Photo
- - - - -

What happens if the new CBA lowers the Cap?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I kinda figured that the cap will not be lowered simply because that would lead to yet another strike. But like many of you mentioned if the Cap is lowered just imagine the players out there at that point. MInnesota for example would have to let go of a guy like Heatly and we was one of the reasons Parise and Suter signed there in the first place. Could be an interesting summer to say the least.

I saw number of people suggest that if CBA lowers the cap then some teams would have to cup players to get under it. Are there any sources that support this even as a possibility? It has been mentioned that owners are looking to lowers the percentage of league revenues, which goes to players. This would cause cap to be lower. But it is much more likely that existing contracts would rolled back by some percentage just like the last time.

And getting players to agree to reduce their share would be a hard sell in the first place.

Edited by Pskov Wings Fan, 08 July 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#22 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

The correct answer is that any ramifications from the new CBA will be dealt with in the new CBA, so no one really knows at this point. If I were to guess, I'd assume the cap will be unimpacted inititially and the structure will just move from their based on how they structure the new deal. That said, it is entirely possible that they agree to move the 57% down to 54% or 52% or 50% of league revenues for players. They could take that downward movement and lower the cap proportionately and also then lower all existing contracts down proportionately as well.

I'm pretty confident in saying that the new CBA should not cause teams to have to get rid of any existing players.

#23 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

This. And it's definitely something I could see happening.

It's why players like Suter wanted so much as a signing bonus the first year. Because that can't be reduced under any new CBA salary reduction.

See, Now this all makes sense. Perhaps Ken Holland is smarter than we are all giving him credit for.