• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Ryan will be traded out of the west, if he is really avaiable. Yandle the same.

In reality there are no players avaiable to make us a cupcontender this year.

Doan, Semin.

#22 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Please for the love of God, do NOT get JBo ... terrible idea. Career negative in the +/- category, 6.6 mill ... are you kidding me ?? Unless you think we can somehow turn the clock back to the days when he was in Florida.

He's the prime example why you don't pay a defenceman $6.8 mill/yr.

Bouwmeester is definitely an option that I think the Red Wings should take a long hard look at. His contract will decrease his market value and far worse players than him have had their careers resurrected in Detroit.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#23 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

As much as I would like seeing both those guys on Detroit...no way should we give up Smith. He's gonna be a stud, just wait and see!!

#24 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Doan, Semin.

I agree..whether you like these two guys or not that would be a huge boost up front. Putting 70+ goals in the lineup potentially. The issue with Semin is he wants a long term deal. Not a big fan of that..2 years is even stretching it. With this guy's commitment issues he should take a year with us..tally 45 goals and then go for a pay day :) one can only hope

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#25 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

I honestly think there is zero chance we get Yandle, Ryan, or Nash via trade. When was the last time a star player was even moved in the same conference? Kenny has zero leverage right now when it comes to trying to acquiring a star player. As much as I would love to have Yandle, he is a pipe dream at this point.
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#26 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Dear Mr. Holland,

Please mortgage our future, we're panicking.

-LGW

...Seriously though, we'll have to part with enough just to get Yandle, let alone Ryan. Is the package of the two worth two of our top 6, a few depth players, cusp prospects Nyquist/Smith, and picks? Because my guess is that would be the bill to get both. I'm all for Yandle if the price is decent, but let's not worry about trading half the team for another forward until Semin and Doan are off the board.

#27 Valas19

Valas19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Please for the love of God, do NOT get JBo ... terrible idea. Career negative in the +/- category, 6.6 mill ... are you kidding me ?? Unless you think we can somehow turn the clock back to the days when he was in Florida.

He's the prime example why you don't pay a defenceman $6.8 mill/yr.

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago but now it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The Flames paid through the nose for a guy who's offensive game never came around in Calgary but he can play a ton of minutes and he does move the puck well. His contract is up after next season so we'd only be stuck with that contract for 2 seasons. I have little doubt that he would cost a whole lot less to acquire than Yandle since I believe that Calgary currently has one of the highest payrolls in the league for a team that isn't very good. I don't believe he would cost us either Smith or Nyquist while either one of those guys would go gone with a trade for Yandle.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#28 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I cannot see us making more than 1 trade this off-season... more than that would be too expensive in talent we would have to give up. I see us going after Yandle, then Semin OR Doan (but not both), so that we can hopefully have enough cap next year to make an offer to Weber or Getzlaf.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 06 July 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Bouwmeester is definitely an option that I think the Red Wings should take a long hard look at. His contract will decrease his market value and far worse players than him have had their careers resurrected in Detroit.

Agreed.

2 years left under contract at $6.6 million per season (dunno if the Wings would get stuck with the $6.68 million cap hit)...He'll cost us more against the cap when compared to Yandle - however he'll probably cost us less in terms of a trade (maybe a even swap for Franzen?).

He's not what he was in Florida, but still a solid 3rd/4th Dman nonetheless.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'm scared about what these trades (even one) could mean for our future. If we're objective, now that Smith and Nyquist are "graduating", our system of prospects is pretty bad. We have 2 or 3 solid forward prospects and a promising goaltender . After that, our system has no high-end talent. In one of these trades we'd certainly give up at least one of those few prospects.

I'm not saying that such a trade is not worth it, but we do have to be aware of our farm system. The Wings need to start drafting better in a hurry, especially if we do make a trade like that. We're pretty unlikely to be at the top of the league anymore, so we have to capitalize on our higher draft position. Of course, if we're also giving away draft picks in the trades...

Edited by Zetts, 06 July 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#31 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Ken Holland Shopping...

Attached File  hollandyandle.jpg   31.71KB   26 downloads

...LOVE this picture.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#32 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

The problem with us trading for players is that we have so few movable assets. People here are overvaluing Franzen in a trade scenario. The guy can score no doubt but he has a sizable contract with a lot of years left and is on the wrong side of 30.

Flip is a real asset as are Nyquist and Smith. I think to get a Yandle it takes 2 of the 3 and a 1st rd pick. We don't have the depth to pay that price methinks. Plus I want to see Smith next year!!!

#33 bogeygolfer

bogeygolfer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Calling Ken Holland...

Please forgive the fans who bet the bank on Parise and Suter coming to Detroit and have thus turned into pessimistic pansies(aka Cindy Crosby types) now that they have decided to sign with the almighty Minnesota Wild! It's mind boggling the lack of faith I have seen throughout Yahoo, ESPN and LGW boards in Hockeytown's most successful GM. And arguably one of pro sports best GM's of all time. If there was a class and Ken Holland was the teacher, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be sitting in the front row. I don't care if it's about how to properly roast marshmallows..the guy will show you how to make one damn good s'more! And say what you want about my inundated loyalty toward Kenny H but one thing is clear...the man knows hockey, he lives, sleeps and breathes it and he's done a damn good job of making this team competitive for the last two decades.

That being said, it's only a matter of time before he uses the big bucks from Mr. I to light up your eyes and realize this team will STILL be a contender. We all know the names still out there...Doan, Semin, and uhhh(crickets) yeah that's pretty much it. There is no top tier defenseman. There is no Brett Hull or Luc Robitaille and the best method of action at this point is, TRADE!

So I'm not going to act like I know all the salary cap lingo and what contracts match up to make these deals possible. I'll leave that up to Ken Dawg. But the rumors are everywhere. Rick Nash wants to be traded, wings show interest...Ducks will listen to offers for Ryan....Larry Murphy and Chelios say they'll suit up if the Wings need a 5th or 6th D-man etc. okay that's just ridiculous but you get the point. Don't you?

The best way to send some shock waves through the hockey nation and get the winged wheel in position for some future cup runs is by trade. And Ken to the H-town down, is going to make something happen! Get the player who IMO is an even better choice to fill the void left by the great #5. Keith "no scandle" Yandle and go get Bobby "two first name" Ryan! Send some young guys, Smith, Emmerton, a couple first rounders, cash considerations, Franzen, Filppula whatever you have to do to get them in the motor city. What you'll have is a 25 year old Ryan and a 25 year old Yandle set for the next decade. You still have Dats and Z and with a little money left over you could even sign Doan. We all know it's time to shake it up and if you can score these two then hopefully the Parise and Suter lovers will take comfort in "as close you'll get". Because that would be the next best thing to Zach and Ryan if not better in the long run. Take it or leave it.

why do people always mess with the fonts, this is too small to read

The problem with us trading for players is that we have so few movable assets. People here are overvaluing Franzen in a trade scenario. The guy can score no doubt but he has a sizable contract with a lot of years left and is on the wrong side of 30.

Flip is a real asset as are Nyquist and Smith. I think to get a Yandle it takes 2 of the 3 and a 1st rd pick. We don't have the depth to pay that price methinks. Plus I want to see Smith next year!!!

flip is also a year away from free agency, a good trade piece might be helm.

#34 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hahaha, check out the photo they just happened to use for Holland in this DFP article.

Subtle way to express current feelings of our GM?

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#35 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Trades of course take value. But what is better? a 23 year old Smith that has played 14 career games, or a 25 year old Yandle who is an AS caliber Dman? if your team has cap issues, you may wish to stick with the younger unrpoven guy. We don't have cap issues. In this case i want the proven performer. If I could a do a Smith, Emmerton, Tatar for yndle trade, it would be done so fast peoples head would spin. Yes prospects are nice. But that is all they are: propects. There are no guarantees they will ever work out. Yandle has however PROVEN he can play at a very high level and is still very young.

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Trades of course take value. But what is better? a 23 year old Smith that has played 14 career games, or a 25 year old Yandle who is an AS caliber Dman? if your team has cap issues, you may wish to stick with the younger unrpoven guy. We don't have cap issues. In this case i want the proven performer. If I could a do a Smith, Emmerton, Tatar for yndle trade, it would be done so fast peoples head would spin. Yes prospects are nice. But that is all they are: propects. There are no guarantees they will ever work out. Yandle has however PROVEN he can play at a very high level and is still very young.

Agreed.

Although I'd consider keeping Smith - try to pry away Bouwmeester for either Franzen, or Filppula, and try to ink Doan, or Semin.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#37 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

Speaking of the actual article:

As much as I wanted Suter to come to Detroit, I find it refreshing that family & quality of life is coming before career. Of course it's easy to say when $ is not the issue, but holding priorities in proper perspective are important in life.

Edited by ElCapitan, 06 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#38 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

I dont think Holland is considering deals for Smith, he is what Fischer was before he landed a full time roster spot with Detroit: Something that every GM covet but not available. Such a shame that Detroit struck out of luck with Fischer, but I'm very excited to see what Smith can bring to the table in the future.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#39 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

It is at this time that Holland will make or break his career. He has been very good at maintaining what Jimmy D gave him. The question I have for Holland is he willing to take the big risks and gambles? Not sure he is. Holland has siad many times that he would retire when Nick does. Now maybe that was in jest, or maybe he is going to step down in the next year or 2. far to often long time successful GM's-in all sports, refuse to take risks late in their careers. Why rock the boat becomes their lifestyle and bi-words. if Holland takes a further plug and patch approach I would bet on a retirement soon. To me all options should be looked at and explored. Other than the 3 guys with no trade clauses.

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Doan, Semin.

I am sorry, but these two won't make us contenders for the cup. Doan brings grit, leadership and toughness but he does not fix our biggest hole, the defense!
Yandle is a good player nothing special.
I know some do not want to see this streak coming to an end, but would you be happy with the alternative? Getting our asses handed to us by Vancouver, Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Jose? Personally I rather not make the playoffs and have a superb offseason next year <<< hello Getzlaf and Weber

Edited by frankgrimes, 06 July 2012 - 12:10 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..