• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YzermanRULES19

Dear Mr. Holland: Forget about FA, trade for Yandle and Ryan

Rate this topic

Dear Mr. Holland,

Please mortgage our future, we're panicking.

-LGW

...Seriously though, we'll have to part with enough just to get Yandle, let alone Ryan. Is the package of the two worth two of our top 6, a few depth players, cusp prospects Nyquist/Smith, and picks? Because my guess is that would be the bill to get both. I'm all for Yandle if the price is decent, but let's not worry about trading half the team for another forward until Semin and Doan are off the board.

Please for the love of God, do NOT get JBo ... terrible idea. Career negative in the +/- category, 6.6 mill ... are you kidding me ?? Unless you think we can somehow turn the clock back to the days when he was in Florida.

He's the prime example why you don't pay a defenceman $6.8 mill/yr.

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago but now it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The Flames paid through the nose for a guy who's offensive game never came around in Calgary but he can play a ton of minutes and he does move the puck well. His contract is up after next season so we'd only be stuck with that contract for 2 seasons. I have little doubt that he would cost a whole lot less to acquire than Yandle since I believe that Calgary currently has one of the highest payrolls in the league for a team that isn't very good. I don't believe he would cost us either Smith or Nyquist while either one of those guys would go gone with a trade for Yandle.

Guest RedWingsDad

I cannot see us making more than 1 trade this off-season... more than that would be too expensive in talent we would have to give up. I see us going after Yandle, then Semin OR Doan (but not both), so that we can hopefully have enough cap next year to make an offer to Weber or Getzlaf.

Edited by RedWingsDad

I'm scared about what these trades (even one) could mean for our future. If we're objective, now that Smith and Nyquist are "graduating", our system of prospects is pretty bad. We have 2 or 3 solid forward prospects and a promising goaltender . After that, our system has no high-end talent. In one of these trades we'd certainly give up at least one of those few prospects.

I'm not saying that such a trade is not worth it, but we do have to be aware of our farm system. The Wings need to start drafting better in a hurry, especially if we do make a trade like that. We're pretty unlikely to be at the top of the league anymore, so we have to capitalize on our higher draft position. Of course, if we're also giving away draft picks in the trades...

Edited by Zetts

The problem with us trading for players is that we have so few movable assets. People here are overvaluing Franzen in a trade scenario. The guy can score no doubt but he has a sizable contract with a lot of years left and is on the wrong side of 30.

Flip is a real asset as are Nyquist and Smith. I think to get a Yandle it takes 2 of the 3 and a 1st rd pick. We don't have the depth to pay that price methinks. Plus I want to see Smith next year!!!

Calling Ken Holland...

Please forgive the fans who bet the bank on Parise and Suter coming to Detroit and have thus turned into pessimistic pansies(aka Cindy Crosby types) now that they have decided to sign with the almighty Minnesota Wild! It's mind boggling the lack of faith I have seen throughout Yahoo, ESPN and LGW boards in Hockeytown's most successful GM. And arguably one of pro sports best GM's of all time. If there was a class and Ken Holland was the teacher, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be sitting in the front row. I don't care if it's about how to properly roast marshmallows..the guy will show you how to make one damn good s'more! And say what you want about my inundated loyalty toward Kenny H but one thing is clear...the man knows hockey, he lives, sleeps and breathes it and he's done a damn good job of making this team competitive for the last two decades.

That being said, it's only a matter of time before he uses the big bucks from Mr. I to light up your eyes and realize this team will STILL be a contender. We all know the names still out there...Doan, Semin, and uhhh(crickets) yeah that's pretty much it. There is no top tier defenseman. There is no Brett Hull or Luc Robitaille and the best method of action at this point is, TRADE!

So I'm not going to act like I know all the salary cap lingo and what contracts match up to make these deals possible. I'll leave that up to Ken Dawg. But the rumors are everywhere. Rick Nash wants to be traded, wings show interest...Ducks will listen to offers for Ryan....Larry Murphy and Chelios say they'll suit up if the Wings need a 5th or 6th D-man etc. okay that's just ridiculous but you get the point. Don't you?

The best way to send some shock waves through the hockey nation and get the winged wheel in position for some future cup runs is by trade. And Ken to the H-town down, is going to make something happen! Get the player who IMO is an even better choice to fill the void left by the great #5. Keith "no scandle" Yandle and go get Bobby "two first name" Ryan! Send some young guys, Smith, Emmerton, a couple first rounders, cash considerations, Franzen, Filppula whatever you have to do to get them in the motor city. What you'll have is a 25 year old Ryan and a 25 year old Yandle set for the next decade. You still have Dats and Z and with a little money left over you could even sign Doan. We all know it's time to shake it up and if you can score these two then hopefully the Parise and Suter lovers will take comfort in "as close you'll get". Because that would be the next best thing to Zach and Ryan if not better in the long run. Take it or leave it.

why do people always mess with the fonts, this is too small to read

The problem with us trading for players is that we have so few movable assets. People here are overvaluing Franzen in a trade scenario. The guy can score no doubt but he has a sizable contract with a lot of years left and is on the wrong side of 30.

Flip is a real asset as are Nyquist and Smith. I think to get a Yandle it takes 2 of the 3 and a 1st rd pick. We don't have the depth to pay that price methinks. Plus I want to see Smith next year!!!

flip is also a year away from free agency, a good trade piece might be helm.

Trades of course take value. But what is better? a 23 year old Smith that has played 14 career games, or a 25 year old Yandle who is an AS caliber Dman? if your team has cap issues, you may wish to stick with the younger unrpoven guy. We don't have cap issues. In this case i want the proven performer. If I could a do a Smith, Emmerton, Tatar for yndle trade, it would be done so fast peoples head would spin. Yes prospects are nice. But that is all they are: propects. There are no guarantees they will ever work out. Yandle has however PROVEN he can play at a very high level and is still very young.

Speaking of the actual article:

As much as I wanted Suter to come to Detroit, I find it refreshing that family & quality of life is coming before career. Of course it's easy to say when $ is not the issue, but holding priorities in proper perspective are important in life.

Edited by ElCapitan

I dont think Holland is considering deals for Smith, he is what Fischer was before he landed a full time roster spot with Detroit: Something that every GM covet but not available. Such a shame that Detroit struck out of luck with Fischer, but I'm very excited to see what Smith can bring to the table in the future.

It is at this time that Holland will make or break his career. He has been very good at maintaining what Jimmy D gave him. The question I have for Holland is he willing to take the big risks and gambles? Not sure he is. Holland has siad many times that he would retire when Nick does. Now maybe that was in jest, or maybe he is going to step down in the next year or 2. far to often long time successful GM's-in all sports, refuse to take risks late in their careers. Why rock the boat becomes their lifestyle and bi-words. if Holland takes a further plug and patch approach I would bet on a retirement soon. To me all options should be looked at and explored. Other than the 3 guys with no trade clauses.

Doan, Semin.

I am sorry, but these two won't make us contenders for the cup. Doan brings grit, leadership and toughness but he does not fix our biggest hole, the defense!

Yandle is a good player nothing special.

I know some do not want to see this streak coming to an end, but would you be happy with the alternative? Getting our asses handed to us by Vancouver, Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Jose? Personally I rather not make the playoffs and have a superb offseason next year <<< hello Getzlaf and Weber

Edited by frankgrimes

I am sorry, but these two won't make us contenders for the cup. Doan brings grit, leadership and toughness but he does not fix our biggest hole, the defense!

I know some do not want to see this streak coming to an end, but would you be happy with the alternative? Getting our asses handed to us by Vancouver, Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Jose? Personally I rather not make the playoffs and have a superb offseason next year >>> hello Getzlaf and Weber

I would agree, but for one thing: if Parise/Suter tells us anything, its that you can't control everything. We threw the kitchen sink at them and they decided to go elsewhere. We need something that we can get.

I would agree, but for one thing: if Parise/Suter tells us anything, its that you can't control everything. We threw the kitchen sink at them and they decided to go elsewhere. We need something that we can get.

That's true but Getzlaf and Weber aren't boyhood friends as far as I know.

It is a really hard offseason so far and I just don't see a real fix for us, it happens but patience is key.

Would you be happy with overpaying for at best class B players? I would be happy with one year deals, just not willing to handcuff us and lower our chances to break the bank for elite type of players, next year.

I'd love Suter and Parise as Wings but Getzlaf and Weber is a dream too, give them 14 years worth 100 million.

Edited by frankgrimes

I know some do not want to see this streak coming to an end, but would you be happy with the alternative? Getting our asses handed to us by Vancouver, Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Jose? Personally I rather not make the playoffs and have a superb offseason next year <<< hello Getzlaf and Weber

No guarantee either Getzlaf or Weber or anyone else big named ala Perry will come to us. FYI. See Zach Parise and Ryan Suter this summer. I don't like the mentality of thinking oh lets just wait till next summer cause everyone wants to come to Detroit. Times are changing friend...

You're seriously undervaluing Smith and Nyquist. Especially when you consider from watching Smith that he has potential to be better than Yandle and has the potential to be top 2 on the Wings with Kronner. Nyquist had all 7 of his points in the first 13 games when he was playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines, then Franzen's lazy arse came back and he was relegated to the 4th line playing with Homer and Emmerton.....good luck getting points on that misfit line. He was .53 PPG playing on lines 2-3. Over 82 games, that's 43 points. If he's on lines 1-2 all year, then he'll likely produce more than that getting over 50 points easy so long as Babcock doesn't misuse him again. Smith was at .5 PPG when he was up with 7 points in 14 games. If he's in the top 4, which we expect he will be, he's got the potential to get 50 points. that is the reason guys like Smith and Nyquist have the tagline "Top Prospects" at their respective positions. And the only way you trade a guy like Flip, who had a career year at 66 points, 16 more than Hudler, is if Jarnkrok is ready to step up, which he is a year away from. Yandle is a great dman, comparable to Duncan Keith, but to say that 2 out of 3 of those guys would be needed to get him, i'd give 1 of them and maybe the 1st rounder. The only trade i would actually make to get Yandle from the Yotes is Franzen and Tatar straight up. If they want a pick with that, max 2nd rounder.

No guarantee either Getzlaf or Weber or anyone else big named ala Perry will come to us. FYI. See Zach Parise and Ryan Suter this summer. I don't like the mentality of thinking oh lets just wait till next summer cause everyone wants to come to Detroit. Times are changing friend...

Fine, what is your solution for our defense? Are you willing to get rid off our most promising prospects? I am not.

GM's aren't dumb otherwise they would not have that job. Opponents now know exactly, how bad we need defensive help, meaning the asking prices are going up not down.

Don't make the mistake and assume I am happy with potentially missing the playoffs, I am just realistic and thinking longterm.

This is the problem. ^ Waiting until next year is a crap shoot, and what Holland does this year can either free him to get a top tier FA next year or handcuff him. There's not a simple solution.

Fine, what is your solution for our defense? Are you willing to get rid off our most promising prospects? I am not.

GM's aren't dumb otherwise they would not have that job. Opponents now know exactly, how bad we need defensive help, meaning the asking prices are going up not down.

Don't make the mistake and assume I am happy with potentially missing the playoffs, I am just realistic and thinking longterm.

That's fair. I don't see an easy fix to our defense. We might have to suck it up this season. If we could somehow overload on offense by "signings" that would be great and a have a shakey defense ok I could live with that but I know most fans would disagree. The truth is there is no easy fix since we were rejected by Suter. Everyone was so set in stone about Suter (I wasn't and I didn't think Suter is that good) but I have faith in Holland to do something. And to surprise everyone I think it won't happen till the end of summer now with July 1st and all the hype passed now. Yet I don't have the slightest clue what Holland's going to do tbh whether trade for a top D-man or whatever it is. He might do nothing. But with the money we have to spend IDK.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

It is at this time that Holland will make or break his career. He has been very good at maintaining what Jimmy D gave him. The question I have for Holland is he willing to take the big risks and gambles? Not sure he is. Holland has siad many times that he would retire when Nick does. Now maybe that was in jest, or maybe he is going to step down in the next year or 2. far to often long time successful GM's-in all sports, refuse to take risks late in their careers. Why rock tI he boat becomes their lifestyle and bi-words. if Holland takes a further plug and patch approach I would bet on a retirement soon. To me all options should be looked at and explored. Other than the 3 guys with no trade clauses.

I think Holland has shown time and time again that he is not. It has been all about adding without subtracting with Holland for the last decade. That might have been a winning strategy for many years, but with no risk, comes no reward. I think life after Lidstrom will demand a change of strategy.

I think Holland has shown time and time again that he is not. It has been all about adding without subtracting with Holland for the last decade. That might have been a winning strategy for many years, but with no risk, comes no reward. I think life after Lidstrom will demand a change of strategy.

Yes, agree....he has to cut loose Franzine or Filppula and make a splash...btw, I don't think I have seen you post on here for years!

a trade for Ryan a trade for Yandle and sign Doan... that would be a nice roster to move forward with! If he is a UFA next year, I am sure Holland will heavily pursue Weber, hopefully with a better outcome, but I am sure centcougar will have the inside scoop on that one...when the time comes...

I feel the most important thing to do is trade for Bobby Ryan...why? Not only will he be great here (as he is in ANA) but next season BOTH Getzlaf and Perry are UFA's...would they be butt buddies like Parise/Suter and want to go somewhere together? If Bobby Ryan were here, it could give Detroit a bit of an advantage in that...even if just one joined him here...

Odds are Quincey will get signed (blah) unless he is awarded a God awful contract...Trade for Ryan, Sign Doan... accept Q's contract if it is low enough and go from there...next season...try to score Weber (as will the rest of the NHL) and then try to get Perry or Getzlaf...

I cannot stress enough how important getting Bobby Ryan has on the future of this franchise...Filppula will get a $5M contract next July, Ryan is signed for two more after this at $5.1M...next year, Ryan at $5.1M is far more valuable than Fil at $5M. I love Filppula, but have problem giving him up in a package to get Ryan...as long as it doesn't cost Smith...get the deal done!

edit: Also if Holland wants to keep Kindl at #7, he could sign Kubina...

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)

Shane Doan ($5.750m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Pavel Kubina ($3.000m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.550m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,383,712; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,816,288

I am actually ok with this roster...I have obviously traded Filppula, Cleary, Mursak and Emmerton all in various fashions...I am not saying that is the package to get Ryan by no means. But Filppula, Mursak, Tatar, pick should do it. Then Cleary could just be traded for a 3rd round pick and Emmerton can be traded as well for a pick. For the record, I'd much rather trade Franzine, but Anaheim would take Filppula or sure...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Hatethedrake!

The main stumbling block in any potemtial trade is the fact any team Kenny talks to will want Smith as part of the deal. Kenny can't afford to subract from his blue line. Which is why he is finding it so hard to make an impact trade right now.