• This topic is locked This topic is locked
427 replies to this topic

#141 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Khan on the huge show just said the wings would have to be very desperate to go after Semin. He doesn't feel they are very interested in him.

How reliable is Mr. Khan?

#142 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Khan on the huge show just said the wings would have to be very desperate to go after Semin. He doesn't feel they are very interested in him.

Wings ARE desperate. If we are gonna be more than a 6th-10th place team we need to make significant additions. I hope Holland doesn't let Semin's bad rep overshadow what he'd bring to this team. Being surrounded by Babcock, Renney, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, maybe Doan, is different than being around Bodreau, Ovie and Green and I think Semin would behave accordingly.

#143 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Semin,datsyuk line was amazing at the worlds. Watching semin play in this years playoffs he played fantastic like he was trying to prove something. it's scary to think how much it would help pavel on a line with him. Pavel would actually have a sniper something we've been lacking since 81 left.

Semin and Datsyuk were great at WC. Datsyuk needs someone with some skill and a shot on his line, Bertuzzi isn't cutting it, and a lot of the time, neither is Franzen. Have Pasha make a phone call and start negotiations at 4 years, $22mil. Why we wouldn't at least try is a complete mystery to me. We need defense, but one has nothing to do with the other.

Sign Semin. He isn't the best, but he will fit, and hell, with all the reclamation projects everyone loves around here, wouldn't we just as soon reclaim a player like Semin, with the production intact and the attitude needing work, as we would a guy like Cleary?

#144 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Not sure how reliable the guy is, since he's a Pens beat writer, but he tweeted:

"Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler: "No question, playing in Pittsburgh would be great. Alex would love to play with either Malkin or Crosby.""

#145 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'd give him 5 years $20M, but NO to a NMC/NTC...

4 years $20M, if Sammy has NTC why can't Semin have it???

Semin + Dats = force

Then, Kenny should ADD top Def (Yandle) via trade, and bring some depth on D (Vandermeer).
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#146 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Not sure how reliable the guy is, since he's a Pens beat writer, but he tweeted:

"Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler: "No question, playing in Pittsburgh would be great. Alex would love to play with either Malkin or Crosby.""

Typical politically correct comment that doesn't mean much. Although Pens are sure to be after Semin and he probably would like playing with Geno.

Word is Pens are reluctant to offer anything long-term since they have Malkin to sign soon.

Wings can spend, and they can easily offer 3-4 or even 5 years. Holland should NOT be outbid on this one.

#147 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey if Detroit doesn't want Semin, then so be it...I say go full force for Bobby Ryan...Filppula, Mursak, Tatar a couple of extras should get the job done... A legit PROVEN 2nd line center (who will be as smooth as cake and butter with Selanne(assuming he'll play agian)) and two young prospects with tons of potential...

Trade for Ryan, trade for Defenseman, sign Doan...hold on tight!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#148 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Something tells me Kenny is not going to sign him.... That sucks unless we're getting Doan and Morrow.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#149 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Typical politically correct comment that doesn't mean much. Although Pens are sure to be after Semin and he probably would like playing with Geno.

Word is Pens are reluctant to offer anything long-term since they have Malkin to sign soon.

Wings can spend, and they can easily offer 3-4 or even 5 years. Holland should NOT be outbid on this one.

Agree on Pitts situation. They also have Kunitz, Sutter, Letang, Orpik and Niskanen to lock up the same year as Geno. I think the max offer Pitts would make Semin is 2 years, but who knows for sure?

#150 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Something tells me Kenny is not going to sign him....

Agree we'd sign him the same day Parise/Suter went to Minny if Kenny and co. were interested.

#151 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I think Khan is right. Kenny is not likely interested in him. If he were then he would have likely be signed by now. I really don't know what Kenny's plan is right now. I understand that as a GM you can't make foolish decisions and panic. I also understand that Holland is one of the best GM's in the league. However, I don't care who you are...at some point you have to s*** or get off the pot.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#152 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Agree we'd sign him the same day Parise/Suter went to Minny if Kenny and co. were interested.

I think they're interested, just not as interested as the other options. It's risky to wait and see how everything else plays out because Semin could be signed to night by Pitt, but I imagine that's what's going on.

#153 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Morrow? That would be a trade and I mentioned Morrow months ago only to get screamed at! :lol:

I would love Brendan Morrow on this team, but what would he cost s in assets? I say let Semin go to Pit...I touched on this subject before...he needs a setup man for him to reach his potential...Ovechkin and Malkin, albeit can pass the puck for sure, are more of the sniper themselves...Datsyuk, while he can certainly put the puck in the net, is more of a pass first player. If Semin wants to sign a 2 year deal somewhere in hopes of getting a bigger contract later, he best bet for stats would be here...but whatever. We already know very few payers now a days choose their teams that give the best chance to win, they chose it for money or comrades...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#154 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Anyone else get the feeling Kenny is not going to make any big moves, maybe a minor move or two.

#155 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I don't understand how Holland and company can "go out of their comfort zone" for Jordinf****** Tootoo, but don't seem to be willing to do it for a guy with Semin's talent. I realize that Tootoo is cheaper and is signed short term, and I'm really hoping it's the term and price that are holding up a deal with Semin and not some sort of b.s. concern about his character or motivation or whatever.

Get this done and sign Doan if possible and there's a real possibility that our forward corps looks like this next season:
Note: numbers indicate a conservative estimate for goals from each player.

Semin (25) - Datsyuk (20) - Franzen (25)
Filppula (15) - Zetterberg (25) - Doan (20)
Cleary (15) - Helm (5) - Samuelsson (15)
Bertuzzi (10) - Abby (5) - Miller (10)/Tootoo (5)/Eaves (10)
Brunner (?) However if Emmerton put up 6 or 7 then I don't think it's unrealistic to expect at least that much from Brunner.

Additionally, it's obvious that there are a ton of extra forwards so I anticipate a trade on defense where possible.

Edited by kipwinger, 06 July 2012 - 05:28 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#156 YougotDatsyuked

YougotDatsyuked

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

I think Khan is right. Kenny is not likely interested in him. If he were then he would have likely be signed by now. I really don't know what Kenny's plan is right now. I understand that as a GM you can't make foolish decisions and panic. I also understand that Holland is one of the best GM's in the league. However, I don't care who you are...at some point you have to s*** or get off the pot.

Well put drake!

#157 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Who exactly is Holland interested in now if he reportedly isn't in Semin? I mean they had to have other plans if they missed on Suter and Parise. Internal development with this roster maybe gets the Red Wings a playoff spot.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#158 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Anyone else get the feeling Kenny is not going to make any big moves, maybe a minor move or two.

My feeling is that we won't sign Semin nor Doan.

Ken's working on a trade for a top d-man or preparing some brainwash speech how the team's been missing Lilja :paperbag3:

#159 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Doan is a must, same can be said for Semin... I still don't understand Sammy'd signing...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#160 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm optimistically hoping this doesn't happen. However, in the dark recesses of my brain I'm preparing myself for this with extreme frustration.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."