• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Phoenix Coyotes "Folding" an Option?

Rate this topic

Found this article really interesting thought about posting it.

In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.

This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $200-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $200-million if a total loss of $200-million is assumed on the NHL's investment in the Coyotes.

(Suddenly, Columbus Blue Jackets fans have visions of Mike Smith or Oliver Ekman-Larsson dancing through their heads.)

Shoalts is right with Quebec City. I don't believe the NHL wants to relocate to Quebec. I believe they want to expand there, and collect the type of expansion fees they did not when they have to hastily move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.

Here's the link to the whole story itself.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

Finally at home, able to use my notebook.

Would that really help us? I mean, Yandle with the option of not losing picks for one year would be nice, but like someone said this would just be another rigged draf, if Jamison still doesn't have the money then will have no choice and relocate in a more hockeycrazy city I guess. I mean, playing with 29 teams means one conference will have less games, maybe promote an AHL club?

I would be more in favor of this plan than relocating or expanding. Could help address our D issue for free as well lol

If you think Yandle would be there when Detroit would draft, you are nutty! Of course I am sure teams would have to draft accordingly to their cap space...

If this is indeed an option that the NHL is thinking then Detroit better get Doan signed and trade for Yandle NOW! When it was our turn to pick a Coyote, one of our traded assets may return here for free then... Not that I would want Franzine back....

Guest Crymson

I just don't see that happening (folding).. Quebec wants a team, might be a good fit.

Yep. There's virtually no chance that the Coyotes will fold. If Phoenix finally becomes untenable, then the Coyotes would probably simply be moved to QC.

If you think Yandle would be there when Detroit would draft, you are nutty! Of course I am sure teams would have to draft accordingly to their cap space...

If this is indeed an option that the NHL is thinking then Detroit better get Doan signed and trade for Yandle NOW! When it was our turn to pick a Coyote, one of our traded assets may return here for free then... Not that I would want Franzine back....

I don't think it'll happen. These days leaders in politics and business don't get that creative. They go for the easiest route that's been done before, which would be relocation. And I'm not even sure if the league is waking up to that idea yet. But Doan did say he was waiting to figure out what was going to happen to the Coyotes and would make a decision on or around Monday.

So could we have an idea what's happening to the Coyotes on Monday?

This is quite the situation, as the NHL does stand to make much more money if they let the Yotes fold, and then grant an expansion to QC, Seattle, or whoever else for a #30 replacement team.

However, I don't think Bettman would. Letting a team fold hurts the reputation of the entire league, and they've already lost millions upon millions through this debacle...if the good people of Glendale choose to vote against the current Coyotes plan (and all signs say they will), then I can see a very quick move to QC, like we saw the Thrashers move very quickly to Winnipeg. Unfortunately...it will be after the season starts. What a mess.

So could we have an idea what's happening to the Coyotes on Monday?

I think Doan was waiting for the ballot signatures to be handed in. They got over double the required amount of signatures. There is a certification process which takes a week or so, and then it will be on the general ballot for Glendale residents in November. So, I don't know what else he could be waiting for.

Edited by evilmrt

Wow... That would be nuts, first a dispersion draft, then an expansion draft... crazy

Yea crazy, it sounds like a big waste of time to me. This move screams that the League is in bad financial trouble, despite what dictator Bettman trys to tell us.

However, I don't think Bettman would. Letting a team fold hurts the reputation of the entire league, and they've already lost millions upon millions through this debacle...if the good people of Glendale choose to vote against the current Coyotes plan (and all signs say they will), then I can see a very quick move to QC, like we saw the Thrashers move very quickly to Winnipeg. Unfortunately...it will be after the season starts. What a mess.

No no, according to Bettman everything is fine. There's a number of investors lining up to buy the team and keep them in Phoenix.

I didn't say it would land us Yandle, but I'm sure there would be a D-man available in there somewhere. Also, would the league necessarily go by the 2012 Entry Draft order or just do a random drawing for all 29 remaining teams? The latter would be more fair as Edmonton would just automatically get the best player again.

Either way, I agree with the other posters that the league won't allow the Coyotes to fold. Bettman is all about expansion and he'll try to save face as much as possible with this situation. Still, it would be nice to see the league contract a bit.

The big problem this poses as a fan for every other team in the NHL is that when the expansion is made, how many players are you allowed to put off limits to the team entering the league? I don't want to see one of our young guys or a good depth player getting snagged on the expansion draft.