• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

Doan staying in PHX 4 yrs $21.2 mill

Rate this topic

The Wings were looking to make a deal for 3 years between 4.5 and 5 million a season.

He has an offer from an Eastern Conference team for 4 years at 7.5 a season.

At that price I'd pass too

They were very right to pass, but I've been saying it for a while now. Doan will either go to Phoenix (not Detroit), the highest bidder (not Detroit), and/or a team with a legitimate chance at a cup in the next season or two (not Detroit). So why have we been waiting for three weeks?

Yandle or Ryan, while likely trading away way too many assets? "Dream until the dream is gone" 2012!

Edited by b.shanafan14

Looks like Doan is not coming to Detroit. Wings will not overpay him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with everyone on the sentiment that I wouldn't want to give a 35 year old forward that kind of term/cash.

BUT, when we're talking about the Wings not overpaying.....lets not forget, Holland did just give a Nashville scrub twice what Drew Miller makes with half the return. $1.9 million in healthy scratches? good god.....

Edited by unsaddleddonald

They were very right to pass, but I've been saying it for a while now. Doan will either go to Phoenix (not Detroit), the highest bidder (not Detroit), and/or a team with a legitimate chance at a cup in the next season or two (not Detroit). So why have we been waiting for three weeks?

Yandle or Ryan, while likely trading away way too many assets? "Dream until the dream is gone" 2012!

Did LA have a legitament chance at the Cup this year? Almost everybody that knows anything about hockey would say no. They had the lowest scoring team in the league and barely squeaked into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

All of this doom and gloom stuff is stupid. There are 7 teams in the west that will not make the playoffs. Most likely they are:

Aneheim

Dallas

Columbus

Clagary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Colorado

Phoenix (maybe)

Nashville (maybe)

For us to NOT make the playoffs, we have to be worse than 2 of these teams. I just don't see it

Guest The Axe

We have potential to be worse than minnesota, colorado, edmonton, nashville, dallas, and phoenix. I will concede columbus, calgary, and anaheim. With Parise and Suter, we would have been light years ahead of these teams.

Did LA have a legitament chance at the Cup this year? Almost everybody that knows anything about hockey would say no. They had the lowest scoring team in the league and barely squeaked into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

At the beginning of the season plenty of people had the Kings in the playoff, winning their division, and some had them making it to the conference and even Cup finals. They were a team that underachieved all season, but aren't really comparable to where the Wings are at.

All of this doom and gloom stuff is stupid. There are 7 teams in the west that will not make the playoffs. Most likely they are:

Aneheim

Dallas

Columbus

Clagary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Colorado

Phoenix (maybe)

Nashville (maybe)

For us to NOT make the playoffs, we have to be worse than 2 of these teams. I just don't see it

Looking at it that way it does make me feel better about our chances.

Though last season LA got the 8th seed with 95 points. The Wings finished the season with 102 points. If the conference is as tight again this year, it's scary to think how few games make the difference between getting into the playoffs and not.

It's why I get annoyed when the Wings would drop a game to a team they should beat, like the Islanders. Yes it's only one game in the middle of the season, but come the end of the year those points make a huge difference.

Looking at it that way it does make me feel better about our chances.

Though last season LA got the 8th seed with 95 points. The Wings finished the season with 102 points. If the conference is as tight again this year, it's scary to think how few games make the difference between getting into the playoffs and not.

It's why I get annoyed when the Wings would drop a game to a team they should beat, like the Islanders. Yes it's only one game in the middle of the season, but come the end of the year those points make a huge difference.

Agree, nothing worse than watching the Wings sleep through all games against Oil, Isles, Wild, Avs, and BJ. For years I've sworn they play up/down to their opponents.

That said, this is basically the same team as last year minus 2 of our best defenseman (one of which has driven both the offense and defense for 2 decades) and another year older. That could easily end in more than a 7 point drop.

Aneheim

Dallas

Columbus

Clagary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Colorado

Phoenix (maybe)

Nashville (maybe)

LA was 2 points shy of 3rd in the West because they played in a weak division.

This is what I see:

• Anaheim hasn't gotten any worse and two of their top 3 forwards are going to be in contract years. Expect them to make a harder push.
  • Dallas got better
  • Columbus...well...it's Columbus.
  • Calgary got Hudler :P
  • Edmonton is young but could surprise people.
  • Minnesota got way better
  • Colorado stayed mostly the same
  • Phoenix will get worse if they lose Doan
  • Nashville will probably be fine enough to get into the playoffs without Suter

Last year, the Central Division was mostly strong, with 4 out of 5 teams making the playoffs, all of which attaining over 100 points. Meaning we had to beat a lot of other teams in our conference and win a good portion of our non-conference games to make that 102 point total.

Breaking it down:

24 games played against division (6 games against each division team, 48 possible points)

40 games played against conference (4 games against each non-division team in the West, 80 possible points)

18 games played against East (at least 1 game against each team, three teams will be played twice, 36 possible points)

Since we got weaker and Chicago and St. Louis mostly stayed the same, we could expect to hopefully get around 20-30 points realistically within our division. Meaning at least 80 points need to come from our remaining 58 games in order to probably safely make the playoffs. We'd need to get 1.379 points per game against the rest of the West, which as a whole probably got better, and the East, which balanced itself out a bit.

I think it's going to be a little tougher than you think. Especially when you consider teams like Edmonton that might not necessarily have a shot at the playoffs next season (unless they surprise some people like I said), but they sure have a fun time spoiling our point-getting fun year after year. I just hope it doesn't come in abundance from teams that were mostly irrelevant last year.

Aneheim

Dallas

Columbus

Clagary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Colorado

Phoenix (maybe)

Nashville (maybe)

Not sure that (as the team sits now) I would give the Wings the edge against Minnie or Nashville. Edmonton one of these years will rock the west.

What scares me the most is that some of our more injury prone players go down this season (Z and Kronner) then look out!

Not sure that (as the team sits now) I would give the Wings the edge against Minnie or Nashville. Edmonton one of these years will rock the west.

What scares me the most is that some of our more injury prone players go down this season (Z and Kronner) then look out!

Agreed.

I think the Wings are still a playoff team, but one serious injury could change all that.

MLive reports Wings are out of the running for Doan. Get this: other teams offered more than the Wings were willing to go.

Holland was willing to offer 3 years 4.5-5 million. One Eastern team offered what looks like 7.5 million for 4 years. What the hell is wrong with GMs this year? I'd give him 7.5 for one year, but not for 4.

Guest The Axe

Jolly, agreed on doan and semin. But holland is a bum for losing out on suter & parise. That was the remedy to losing Lidstrom.

MLive reports Wings are out of the running for Doan. Get this: other teams offered more than the Wings were willing to go.

Holland was willing to offer 3 years 4.5-5 million. One Eastern team offered what looks like 7.5 million for 4 years. What the hell is wrong with GMs this year? I'd give him 7.5 for one year, but not for 4.

I'm glad we're not getting Doan. Great player but only helps the team for a few years. And I'd rather the Wings start looking for some longer term solutions considering Dats, Z and Mule are all in their early 30s.

As for GM's being bats*** crazy with UFAs, honestly I feel like we say that every offseason. The league is so competitive these days that if they want to sign a big name player as a free agent, I think they have to throw big money at them when they're available. And there's always a few teams with enough cap room to drive up market prices into the overpaid arena. They just hope that after the first couple seasons of overpayment it tilts in their favor.

I also have to wonder if GM's are throwing this money around and mentally knocking 10% of the price in a salary rollback they're planning on.

We're never going to sign a big-name player again.

With the state the FA market is now, that's probably not a bad thing. We'll just develop our own stars.

Doan Will NOT sign with Detroit

Obviously it's because Holland has lost his moxie, and Detroit is slipping as a UFA destination. :lol:

I feel so sorry for those of you who have only known the Wings of the last 20 years, but I'm going to try and talk you all off the ledge. Recent history has spoiled this fanbase beyond belief. no doubt, but just because we've hit a bump in the road doesn't mean we should just blow up JLA and ship our current roster off to the remaining 29 teams. We will be able to sign desirable free agents, we will do well in the draft, we just won't have the usual cakewalk to the playoffs. Now, sit down for this one: we may not even make the playoffs. You can either jump ship or take a Valium and wait for the season to begin and enjoy what you have taken for granted for so long.

$7.5 million for Doan is outrageous, and there's probably a GM out there who will give it to him.

And reports are now that it wasn't just one lone team that made that offer, it's what Doan's actually asking for. $7.5m a year for 4 years for 20 goals/50 points? I think Kenny's making the right call on dropping out of this sweepstakes. Better used for deadline acquisitions if there are any to be had & for re-signing the Wing's own UFAs/RFAs at the end of the season.

I feel so sorry for those of you who have only known the Wings of the last 20 years, but I'm going to try and talk you all off the ledge. Recent history has spoiled this fanbase beyond belief. no doubt, but just because we've hit a bump in the road doesn't mean we should just blow up JLA and ship our current roster off to the remaining 29 teams. We will be able to sign desirable free agents, we will do well in the draft, we just won't have the usual cakewalk to the playoffs. Now, sit down for this one: we may not even make the playoffs. You can either jump ship or take a Valium and wait for the season to begin and enjoy what you have taken for granted for so long.

Hear, hear. I got into the Wings in the late 80's so I really missed the worst of it, but if you want to talk futility & mismanagement...I'm a life-long Cubs fan. If anyone thinks this little blip on the radar this offseason or even the entire Dead Wings era is bad, none of this compares with what us Cubs fans go through year after year after year after year. Kenny missing out on his big targets or not electing to grossly overpay for talent this offseason? That's nothing...

Edited by ogreslayer