• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

The Swedish love affair needs to end. The Kings used how many "slick/clever/mobile" euros last season? Oh yah. None.

This! We need to copy the LA model and the cup will be handed to us.

Edited by Jocke, 08 July 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Yea it's not like we won the cup in 2008 with a bunch of Swedes or anything. Oh yea and I guess Kopitar was born in that other Slovenia that isn't located in Europe.

Why, is Kopitar coming to Detroit?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Why, is Kopitar coming to Detroit?

What's funny is that Kopitar and Franzen are the exact same size. 6'3" 225 lbs.

But if you watch them play you'd think Kopitar was a few inches and 70 lbs bigger than mule. Kopi is so strong in the corners and impossible to move off the puck.

I guess that's not really funny at all, just sad.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

What's funny is that Kopitar and Franzen are the exact same size. 6'3" 225 lbs.

But if you watch them play you'd think Kopitar was a few inches and 70 lbs bigger than mule. Kopi is so strong in the corners and impossible to move off the puck.

I guess that's not really funny at all, just sad.

That's because the Kings have big, gritty players on the roster, who toughen him up. We don't.

I always say Downey, Drake, McCarty and Lilja toughened our soft Euros up as the season went on in 2008.

Who do we have now that can stir the pot on the 4th line? I guess we just added Tootoo, so that should help. But I still think we need more in that department. Then Holland comes out and spends 3 million on Samuelsson of all people.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

That's because the Kings have big, gritty players on the roster, who toughen him up. We don't.

I always say Downey, Drake, McCarty and Lilja toughened our soft Euros up as the season went on in 2008.

Who do we have now that can stir the pot on the 4th line? I guess we just added Tootoo, so that should help. But I still think we need more in that department. Then Holland comes out and spends 3 million on Samuelsson of all people.

I disagree.

Kopitar is tough all on his own. It's not like he's going to be out there fighting guys (though he did fight Burrows this year when Burrows went after him) but I think he'd play that way on any team. He plays like Z if Z were Franzen's size.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

I disagree.

Kopitar is tough all on his own. It's not like he's going to be out there fighting guys (though he did fight Burrows this year when Burrows went after him) but I think he'd play that way on any team. He plays like Z if Z were Franzen's size.

I'm not talking about fighting. I'm talking about playing gritty and battling for pucks in corners. I think it's easier to do that when your teammates play a similar style, especially on the bottom lines. They set the tone for the game and you follow their example.

Our 4th line last year was a joke and didn't set the tempo for any kind of physical or gritty style. Hence, I don't think Kopitar would play like he did in LA for our team.

#27 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Jesusberg, good point. I want to see them get tougher.

#28 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

While I am all for adding toughness (wanted Big Scott), this thread is about the perfect human having a job in the organization.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

And everybody is happy about that already, obviously.

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

It's too bad the position of #1 defenseman isn't a work-from-home type job. He could live there and play here.

His offensive talents were greatly needed. I never thought I'd wish he was more of a stay-at-home defenseman.

#31 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sounds like a "charity job" like they seem to be giving out upon retirement recently. I love Lids as much as anyone but really how much scouting is he really going to do. He was smart on the ice but does he have an eye for young talent? I would much rather have seem him in some sort of coaching role.

#32 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Id rather he play the last month and playoffs of every season for 5 more years.

#33 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like a "charity job" like they seem to be giving out upon retirement recently. I love Lids as much as anyone but really how much scouting is he really going to do. He was smart on the ice but does he have an eye for young talent? I would much rather have seem him in some sort of coaching role.

Not easy to coach from Sweden.

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

LOL ZOMG I went on nhl.com and saw lids pic and "back in the fold" and thought he was back for a sec until reading the scouting stuff I already knew.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#35 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Come back, Nick.

If you love him, you'll let him go. :tounge:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#36 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

LOL ZOMG I went on nhl.com and saw lids pic and "back in the fold" and thought he was back for a sec until reading the scouting stuff I already knew.

Yes, that was a brutal trick.

#37 YzermanRULES19

YzermanRULES19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm sure some of you have seen this before but this is absolutely hilarious! Gosh, we're gonna miss #5...

#38 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

OMG, NHL.COM headline reads "Back in the fold" with a picture of Lids; I thought for SURE he was returning as a player on a 1 year deal.... only to read "...as a scout"

My heart literally skipped a beat when I thought he was going to return since our D is screwed in the ass.

bringit.jpg

#39 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Best signing this summer yet.

#40 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Larionov: Lidstrom 'set the example' for rest of NHL
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.