• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Buck Wild?

Rate this topic

After all the lauding and back slapping the fans, organization, and sports media have given the Wild since the Parise Suter acquisions I started to sit down and really think about how dangerous these moves really made them. Certainly all the reactionaries around the hockey world have already penciled them as one of the top teams in the west. But anymore, being a top team doesn't cut it, you have to be elite, and in my opinion...elite they aren't.

Obviously building a roster is an evolutionary thing, and I'm certainly not claiming to know much about their prospects and young talent, but for what it's worth I can think of at least 5 teams in the West scarier than the Wild. San Jose and Chicago are better up front than Minny with as good or better defenses, but with worse goaltending. Vancouver and Los Angeles are better in every regard. St. Louis has a better defense and goaltending, but doesn't have the offensive punch. As for Nashville and Detroit...well, let's just wait and see on those.

So here's my question, is anybody else not afraid of the big bad wolf?

Elite or not, as it stands, they have a much stronger roster than us and I'm willing to guarantee that they finish ahead of us in the standings next season.

I'll take that bet. They were last in the league in "goals for". So, unless Zach Parise scores 40 goals and 100 pts. (which he's never done in his career), they haven't really improved that much. Suter helps the defense, which was middle of the road at best.

They have one good defenseman (and one or two borderline ones). Their goalie is middle of the road. These days, that could be good or bad. And their offense looks good on paper but wound up scoring the least in the league last year. They added Parise but I don't see one player transforming their lackluster offense. Specifically, they will have one very good (on paper) top line, a decent second line, and nothing under that.

They might make playoffs, but won't make any noise if they get in. Maybe 5 years from now they might have a one and done hot season, but no. They're just a middle of the road team.

They needed Suter as much as we did. Their D is not exactly notable.

That said, I have high hopes for them.

I was talking to a Wild fan yesterday, and he was telling me that on July 4th once the news got out, they had to call in extra people to man the phones for season ticket sales.

Will they be a top team? Not without better D. Will they make the playoffs? I think so.

I really feel this is gonna completely reenergize their team. I see them going into the playoffs either a 5th or 6th seed. All we've gotten is older and weaker with no intentions to change it.

Quote me on it though, Wild will top the Wings next year.

I live in Minnesota and all my sports friends are like OMG TIM TOLD YOU THE WILD WOULD GET PARISE AND SUTER. s***. In regards to them they are a better team and should contend for a playoff spot. We'll see. I don't think you can take this next season and determine their success on one season. Hard to look 3-4 years from now but that's when things might make them an elite team. We'll see but huge buzz here in the state of Hockey no doubt.

They needed Suter as much as we did. Their D is not exactly notable.

That said, I have high hopes for them.

I was talking to a Wild fan yesterday, and he was telling me that on July 4th once the news got out, they had to call in extra people to man the phones for season ticket sales.

Will they be a top team? Not without better D. Will they make the playoffs? I think so.

And that's another thing. Holland needs to understand the press and excitement that come with signing new players. He's given us NOTHING to be excited about.

I can't wait to see next season's Red Wings commercial.

"The 2012 Detroit Red Wings.......we got Tootoo!!!".

They're not even gonna make the playoffs. The only way they finish ahead of us is if we have one s***ty ass year.

With the current defense that we have right now it sure looks like it. Holland needs to do something before the season starts.

And that's another thing. Holland needs to understand the press and excitement that come with signing new players. He's given us NOTHING to be excited about.

Here's the thing, though...

Our excitement as fans has zero impact on the team's performance.

They're not even gonna make the playoffs. The only way they finish ahead of us is if we have one s***ty ass year.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is entirely unlikely. I'm with everyone else that the Wild probably aren't a true contender still, but the Red Wings certainly aren't either and are going in the opposite direction.

The Red Wings had defensive breakdowns galore with Nick Lidstrom and Brad Stuart around. The offense got completely shut down in the playoffs. I'm just not buying at all this internal development plan Holland is selling.

Here's the thing, though...

Our excitement as fans has zero impact on the team's performance.

When we tank and 50% of the seats at the Joe are empty, I'd say I disagree.

Guest Crymson

Elite or not, as it stands, they have a much stronger roster than us and I'm willing to guarantee that they finish ahead of us in the standings next season.

How much will you donate to a charity of the community's choice if you're wrong?

When we tank and 50% of the seats at the Joe are empty, I'd say I disagree.

Exactly. How does fan excitement not play a role at all? Is anyone truly stoked to buy tickets for the Red Wings right now? I will still attend, but there is going to be minimal buzz around the team if they go into the season with this group.

Edited by GoWings1905

With the current defense that we have right now it sure looks like it. Holland needs to do something before the season starts.

Sure we have a weak D on paper as it stands. But they might just pleasantly surprise us. Look at 2007-08 and 2008-09:

07-08 we had 257GF and 184GA, won SC.

08-09 we had 295GF and 244GA, lost in SCF.

The point is that in 09 we had Lidstrom and Stuart, and some of the other guys we have now but our D still sucked. And we still almost won the cup (BS imo).

The Wild got better,no doubt,but let's see first how they are able to handle the pressure of "must make the playoffs" situation.

In this parity NHL,there's no such a guarantee of anything anymore,lol

We've learned our lesson with Bobby Lang,Schneider and Hossa

Bare in mind, we as wing fans are sof****** arrogant and 'entitled' anything short of a Hossa-Esqe signing and the excitement needle wont even quiver.

Guest Hatethedrake!

The Wings are still better than the Wild. We're getting worse mind you but we're still better than they are.

Sure we have a weak D on paper as it stands. But they might just pleasantly surprise us. Look at 2007-08 and 2008-09:

07-08 we had 257GF and 184GA, won SC.

08-09 we had 295GF and 244GA, lost in SCF.

The point is that in 09 we had Lidstrom and Stuart, and some of the other guys we have now but our D still sucked. And we still almost won the cup (BS imo).

We also had a better Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen then. The best third line in hockey by far as well. Plus a guy named Marian Hossa.

This offense, well... Sammy is back at least. The luxury of not playing defense won't work like it did in the 2009 regular season.

Exactly. How does fan excitement not play a role at all? Is anyone truly stoked to buy tickets for the Red Wings right now? I will still attend, but there is going to be minimal buzz around the team if they go into the season with this group.

After 21 straight years of winning, you would think the fans would have a little more faith than this.

How much will you donate to a charity of the community's choice if you're wrong?

$50 sounds fair. Question is, how much will you donate if I'm right?

Edited by ShanahanMan

I respectfully disagree. Suter and Parise make them better on paper, but I still think they will place 7 or 8 tops. I can see the Wings making 4-6 seed.

Edited by Jericho613

After 21 straight years of winning, you would think the fans would have a little more faith than this.

Faith in what? I still love the team, but they won one playoff game and got noticeably worse since then.

You (not you directly; the front office more) cannot rely on the past success of the team to continue forward just because of their amazing run. Let's be honest -- the Red Wings have been a stale group since 2009 now and with three early playoff exits, fans need a new reason to feel excited beyond everything the organization has done for two decades.