking retires...

Exactly. A thin free agent market and this former 40+ goal scorer is still sitting out there says something about the person. We're supposed to be making ourselves a better playoff ready team. I don't see how a soft winger that's inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs helps that.

How does signing nobody help that?

Posted Image

#277 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

How many more times are we just going to "GO WITH WHAT WE HAVE"
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#278 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

We're supposed to be making ourselves a better playoff ready team. I don't see how a soft winger that's inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs helps that.

I hope you realize that with the current roster and possibility of Pasha or Z get injured(god forbid) at the "wrong" time,we're not a lock for the playoffs spot.

#279 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

How does signing nobody help that?

I didn't say they shouldn't sign anyone, but spending money on a player that will do next to nothing in the playoffs isn't a good move either. I know there's a lot of anxious people out there that just want to throw the bank at "player x" because at least its better than doing nothing, but that's not the Red Wings way. The Wings will offer what they feel the player is worth and if they take it, then great, if not, then we move on.

#280 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Look, every criticism of Semin is fair, and there are obvious concerns about him...but can you name any other player (aside from maybe Nicklas Backstrom) who has been elevated by playing with Ovechkin? He isn't that type of player. He's not a playmaker like Joe Thornton that can turn a scrub like Jonathan Cheechoo into a 50-goal scorer if he feels so inclined. He's a finisher. Moreover, I'm pretty sure they purposefully played Semin and Ovie on different lines for the bulk of this time there, since their roles would be similar.

I think Datysuk does make his wingers look and play better, and he also compensates for defensive inadequacies. I also think that there are as many Russians who despise Ovechkin as there are that like him, whereas Datsyuk seems to be universally respected. Instead of arguing over who banged Alyonka Larionov the most times, perhaps Semin would refocus, at least in the short term, with an organization like Detroit that celebrated and appreciate Russians more than any other NHL franchise. (Granted, we're more Swedish now).