• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I agree with everything you said except that we have tons of cap space with nothing to do with it. That cap space will come in very handy when the right deal is available (we may have to wait till next summer) for someone that suits our needs more precisely and worth his contract

He only has two years left... We could obtain him and still have more than enough to make a move next year, but he would help us this year... I also think he would thrive here and probably grow into that contact here, he's been on horrible teams that don't fit his style, and I think we'd all be very pleasantly surprised by him here...

With all that said, I still don't think this is a route we should go, I just wouldn't mind it if we did

Edited by stevkrause, 11 July 2012 - 08:46 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

He only has two years left... We could obtain him and still have more than enough to make a move next year, but he would help us this year... I also think he would thrive here and probably grow into that contact here, he's been on horrible teams that don't fit his style, and I think we'd all be very pleasantly surprised by him here...

With all that said, I still don't think this is a route we should go, I just wouldn't mind it if we did

He makes twice as much as Kronwall and is half as good, I agree that it would be best to give Smith and Kindl lots of time so they can develop and to get a better evaluation of them

#23 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

I would personally like to see us get a guy like Rozsival... he might cost a little more, but he is a right handed shot who has shown offensive ability in the past (on better teams) and I see him fitting our system well. He could step in and man the point on either powerplay unit. Maybe someone can give me a little clarification, but does he play with a big of an edge too? I wasn't sure about that part of his game, but he does have good size.

If not him, I would like for us to take a chance on Cam Barker.... he's only 26 and has a ton of potential, when if nurtured properly, could pay dividends.

In the end though, I'd be happy with Vandermeer and letting the kids get a chance.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

My only concern is that Vandermeer would become Commodore part deux.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have a tuff as nails physical presence in front of our net - however If the skillset isn't there - will Vandermeer be a regular in the line up?

This is where Rozsival might be a better option when you look at the style the Wings play.

I would personally like to see us get a guy like Rozsival... he might cost a little more, but he is a right handed shot who has shown offensive ability in the past (on better teams) and I see him fitting our system well. He could step in and man the point on either powerplay unit. Maybe someone can give me a little clarification, but does he play with a big of an edge too? I wasn't sure about that part of his game, but he does have good size.

If not him, I would like for us to take a chance on Cam Barker.... he's only 26 and has a ton of potential, when if nurtured properly, could pay dividends.

In the end though, I'd be happy with Vandermeer and letting the kids get a chance.

Cam Barker might be worth a shot.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I definitely don't hate either of those options...

I worry about Barker's consistency, whereas you'd know what you are getting with Vandermeer or Jurcina and Rozsival's best days seem to be behind him and he can't seem to stay healthy, so I'd be a little weary of him, but when healthy, he'd be a decent addition... like I said, I don't hate either of those options, I'd just prefer Vandermeer or Jurcina...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

I never heard of this Jurcina - so I looked him up...

ASSETS: Owns a huge frame and the ability to play an all-around game from time to time. Also possesses a big shot from the point. Takes up a lot of space in the defensive zone. Posted Image

FLAWS: Doesn't play with a lot of passion and rarely takes full advantage of his tremendous size. His skating and coordination are also weaknesses in his game. Posted Image

CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent big defenseman.

Hmm...He was an Islander though :lol:

Edited by F.Michael, 11 July 2012 - 09:34 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Rozsival, Vandermeer, and Barker should come before Jurcina...

#28 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on barker as he is still only 26. The other player I wouldn't mind, and maybe prefer to Barker (if we're going with the yonger type UFA d-man) is Marc-Andre Gragnani. His AHL numbers are awesome and he has barely had a shake in the NHL yet.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#29 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I wouldnt mind taking a flyer on barker as he is still only 26. The other player I wouldn't mind, and maybe prefer to Barker (if we're going with the yonger type UFA d-man) is Marc-Andre Gragnani. His AHL numbers are awesome and he has barely had a shake in the NHL yet.

Yeah that's a good point. Just looked at the kid and he seems to be a pretty solid d-man that just needs a chance. I would be willing to give him or Barker a shot, but we're more likely to go with a veteran at this point. Maybe we'll go for 2 and trade Kindl in a package for a forward or something... We'll see.

#30 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well Gragnani is off the market... Carolina just signed him to a 1 year 2 way.... Cam Barker it is!

#31 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Well Gragnani is off the market... Carolina just signed him to a 1 year 2 way.... Cam Barker it is!

If we're gonna go reclamation project, who still has upside and age on their side, might as well give Matt Gilroy a shot... I'd actually prefer him over Barker, RH shot too...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#32 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

MASSIVE NO! to Cam Barker ... this guy does not take his trade of being a professional hockey player nearly serious enough to be a Red Wing. He peaked at 21 and is just going through the motions right now. I'm not going to throw the kid under the bus and say anything that can hurt his repuation but I will say he is not a student of the game and his dedication to the sport off the ice are nowhere near what Id expect out of a Red Wing. end/

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

MASSIVE NO! to Cam Barker ... this guy does not take his trade of being a professional hockey player nearly serious enough to be a Red Wing. He peaked at 21 and is just going through the motions right now. I'm not going to throw the kid under the bus and say anything that can hurt his repuation but I will say he is not a student of the game and his dedication to the sport off the ice are nowhere near what Id expect out of a Red Wing. end/

I wouldn't hate it if we signed Barker as the 7th dman and let him compete in camp for the 6 spot, but for all the reasons you stated, he isn't my first choice... the more I think about Gilroy, the more I like that idea if we're going to go the reclamation route... I still think a steady, stay at home guy (preferably with some snarl) like Vandermeer would be ideal, but there's quite a few options I wouldn't be opposed to...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here