• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Found this article really interesting thought about posting it.

In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.
This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $200-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $200-million if a total loss of $200-million is assumed on the NHL's investment in the Coyotes.

(Suddenly, Columbus Blue Jackets fans have visions of Mike Smith or Oliver Ekman-Larsson dancing through their heads.)
Shoalts is right with Quebec City. I don't believe the NHL wants to relocate to Quebec. I believe they want to expand there, and collect the type of expansion fees they did not when they have to hastily move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.

Here's the link to the whole story itself.

Edited by KrazyGangsta, 06 July 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

I would be more in favor of this plan than relocating or expanding. Could help address our D issue for free as well lol

Edited by Wings_Toledo, 06 July 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Wow... That would be nuts, first a dispersion draft, then an expansion draft... crazy

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

i dont know how this would help the wings im sure it would be like a crosby lottery and bettman would rig it , he really is a piece of work anything for more money

#5 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

I would be more in favor of this plan than relocating or expanding. Could help address our D issue for free as well lol

Could be an easier, cheaper way to try and acquire Yandle...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Finally at home, able to use my notebook.

Would that really help us? I mean, Yandle with the option of not losing picks for one year would be nice, but like someone said this would just be another rigged draf, if Jamison still doesn't have the money then will have no choice and relocate in a more hockeycrazy city I guess. I mean, playing with 29 teams means one conference will have less games, maybe promote an AHL club?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#7 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Could be an easier, cheaper way to try and acquire Yandle...

Trade Flip in a package for Yandle. Yotes fold. Sign Flip as a FA! :tounge:

#8 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

we'd pick so late we wouldn't get anyone we even want

#9 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

The draft order would be something like this:

1. OEL
2. Yandle
3. Smith
4. Vrbatta

Detroit would probably have pick 20 or so.

#10 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

If you think Yandle would be there when Detroit would draft, you are nutty! Of course I am sure teams would have to draft accordingly to their cap space...

If this is indeed an option that the NHL is thinking then Detroit better get Doan signed and trade for Yandle NOW! When it was our turn to pick a Coyote, one of our traded assets may return here for free then... Not that I would want Franzine back....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#11 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

I just don't see that happening (folding).. Quebec wants a team, might be a good fit.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I just don't see that happening (folding).. Quebec wants a team, might be a good fit.

Yep. There's virtually no chance that the Coyotes will fold. If Phoenix finally becomes untenable, then the Coyotes would probably simply be moved to QC.

#13 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Having 29 teams in a league is a pain. I think Bettman would move it to Canada (as much as he does not like to do that) before he would allow it to fold.

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

If you think Yandle would be there when Detroit would draft, you are nutty! Of course I am sure teams would have to draft accordingly to their cap space...

If this is indeed an option that the NHL is thinking then Detroit better get Doan signed and trade for Yandle NOW! When it was our turn to pick a Coyote, one of our traded assets may return here for free then... Not that I would want Franzine back....

I don't think it'll happen. These days leaders in politics and business don't get that creative. They go for the easiest route that's been done before, which would be relocation. And I'm not even sure if the league is waking up to that idea yet. But Doan did say he was waiting to figure out what was going to happen to the Coyotes and would make a decision on or around Monday.

So could we have an idea what's happening to the Coyotes on Monday?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

This is quite the situation, as the NHL does stand to make much more money if they let the Yotes fold, and then grant an expansion to QC, Seattle, or whoever else for a #30 replacement team.

However, I don't think Bettman would. Letting a team fold hurts the reputation of the entire league, and they've already lost millions upon millions through this debacle...if the good people of Glendale choose to vote against the current Coyotes plan (and all signs say they will), then I can see a very quick move to QC, like we saw the Thrashers move very quickly to Winnipeg. Unfortunately...it will be after the season starts. What a mess.

So could we have an idea what's happening to the Coyotes on Monday?

I think Doan was waiting for the ballot signatures to be handed in. They got over double the required amount of signatures. There is a certification process which takes a week or so, and then it will be on the general ballot for Glendale residents in November. So, I don't know what else he could be waiting for.

Edited by evilmrt, 07 July 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Yep. There's virtually no chance that the Coyotes will fold. If Phoenix finally becomes untenable, then the Coyotes would probably simply be moved to QC.

Personally that's what I hope takes place.

I'd feel for the fans in Quebec City if they got their usual run of the mill expansion team (read no playoff chance for the first 4, or 5 years)...The good people up there have been patient, a new arena is underway, and with the road trips across the USA/Canada there's the obvious support for a team...IMHO they deserve a team that's got a decent chance of playing well into spring.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Wow... That would be nuts, first a dispersion draft, then an expansion draft... crazy

Yea crazy, it sounds like a big waste of time to me. This move screams that the League is in bad financial trouble, despite what dictator Bettman trys to tell us.

However, I don't think Bettman would. Letting a team fold hurts the reputation of the entire league, and they've already lost millions upon millions through this debacle...if the good people of Glendale choose to vote against the current Coyotes plan (and all signs say they will), then I can see a very quick move to QC, like we saw the Thrashers move very quickly to Winnipeg. Unfortunately...it will be after the season starts. What a mess.

No no, according to Bettman everything is fine. There's a number of investors lining up to buy the team and keep them in Phoenix.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

I didn't say it would land us Yandle, but I'm sure there would be a D-man available in there somewhere. Also, would the league necessarily go by the 2012 Entry Draft order or just do a random drawing for all 29 remaining teams? The latter would be more fair as Edmonton would just automatically get the best player again.

Either way, I agree with the other posters that the league won't allow the Coyotes to fold. Bettman is all about expansion and he'll try to save face as much as possible with this situation. Still, it would be nice to see the league contract a bit.

#19 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

Not to mention of course that if they relocate to QC it would be a straight, easy swap between them and Winnipeg conference-wise. Just seems to be the best situation

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#20 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

The big problem this poses as a fan for every other team in the NHL is that when the expansion is made, how many players are you allowed to put off limits to the team entering the league? I don't want to see one of our young guys or a good depth player getting snagged on the expansion draft.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.