• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Def trade on the horizon

Rate this topic

with the amount of forwards we have signed (17 with Abby) and possably 18 if we sign another UFA.

Kenny must be stocking up for a trade, its the only thing that makes sense of having all these fwds.

I think only Andersson & Brunner can be sent down safely. So that leaves us with 15/16, now which

team has a log jam on D and short of forward talent?

Buffalo, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay all have 9 D signed. Just a thought as to which teams may be

looking at trading a D. Not sure who would be in need of help up front of these 3 teams, maybe the

Sabres woukld be the lightest up front.

Is Cam Barker an UFA or RFA? he could be a reclaim project on the D. Former 3rd overall pick who

has struggled since leaving the Blackhawks, Renney's old team as well. While he's there pick up the

lad Alex Plante, huge young D, would complement Smith down the line.

In my opinion we don't need a reclaimation project on defense unless we completely overload on offense to compensate for the potentially weak D. Otherwise, I think it's a smart move to trade for an established, top two, defenseman and then sign the available forwards to help. This is why the Sameulsson no trade clause doesn't make sense to me. If they were planning on 1) allowing the young guys to take a larger role or 2) trading the acquired assets for a high end piece, then giving Sammy an NTC doesn't make sense. I really think that one of Sammy, Cleary, or Bert is still going to be in the top six, in which case our top six is still going to lack the kind of depth that it has consistently lacked for three years. I'm drunk right now, so I'm willing to admit that my exasperation is in full tilt, but I still see the same problems that have existed for a few years in the forward corps, and now we have a weaker defense to boot. Unless other moves are made, and legitimate game changing ones at that, I have no reason to believe that our team has improved one iota, in spite of all this money we've been saving.

Years ago I was in the army, and one of the valuable lessons I learned while there was that any action is better than inaction. If you do something and it's a mistake, then you learn from it and move on. If you do something and it works, then you learn from the success and duplicate. The worst thing that you can do is nothing, in which case you neither learn from your failures, nor your successes, and you're stuck treading water, constantly waiting for some outside force to come along and show you the right path. That outside factor will never show up. Do something, or else stagnate. I hope to god that Ken Holland and the rest of the top brass understand that same lesson.

Edited by kipwinger

I can see holland going for hedman from Tampa. It's not gonna be Yandle because that would make too much sense. Holland will trade for a defense men I just wish he would throw on bertuzzi, Cleary and Emmerton just cause they're dead weight and making our team worse just by having to be in the lineup instead of our prospects Tatar, Nyquist, and Mursak. Then during injuries we could even see our younger prospects instead of bringing up players that should be playing anyways. Our prospects could learn a lot playing on a line with helm without being depended on scoring each night

I can see holland going for hedman from Tampa. It's not gonna be Yandle because that would make too much sense. Holland will trade for a defense men I just wish he would throw on bertuzzi, Cleary and Emmerton just cause they're dead weight and making our team worse just by having to be in the lineup instead of our prospects Tatar, Nyquist, and Mursak. Then during injuries we could even see our younger prospects instead of bringing up players that should be playing anyways. Our prospects could learn a lot playing on a line with helm without being depended on scoring each night

Tampa will not move Hedman anytime soon. Too big of a investment to give up already.

Can we get some people on record calling Cleary dead weight, so when he bounces back and has another 20 goal year, you can all eat crow? The guy is a warrior who gives it his all night in and night out and was still one of our best forwards come playoff time DESPITE playing on knees that were basically held together by twine and bubble gum... He had successful surgery and will come back with a bang this year, mark my words, and you can even bookmark this post.

Edited by stevkrause

Can we get some people on record calling Cleary dead weight, so when he bounces back and has another 20 goal year, you can all eat crow? The guy is a warrior who gives it his all night in and night out and was still one of our best forwards come playoff time DESPITE playing on knees that were basically held together by twine and bubble gum... He had successful surgery and will come back with a bang this year, mark my words, and you can even bookmark this post.

Not that I don't agree with you but I changed my sig =) hehe

The more I think about it, the more I think holland will pick up a complimentary Dman, not a true #1. Which is alright, our team has potential. This is probably gonna piss a lot of people but I see why Holland would do this. Don't build a half ass contender just because you have money.

I can live with that as long as we get two more forwards (releasing via waivers or trading our spare part Miller, Emmerton). Semin and Doan. Or Doan and Morrow.

I don't think he's dead weight, but I will go on record as saying that I would prefer him on the third line, where he's a mismatch against almost any team in the league.

I don't think he's dead weight, but I will go on record as saying that I would prefer him on the third line, where he's a mismatch against almost any team in the league.

Agreed completely... I don't think he's best suited for top 6 duty and thrives best in a 3rd line and some PP role...

Edited by stevkrause

The two most likely D available in trade are (1) Yandle and (2) Bouwmeester... Yandle is a legitimate top-pairing D and has a reasonable cap hit of $5.25MM. He might also help land Doan if he makes himself available. Boughmeester is around $6.8 and might be considered a top-pairing D, but is at least a top-4.

There's a good chance that Kindl would be involved in either trade (I'm assuming there's no way they'd include Smith)... leaving the need to add at least 1 veteran D (maybe a right-hander like Jurcina? Kubina? Rozsival?).

A trade for Yandle or Bouwmeester would also likely include a forward, or two, reducing the logjam upfront. Lots of interesting possibilities.

Your right on the money about cleary. I've been to many games and he's always hustling he never stops skating. It's hard to give up on guys like that.

Hopefully a Big Trade is on the Horizon for the Wings, they need a big shake-up and some Defensemen. The worst part for me is playing the waiting game and not hearing anything sice the bad news of Sammy Resigning so I'm really hoping to hear some good news soon.

THIS