so much for spending to the cap max jimmy d

Posted Image

#162 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have a feeling the most obvious option is to sign Doan and trade for a defenseman. Then Holland will probably call it a summer.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#163 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Pittsburgh radio reporting Pens and Semin working out a contract.

*sigh*.......Can Holland just stay home and give the job to someone else? This is truly pathetic.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#164 larionov_8

larionov_8

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, I would like to see Detroit give him some serious consideration, though it does seem unlikely to me at this point. When everyone was talking about Dats/Semin playing together before July 1st, it seemed plausible to me, but with Holland's comments re: "offense by committee" and "internal development", along with the fact that we've already signed 3 forwards upfront and have too many guys up there already.....I'm not sure that he fits into the plans.

Signing him and trading some other guys does seem like a possible solution, but I still don't see Detroit giving up someone like Franzen of Filppula to land a big D-man. And I don't think some of the other players who we might consider redundant upfront (Emmerton, Mursak) would garner much return in a trade.

I do agree with some other comments that Semin's skill alone would likely take some pressure off guys like Franzen and allow them to perform even better. But at this point it does look like Holland is hoping to get lucky with some unproven options like Nyquist and Brunner for offense in the top 6.

#165 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Kenny why must you sit and wait? It tortures me.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#166 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Cue Kenny in 5,4,3,2,1.....

We like our team. We felt the prices were too high so we didn't feel comfortable giving up more than we were prepared to. We have over 13 million in Cap space and we plan on keeping it. We plan to be aggressive at the trade deadline. We have an opportunity for growth from within our own young players. The Nyquist's, the Smith's, the Brunner's can make an impact for us this season. We believe we are still a Stanley Cup contender. There is not a whole lot separating first from last. There is so much parity. We are re-tooling on the fly as we do not deem it necessary to do a full re-build. We will explore the market and see what is out there and try to improve our hockey blub. It has to be the right fit. It has to make sense. We will not make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. It is not easy to improve your hockey club because no one wants to do us any favours.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#167 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

*sigh*.......Can Holland just stay home and give the job to someone else? This is truly pathetic.

semin is thef****** weakest player in the league, you REALLY want him? Horrible disgrace to hockey.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#168 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

semin is thef****** weakest player in the league, you REALLY want him? Horrible disgrace to hockey.

Team that can't score + guy who can score 40 goals = team that can score more.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#169 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

If this is true I'm going to throw up. Now watch as Semin puts up great numbers because of the quality play of his centermen, just like James Neal did last year.

Oh if only we had high quality centermen who could consistently improve the play of mid level wingers...oh wait...ugh.

Edited by kipwinger, 06 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#170 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Who needs Semin? We got Sammy. :blind:
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#171 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Team that can't score + guy who can score 40 goals = team that can score more.

this guy is a disgrace to hockey, sad that people will accept this for a few goals.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#172 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

this guy is a disgrace to hockey, sad that people will accept this for a few goals.

Hey, we already signed the biggest disgrace in hockey this offseason so that excuse can't fly anymore.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#173 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hey, we already signed the biggest disgrace in hockey this offseason so that excuse can't fly anymore.

what tootoo? im sure semin has much more spearing type stick fouls in his career that are worse than tootoo's head hunting. If semin had the chance to slash bob probert in the balls and run away for being mean to him he would.
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#174 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

"Tojan Man"
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#175 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

I wasn't too keen on him before but the more I think about it the more I want him. Def don't want Pittsburg to get him

#176 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think he would do well here. He did play different under Hunter. Him and Ovie became more two way
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#177 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have a feeling the most obvious option is to sign Doan and trade for a defenseman. Then Holland will probably call it a summer.

We will find out more monday when doan has stated he will review his options.

Edited by Hey man nice shot!, 06 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#178 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I am holding out and supporting Holland, but everyday I think more and more of what Wiz said last season about Holland not paying the market value...I do believe that Holland ALWAYS offers the least amount of money for any one UFA. IT's really not until he actually lands one or trades for someone when they realize that taking a discount is worth staying here...that being said, taking a discount to come here the first time very rarely happens (Hossa being exception) and we are seeing with this bit of news. If indeed Semin signs with Pit, guarantee it will be for more than what Holland offered...if anything. Holland needs to losen up the strings a bit more and stop trying to, for lack of a better term, low-ball these UFA's...

Holland should offer Semin $5M...Doan $6M....if they sign somewhere else for that amount it is because Holland low-balled them...I believe in Kenny and until all the good players are gone and we are stuck with current roster, then I will turn my opinion around...he needs to let go of Flip or Franzine and get Ryan here...he NEEDS to get Doan here...Semin wold be great, but I can live without him...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#179 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

After this weekend Doan will have been given insight to the Yotes future - if he hits the market they are moving. And the Wings have expressed interest - and yes, Doans agent did contact Holland. It theres a guy I wouldnt be averse to overpaying 500k to a mill per year for its Doan because this motherf*cker competes every shift like its his last. His presence would be great in our room and if we inked him for 3 years I'd put an A on him (Z captain, Kronner, Dats, Doan assistants).

This team goes from a fairly ho-hum group to a sure fire contender this year of we can sign Doan and Semin. Id like to sign a Kubina or Rosival to shore up or top 6 asap because Kindl IMO is never going to be better than a 7th dman. He is a weak skater and doesnt have to skill/brains/toughness to make up for it.

ps. IF the Yotes are headed to Quebec - or folding, Yandle becomes easier to acquire by us. With us handing them their asses in 2 of their last 3 playoffs I think management would feel heat from their 14 person fanbase if they gave up their star dman for less than an unreal package.

#180 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I agree....Holland should make the Ryan deal by Sunday, which will sweetin the eyes of Doan to us and help convince him to come here... As much as I would love Yandle, I don't think Holland makes two blockbusters. I think he goes for Kubina and waits to see what the arbitration comes up with for Q...

as much as I am in favor of trading Q, if his salary comes in around $3.5ish million it would be fine...

Kronwall - Kubina
White - Quincey
Smith - Ericsson
Kindl

not as pretty without Suter there, but still a pretty nice lineup...

I think Semin is out...but it won't matter with Ryan and Doan in our top 6...

Edited by LeftWinger, 06 July 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?