• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Great Mitch Albom article on the wings

Rate this topic

That was great? Sounds like just another thread around here.

esteef

Actually, if its around here, it sounds like the opposite of that Mitch Albom story. I guess we have started our decline and lost our luster according to the fans here. Only one fan has posted a positive story, everything else is gloom and doom.

n retrospect, it may turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to the Red Wings. Sure, they need a replacement for defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, perhaps the greatest player to ever take his position. Suter was the best available option. But he is not Nicklas Lidstrom. He has never been a second-team NHL all-star nor a Norris Trophy finalist for best defenseman in the NHL. His plus-minus ratio is minus-4 in 39 career playoff games, and he was a minus player in last spring’s playoffs, too.

And the Red Wings offered $90 million for him? They are fortunate he turned them down, getting $98 million instead from the Minnesota Wild, who paid a similar amount for Parise.

Depending on which source you believe, Lidstrom ranks with Jaromir Jagr for having earned the most money in his NHL career — approximately $100 million. Most of Lidstrom’s career was played before the hard salary cap the NHL deploys was put in place. He played 20 years, never on a team that missed the playoffs — and won four Stanley Cup championships. He was a first-team All Star 10 times. He won the Norris Trophy seven times.

Even last season, even in his 40s, Lidstrom was considerably better player than Suter until he took a shot off his ankle which greatly hindered his play.Honestly, two Ryan Suter’s don’t equal one Nicklas Lidstrom.

Parise didn’t lead the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals. He had eight goals, 15 points and was minus-eight in 24 playoff games — hardly the stuff of Wayne Gretzky.

Here’s a simple question: All things equal, including salary for the coming season, would you trade Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall for Suter and Parise? I wouldn’t — even before salary considerations. Datsyuk ($6.7 million) and Kronwall ($3.9 million) are making less combined for this season (a reported $10.6 million) than Parise and Suter are each ($12 million apiece). Parise and Suter are younger, but that won’t be true deep in the future. Thirteen years? What a ridiculous length for their contracts.

So, how’s this?

PG Marsh
‏@wizofozblog

There’s too much fear about heading into the season with Kronwall and White as our top two. WAKE UP, they’d both be top 2 on half the league

Is he far from the truth? Not only that, but Smith might fall into that category by next season’s end, too.

AND a nice little article: http://www.freep.com/article/20120708/COL01/207080601/Mitch-Albom-With-Ryan-Suter-on-Red-Wings-or-not-Detroit-is-still-Hockeytown

Discuss!

The offseason isn't even over. Did the Wings miss out on the top two free agents this year? Yes, but it wasn't for lack of trying. Suter was between the Wild and the Wings and chose the Wild for reasons the Wings couldn't provide. Were Holland and Illitch supposed to kidnap Suter at gunpoint and force him to sign with the Wings?

I'll be worried if this is the team that the Wings take into training camp.

Guest The Axe

Wings are three moves away. Holland has til Feb to make them. After that, he should be canned.

Here’s a simple question: All things equal, including salary for the coming season, would you trade Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall for Suter and Parise? I wouldn’t — even before salary considerations. Datsyuk ($6.7 million) and Kronwall ($3.9 million) are making less combined for this season (a reported $10.6 million) than Parise and Suter are each ($12 million apiece). Parise and Suter are younger, but that won’t be true deep in the future. Thirteen years? What a ridiculous length for their contracts.

wow,that's what I call a BS comparison,lol

1.suter and parise were UFA's

2.doesn't make sense to trade #1 forward and #1 d-man(atm) just to get another two

3.we did offered ridiculous 12 year contract(s) as well

wow,that's what I call a BS comparison,lol

1.suter and parise were UFA's

2.doesn't make sense to trade #1 forward and #1 d-man(atm) just to get another two

3.we did offered ridiculous 12 year contract(s) as well

i think you missed the fact that this was hypothetical lol.

what hes trying to say, i think, is that suter and parise are overpaid to the nines and we are getting great bang for our buck here in detroit.

i think you missed the fact that this was hypothetical lol.

what hes trying to say, i think, is that suter and parise are overpaid to the nines and we are getting great bang for our buck here in detroit.

I know that was hypothetical stuff to calm the fans down,lol,but still kinda weak example

Players don't sign because they don't like Mr. Babcock's toughness as a coach?

I don't think that Babcock's toughness is a problem. Wasn't Scotty just as hard on his players and look at the talent we got on the 2002 championship team.

Honestly, I'm glad we didn't get Suter or Parise but am afraid that, by the time the trade deadline comes, we'll be too far back in the division and conference to make it to the playoffs for a 23rd straight year.

In 3 to 5 years, Cliff Fletcher will be out and the Wild will be stuck with overpaid and underperforming players.

Edited by WingTipMikey

As for whispers that Mike Babcock might be scaring away players because of his tough reputation, Holland said, "I've heard that. There's no doubt Mike pushes the players. But that's part of why we're successful. Mike is one of the most respected coaches in the business. I don't believe anybody makes a decision not to come to Detroit on account of him. The fact is, in contracts this long, you may play for three or four coaches anyhow."

I don't know if there is any truth the rumor that players may stay away because they think Babcock is too tough, but even if that's the case, who would really want those players?

A pro athlete who doesn't want to play with a coach like Babcock because he's not nice enough? Babs record speaks for itself.

I don't know if there is any truth the rumor that players may stay away because they think Babcock is too tough, but even if that's the case, who would really want those players?

That's true,even Babs admits it,therefore he wanted Renney here to be more friendly with the players.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/red_wings_summer_development_camp_day_2_afternoon_session_working_out_and_t/

scroll down,there's 10 minutes interview