• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DesertWing

Wings hire Lidstrom as overseas amateur scout

Rate this topic

It sounds like he'll be following up on draftees.

According to Google translate, anyway:

Legend of the big interview about the future, money and lavish building a house

Nicklas Lidstrom has landed back in Västerås.

Sportbladet got the chance to talk money, VM, house building and the future with him and one thing is already clear.

The recently retired NHL star will continue to work for the Detroit Red Wings.

- I will keep track of Swedish players who have been draftade of the club and then also be a sounding board when it comes to the game and the team, he says.

For three weeks past Nicklas Lidstrom and the family settled back in Västerås again. It took 18 baggage to get the key from the United States. Lidas long hockey career is over but then he came to Sweden, the pace is not calm down.

- It's good to be home again, but these weeks have been hectic. Many people who want to pull me in different directions and in addition, we are building houses, he says.

Do you regret that you put off with hockey?

- No, I do not, at least not yet but maybe it will. I get to look forward to hockey again when autumn approaching, but it feels good with the decision I took.

How do you feel in your body now that you are not exercising the same amount?

- It is creeping in me, but I've trained a little bit both running and gym and it's nice not having to push themselves to the max. Starts to receive so you can calm it down.

What will you occupy your time?

- I will work for the Red Wings. The idea is that I should shop around and look at some players that the club has draftat here in Sweden. It becomes a form of talent scouting but I will also go back to the States a few times a year and meet sponsors. Once down there, I will also attend the various events around the team. Also, I will follow Detroit near the club wants me to know what is happening and be able to come up with the view of the game.

"Rated ten offers"

Has the Ice Hockey Federation has contacted you regarding the World Cup 2013?

- I've talked to fastest with Christer Englund who is president. He called me shortly after I took the decision to quit. I do not know what they have in mind but we will be heard after the holidays and then we will see what they say.

Can you imagine a role as general manager?

- I do not think they've thought that I should take over from Garpenlöv and I do not think that I am interested in either. At least not right now, it's too close since I quit. Now I want to land in Sweden and not just jump on things too quickly.

How many offers have you received since you put in?

- I think I got ten of them and it is both in Vasteras and Stockholm. There are some TV stuff and also from companies.

Expert commentator in hockey?

- Do as I said some things to think about.

How do you for a job for a sports channel?

- Hard to say. I've never tried so I do not know if I'm made for it or are good at it. But it's probably no problem being in front of the cameras. The hard part is to get the message. Would probably be able to see and recognize things but to convey them is another matter. Then it's about what I want and what suits me.

Who do you think will take over the captain's role in Detroit?

- There are a couple of different options, but clearly that Zetterberg has been assisting long and would probably fit very well. He has grown into the role of leaders in the right way. Even Niklas Kronwall has taken a giant step off the ice as a leader last season, both are good guys. A player who Valtteri Filppula could work as an assistant.

What do you value the absolute highest in his career?

- I can not distinguish between an Olympic gold medal and to win the Stanley Cup. I rank them both equally.

What will you miss most from hockey?

- It's competition rounds. Stepping onto the ice for the packed stands when there is only one minute left of the match and it really comes to something. The rush can not get anywhere else.

"Stay very well"

How do you spend your money?

- I have always loved cars and had a nice sports car. Right now I own a Bentley a few years now but has also had other brands. Then I also bought a larger boat as the family likes to be at sea and take a trip to Stockholm at times. They are the ones I've treated myself but otherwise it's no special lyxsaker so. We do not buy just because we have money, it is needed.

How is the house you are building then?

- We have always dreamed of building a house just like we want it and yes, we will live very well. It will include a pool and a wine cellar. The wine cellar, we have a bar with a slightly different game, just as we've had in the U.S..

What do you do with the house in the U.S.?

- We are selling it right now so we will go back in late summer at some point depending on how fast we get it sold. In our home we had 18 luggage but still managed not to empty the house as several furniture that we want is still standing.

What is your relationship with money?

- I think that we live normally even though we have money. Certainly, money is a security, we do not work if we do not want, but you do not become happier because they have money.

How spoiled is your four children?

- We try not to spoil them. Sure, they own an Iphone and such but they can also assist you and do some chores at home. We consider them to be able to do things that other children do, and also my wife and I did as youngsters.

What have you missed during your career?

- I was there when my children were born. It was a year when I was in Denver, as my wife called in the evening and said she had begun to have sensations. Then I started to panic but reached home. But otherwise, so that it can not be there all the time. Sure, I try to help with homework and shunting but you still miss some theater in school or any hockey tournament at the weekend, where other parents are but I could not.

Edited by 55fan

We'll have McKee and Bodin in a few years...no worries about big and strong hitters...

Of course LIdstrom is gonna work for the Wings over there, did anyone expect anything else? You know what I want? Someone in Russia finding the next Fedorov/Datsyuk...

side note: without bumping it, I am sure glad the Suter/Parise threads are dropping off the first page....looking forward to the Kronwalling!

Guest The Axe

The Swedish love affair needs to end. The Kings used how many "slick/clever/mobile" euros last season? Oh yah. None.

The Swedish love affair needs to end. The Kings used how many "slick/clever/mobile" euros last season? Oh yah. None.

Yea it's not like we won the cup in 2008 with a bunch of Swedes or anything. Oh yea and I guess Kopitar was born in that other Slovenia that isn't located in Europe.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but in the past five drafts Detroit's limited their Swedish drafting. They've bumped up the number of Canadians and Czech/Slovaks selected. From 2008-2012 drafts...

Canadians: 15

Czech/Slovaks: 7

Swedes: 6

Americans: 5

Finns: 1

Russians: 1

This! We need to copy the LA model and the cup will be handed to us.

Edited by Jocke

Why, is Kopitar coming to Detroit?

What's funny is that Kopitar and Franzen are the exact same size. 6'3" 225 lbs.

But if you watch them play you'd think Kopitar was a few inches and 70 lbs bigger than mule. Kopi is so strong in the corners and impossible to move off the puck.

I guess that's not really funny at all, just sad.

What's funny is that Kopitar and Franzen are the exact same size. 6'3" 225 lbs.

But if you watch them play you'd think Kopitar was a few inches and 70 lbs bigger than mule. Kopi is so strong in the corners and impossible to move off the puck.

I guess that's not really funny at all, just sad.

That's because the Kings have big, gritty players on the roster, who toughen him up. We don't.

I always say Downey, Drake, McCarty and Lilja toughened our soft Euros up as the season went on in 2008.

Who do we have now that can stir the pot on the 4th line? I guess we just added Tootoo, so that should help. But I still think we need more in that department. Then Holland comes out and spends 3 million on Samuelsson of all people.

That's because the Kings have big, gritty players on the roster, who toughen him up. We don't.

I always say Downey, Drake, McCarty and Lilja toughened our soft Euros up as the season went on in 2008.

Who do we have now that can stir the pot on the 4th line? I guess we just added Tootoo, so that should help. But I still think we need more in that department. Then Holland comes out and spends 3 million on Samuelsson of all people.

I disagree.

Kopitar is tough all on his own. It's not like he's going to be out there fighting guys (though he did fight Burrows this year when Burrows went after him) but I think he'd play that way on any team. He plays like Z if Z were Franzen's size.