• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

Doan staying in PHX 4 yrs $21.2 mill

Rate this topic

My point is that the Wings will have to overpay for someone of Doan's caliber. It's just a fact of how things are in the league now. You think Ericsson's contract won't drive up the price of our D-men when they become FAs? In my opinion, it would help this team to have Doan for a few years, overpayment or not.

He's 35 almost 36, and if he is given a multi year contract, there is the 35+ rule, so given the good chance that he decides to retire in the next few years the Wings are saddled with his cap hit for the rest of the contract. On top of that if he isn't worth 5-5.5 million this year what about for the rest of the life of the contract? So not only is he overpaid this year, he gets more and more overpaid every subsequent year. No thanks, rather not have a 3rd line winger making 5 million and on the downside of his career.

He's 35 almost 36, and if he is given a multi year contract, there is the 35+ rule, so given the good chance that he decides to retire in the next few years the Wings are saddled with his cap hit for the rest of the contract. On top of that if he isn't worth 5-5.5 million this year what about for the rest of the life of the contract? So not only is he overpaid this year, he gets more and more overpaid every subsequent year. No thanks, rather not have a 3rd line winger making 5 million and on the downside of his career.

I get what your saying. With signing older players there is risk. I would offer him a three year contract at 5m per. I would rather that then Semin at 5m per because at least with Doan you know what your getting. Short contracts for each of these players is the only way to sign them.

I get what your saying. With signing older players there is risk. I would offer him a three year contract at 5m per. I would rather that then Semin at 5m per because at least with Doan you know what your getting. Short contracts for each of these players is the only way to sign them.

If Doan wants to win, he should accept a one year deal. If the Wings want to play the 'well at least we didn't overpay' card, they don't sign Doan.

While I definetly believe he is the type of player the Wings want. It just pains me to see the Wings going after older talent. No disrespect to Shane Doan he's a tremendous player and would most likely fit in well here in Detroit and I'd love to see the Wings give him a Cup. I just don't see why we don't start looking more towards younger players even if our younger players aren't ready to take the leap there is still some good young talent out there that I'd love to see what they could do with the Wings. I'm not going to name a bunch of names but there's some out there that would be pretty cool to see in a Wings jersey and see if they could adapt to our style of play and can make the Wings successful. Otherwise I really don't have much of a problem with Shane Doan coming to Detroit.

Despite all of the pessimists on this forum, the Wings are still considered to be one of about 8-10 teams that COULD win the Cup. Just like LA was in that group last year. If Doan wants to win, he will go to one of those teams. Now if people think that another team has a better chance then they have very short memories. 3 months ago all the experts were betting on Pittsburgh, Nashville, Vancouver, etc. We all know how that turned out.

All that said, my bet is that Doan stays in Phoenix. If he wanted to leave, he already would have. But then, almost nobody thought that Suter and Parise would both go to a team that finished 14 points out of the playoff last year.

Here is the offseason of choice after being one of the snubbed teams by Mary Kate and Ashley:

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

Trade, waive or do whatever to make rosters spots for these three and let's rock!

I really do wish Holland had the balls to trade Filpulla for Ryan and also trade Franzine for someone else of value! But I'd be happy with just the Ryan trade and the above three UFA signings...

Here is the offseason of choice after being one of the snubbed teams by Mary Kate and Ashley:

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

Trade, waive or do whatever to make rosters spots for these three and let's rock!

I really do wish Holland had the balls to trade Filpulla for Ryan and also trade Franzine for someone else of value! But I'd be happy with just the Ryan trade and the above three UFA signings...

Golden :lol:

Guest Johnz96

Shane Doan

Peter Mueller

Pavel Kubina

I think an in depth testicular examination should be made when hiring future GMs

If they were functioning properly he should have had Semin by now

Edited by Johnz96

I have to believe at this point unless kenny is willing to go out and get his top 2 dman he needs(which will be at a high cost) that our team won't look like a team doan would be willing to gamble on before he makes his decision. Ether way i am looking forward to what the next months bring and i will have to practice patience.

Edited by Hey man nice shot!

Wasn't today the day (MON, 7/9) that Doan was supposed to start entertaining offers?

Yes, and his agent has opened up the bidding... He still may stay in Phoenix. Sounds like it may drag out, possibly.

Hopefully what Khan says about his agent contacting us several times prior to now means that Doan is seriously considering us as his destination after Phoenix... Makes sense since we beat down on Phx consistently in the playoffs and Doan has lived with that, why not go to that team that you could never beat in the playoffs?

I hope he comes here and finishes out his career. He'll look good on Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's wing.

Ok, we have to remain calm. Most of us got over excited about Schultz....Parise....Suter....none of those guys could be swayed enough to cut family ties...Let's just hope Doan chooses us over LA or San Jose (or any other contender for that matter.)

I am so used to being snubbed by now that I am almost expecting it and if/when it is annouced that Shane will be a Red Wing, I just may scream with excitement. Almost like waiting to exhale....tick...tick...tick...tick...argh! :nervous::unsure:

Ok, we have to remain calm. Most of us got over excited about Schultz....Parise....Suter....none of those guys could be swayed enough to cut family ties...Let's just hope Doan chooses us over LA or San Jose (or any other contender for that matter.)

I am so used to being snubbed by now that I am almost expecting it and if/when it is annouced that Shane will be a Red Wing, I just may scream with excitement. Almost like waiting to exhale....tick...tick...tick...tick...argh! :nervous::unsure:

Pittsburgh, LA, NYR, Philly. There will be an insane bidding war over Doan IF he choses to leave Phoenix. Holland will not get caught up in this.

The only way Doan comes to Detroit is if he wants to come here above all other destinations and accepts a reasonable contract. Just can't see it.

There. Now you can be really surprised when the Wings sign him.

Guest RedWingsDad

Trade for Yandle to entice Doan. Franzen + Cleary + prospect (too weak an offer?) for Yandle... sign Doan = WIN! I think it would be a shame to give up Flip for Yandle... even it we end up signing Doan.

I guess it could work the other way around... sign Doan, leaving the Yotes' (presumably) with a power forward slot to fill... enter Franzen + whatever for Yandle. WIN

FTR... I know many don't consider Franzen to be a true power forward and I would agree, but at least he would be a big body to replace Doan on the Yotes' lineup... and with better point production to boot.

i dont think any team in the nhl is going to trade holland any dman that betters his team cheap. yandle is a stud and is only going to get better.

would have to imagine the yotes would want quite a package for him especially since they know they have us by the balls and the situation were in.

franzen im thinking would be A START for the yotes to start listening but does a team in their financial situation even want a contract like that? they would probably really want smith coming back which is something that we obviously cant afford to do AND NO KINDL WONT ENTICE THEM! since we dont have any other decent dmen prospects they would probably turn to nyquist.

think from their perspective for just a second... what would you want for your "nick lidstrom"? a lot...

franzen + smith --for--- yandle

franzen + nyquist (maybe even +) ---for--- yandle

is probably what its going to take which would be too rich for my blood.

what i would do, however and i think we could afford to do but they probably wouldnt bite would be....

franzen+mursak/tatar even add a pick ---for---- yandle which they decline

dont think we can afford to give what it would take.... especially since they know the situation were in and are going to try to rake us over the coals and get as much as they possibly can from a somewhat desperate team.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/07/shane_doan_interested_in_red_w.html

Sounds encouraging, if things don't work out in Phoenix. Sure, he's older, but I think he's exactly the type of player this team needs, and can serve as a stop-gap between now and in a couple of years when some of our young studs are ready (Jurco, Pulkkinen, etc).

i dont think any team in the nhl is going to trade holland any dman that betters his team cheap. yandle is a stud and is only going to get better.

would have to imagine the yotes would want quite a package for him especially since they know they have us by the balls and the situation were in.

franzen im thinking would be A START for the yotes to start listening but does a team in their financial situation even want a contract like that? they would probably really want smith coming back which is something that we obviously cant afford to do AND NO KINDL WONT ENTICE THEM! since we dont have any other decent dmen prospects they would probably turn to nyquist.

think from their perspective for just a second... what would you want for your "nick lidstrom"? a lot...

franzen + smith --for--- yandle

franzen + nyquist (maybe even +) ---for--- yandle

is probably what its going to take which would be too rich for my blood.

what i would do, however and i think we could afford to do but they probably wouldnt bite would be....

franzen+mursak/tatar even add a pick ---for---- yandle which they decline

dont think we can afford to give what it would take.... especially since they know the situation were in and are going to try to rake us over the coals and get as much as they possibly can from a somewhat desperate team.

I think Smith will be just as good, if not better than Yandle in a couple seasons. We'll see.