• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Holland waiting for the CBA?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Lebrun: "Detroit has another avenue: wait it out until the new collective bargaining agreement is signed, sealed and delivered. Several teams I’ve spoken with over the past few weeks believe there will be bargains to be had on good players come September, October or November -- whenever there’s a new CBA -- because some overspending teams will have miscalculated and will need to get rid of players to get under the new cap. At least a half-dozen teams I know of are waiting for this. Detroit could benefit from that as well."

http://espn.go.com/b...s-and-rick-nash

there will be bargains to be had on good players come September, October or November

I really hope this is true. I thought that if the cap decreases, so too will everyone's contract. So teams that are right at the cap will still be right at the new cap, the player salaries will just be lower (same percentage of the cap though). Would this not be the case?

The cap isnt going down. This is stupid talk.

I agree, and I think what'll happen is the entire system is going to get changed. We may see some changes to the floor, and more of a luxury tax system.

Fehr and the players have a lot against the current system that Bettman and the owners can't defend. Plus With NBC now showing games, I can't see how they would have liked the playoffs. After the 1st round the TV numbers were crap, and a 6 vs 8 seeded final should never happen, ever!! NBC will probably tell the NHL they need to give some sort of an advantage to the big markets so they can get higher ratings and make more money on advertising space, or else they won't renew their TV deal.

NBC will probably tell the NHL they need to give some sort of an advantage to the big markets so they can get higher ratings and make more money on advertising space, or else they won't renew their TV deal.

So your thinking NBC will force the NHL to give a competitive edge to big markets just for ratings. If this happens I lose all faith in the NHL. Might as well determine the champs in September. Turn the NHL into wrestling, a sports soap opera, instead of competition. The big markets read have an advantage in that they are a big market and bring in more money than small markets.

If the cap goes down teams that are over will have to get under the cap. Which means overpaid guys like suter,parise will be out the door unless they rework their contracts to be cap friendly. Much like the NFL players. Players are asked to rework their contracts to help there teAm get under the salary cap and if they decline they get cut. The NHL is going that same route with a new Cba with a projected lower salary cap.

I've actually had the thought that Holland might be waiting for the new CBA before signing, but he wouldn't have gone after the Minnie Twins if that were the case. Whether or not the cap is adjusted, the fact that the players know that they can get these kind of contracts has done the most damage. I don't really want to see a dollar amount on what a player can make but the term should be limited to somewhere around 7 years.

If the cap goes down teams that are over will have to get under the cap. Which means overpaid guys like suter,parise will be out the door unless they rework their contracts to be cap friendly. Much like the NFL players. Players are asked to rework their contracts to help there teAm get under the salary cap and if they decline they get cut. The NHL is going that same route with a new Cba with a projected lower salary cap.

Attempt to do this would most certainly lead to standoff between NHL and NHLPA. So they would either start season under old CBA or not start it at all. I do not believe that players would accept another pay cut.

I'm sorry, but you'll need to point me to where he said "We're satisfied with our current roster and won't be making any further moves." I haven't seen that.

"There's a small list of players out there and a lot of teams in the market," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're happy that we got the guys that we did on July 1."

That day, when unrestricted free agency began, has been the highlight of the summer for the Red Wings.

They signed goaltender Jonas Gustavsson, and forwards Mikael Samuelsson, Jordin Tootoo and Damien Brunner.

"We like our team, we like who we have," Holland said. "We'll continue to look over the market, make our (phone) calls, and continue to try and get better."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120706/SPORTS0103/207060341#ixzz207bnWxfO

"There's a small list of players out there and a lot of teams in the market," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're happy that we got the guys that we did on July 1."

That day, when unrestricted free agency began, has been the highlight of the summer for the Red Wings.

They signed goaltender Jonas Gustavsson, and forwards Mikael Samuelsson, Jordin Tootoo and Damien Brunner.

"We like our team, we like who we have," Holland said. "We'll continue to look over the market, make our (phone) calls, and continue to try and get better."

Definitely disappointing to read something like this come out of Holland's mouth. It sounds like every other year. However, its not like he's going to publicly come out and be like "WE NEED TO MAKE SOME MOVES!!!". That kind of destroys his ability to make deals.

It seems like he's always waiting for something.

Last offseason it was, oh we have a little bit of money so we'll wait for the trade deadline.

Trade deadline comes, oh nothing was available we'll wait for the offseason.

This offseason comes, strikes out on (potentially) three big name FA's (suter, parise, semin?)

Oh well we'll wait for a new CBA.

Why must we land such huge names? I don't understand this mentality. Is it cause of the big names we used to get in free agency when there was no cap? Is it because Lidstrom is gone now?

Really, the only thing we actually need is a decent defenseman and we'll be fine. It's not like we lost EVERYTHING when Lidstrom retired. We will get someone, will it be a Suter type? Probably not, but that doesn't mean we won't make the playoffs or something worse. I think we all need to take a chill pill and just wait and see how things go. Perhaps he is waiting, maybe Holland wants to see if this team can do something without the big name. If they can't, maybe he pulls the trigger during the season in a trade.

Pure speculation at this point. However, I think we need to calm down and remember that we have one of the premiere GM's and that he will do what is best for the team and the owner. More importantly, the fans.

Are you suggesting the new CBA will allow contracts to be reworked? Because they can't be under the current CBA. And under the current CBA, Suter and Parise could be "out the door" but the cost to the Wild would be huge -- around $66M each, cap hit of about $3.75M/year spread over 26 years. So I don't see any of what you are suggesting actually happening.

Guest Hatethedrake!

The thing is that when you direct your entire game plan into signing 1 or 2 UFAs that nothing is guaranteed. I think most Wings fans, myself included, thought that just because the Wings had the need and the Cap space that signing Suter and Parise was all but given. We heard all the rumours throughout the season and we all waited anxiously for July 1st to come. When we did not get either Suter or Parise, we were all left disappointed. We all thought Kenny would have a Plan B in place and as of right now we don't really know what that is. It looks to me like the plan is to basically go with what we have and hope for the best and possibly add players this summer or during the season and at the trade deadline.

The problem with this is that every other team in the league is trying to do the same thing. The players we are interested in are also being pursued by the same teams like Pitt, Philly, Rangers, Sharks, Hawks, etc. Just to name a few. Kenny seems to operate under the SAVE IT FOR A RAINY DAY PLAN.

You can't keep waiting for tomorrow to solve your problems. If teams go over the Cap in the new CBA then they will not let go of their quality players. They will trim the fat by losing their crappy ones. Kenny is supposed to sign these guys? LOL Yeah right. I mean it's a nice theory but inaccurate. Lets face it. Kenny has few options right now. He is not willing subtract anything of real value. So why would teams make a trade with him? They are not going to take our crap like Emmerton, Kindl or Mursak and give him franchise players. Kenny is not really willing to give to get so nothing of significance is going to happen. If I were a GM I would not make a trade with Kenny either. How am I improving my team? He won't give me anything. I will simply call up another GM who is and make a trade with him.

Why must we land such huge names? I don't understand this mentality. Is it cause of the big names we used to get in free agency when there was no cap? Is it because Lidstrom is gone now?

Really, the only thing we actually need is a decent defenseman and we'll be fine. It's not like we lost EVERYTHING when Lidstrom retired. We will get someone, will it be a Suter type? Probably not, but that doesn't mean we won't make the playoffs or something worse. I think we all need to take a chill pill and just wait and see how things go. Perhaps he is waiting, maybe Holland wants to see if this team can do something without the big name. If they can't, maybe he pulls the trigger during the season in a trade.

Pure speculation at this point. However, I think we need to calm down and remember that we have one of the premiere GM's and that he will do what is best for the team and the owner. More importantly, the fans.

Holland also mentioned before that it's time to let a few of the kids play. and with every other GM in the league blowing their wad over guys this year, next summer Kenny will be able to offer the UFA's what they're actually worth with the other GM's unable to match offers to guys like Weber, Getzlaf and so on. We may be pleasantly surprised this year with guys like Brunner, Nyquist and Smith and then strenghen the team further next summer with a fairly large pick up. I'm on board with the idea of getting a grunt shutdown shot blocking dman like Vandermeer and calling it for the offseason unless another GM approaches Holland with a "fair" offer that doesn't include Filppula, Smith, Nyquist and a 1st rounder for Nash or Ryan....which is a gross overpayment for either guy.

Are you suggesting the new CBA will allow contracts to be reworked? Because they can't be under the current CBA. And under the current CBA, Suter and Parise could be "out the door" but the cost to the Wild would be huge -- around $66M each, cap hit of about $3.75M/year spread over 26 years. So I don't see any of what you are suggesting actually happening.

More likely, there might be some kind of one-time amnesty buyout period, where teams can buyout players without the years of cap hit penalties. We saw the same thing happen when the current CBA was ratified.

It seems like he's always waiting for something.

Last offseason it was, oh we have a little bit of money so we'll wait for the trade deadline.

Trade deadline comes, oh nothing was available we'll wait for the offseason.

This offseason comes, strikes out on (potentially) three big name FA's (suter, parise, semin?)

Oh well we'll wait for a new CBA.

Exactly, cause it sounds better than "I didn't get a damn thing I wanted and now we're just going with what we already had. Hope they can all step up." And it's already happening again with all this talk of waiting for Weber and others being available, just like we heard coming into this UFA period with Suter. It's all in the spin. Next time folks! Next time.

esteef

Edited by esteef