• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#321 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

No Doan. No Semin. No Nash. No Suter. No Parise. Probably no Ryan.

Hate to say it, but this team is one or two injuries away from that 21 year postseason streak ending

Unfortunately, that's about three or four injuries less than the Wings have averaged the last few seasons :P

#322 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

If dats goes down, playoff streak gone. Doan is not needed though.

#323 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Doan is going to command 5.5-6.5 million per year I think
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#324 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Doan is going to command 5.5-6.5 million per year I think

From the prices I have seen, I'm thinking its going to be closer to the 6.5 million mark. I for one don't want Doan locked up until 38 at close to 7 million per. I think thats WAY to high of a price for a 50 points guy. Yes he brings some pretty good intangibles but to me it isn't worth it.

I know this is going to seem like a farfetched comparison but we pay Filppula under 4 million who just reached 60+ points and is younger by a good margin. Although Filppula does not have the grit and toughness intangibles that Doan has. I would have to say that his defense game and 2 way play is a pretty big intangible in its self.

Doan is not worth the money cause he isn't a one year contract. Next season we will need money to Sign a 1-2 D man, Resign Filppula, Smith, Nyquist, White, and Kindl. Then we also have probably one of the biggest raises of next season in Jimmy Howard. I understand everyone wanted to Spend big on players but besides Suter we need to allow our kids to come up and also pay the players that deserve it. Filppula, Howard, and hopefully Smith and Nyquist.

#325 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

We should not sign doan. Hes not hossa.

#326 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Doan Will NOT sign with Detroit
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#327 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

The Wings were looking to make a deal for 3 years between 4.5 and 5 million a season.

He has an offer from an Eastern Conference team for 4 years at 7.5 a season.

At that price I'd pass too

#328 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

Looks like Doan is not coming to Detroit. Wings will not overpay him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#329 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

The Wings were looking to make a deal for 3 years between 4.5 and 5 million a season.

He has an offer from an Eastern Conference team for 4 years at 7.5 a season.

At that price I'd pass too

They were very right to pass, but I've been saying it for a while now. Doan will either go to Phoenix (not Detroit), the highest bidder (not Detroit), and/or a team with a legitimate chance at a cup in the next season or two (not Detroit). So why have we been waiting for three weeks?

Yandle or Ryan, while likely trading away way too many assets? "Dream until the dream is gone" 2012!

Edited by b.shanafan14, 27 July 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#330 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Looks like Doan is not coming to Detroit. Wings will not overpay him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with everyone on the sentiment that I wouldn't want to give a 35 year old forward that kind of term/cash.

BUT, when we're talking about the Wings not overpaying.....lets not forget, Holland did just give a Nashville scrub twice what Drew Miller makes with half the return. $1.9 million in healthy scratches? good god.....

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 27 July 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#331 Lifelong Wings Fan

Lifelong Wings Fan

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Red Wings appear to be out of the hunt for free-agent forward Shane Doan

http://www.mlive.com..._be_out_of.html

#332 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Kenny, you bum.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#333 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Do no want at $30 mil for 4 years.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#334 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

They were very right to pass, but I've been saying it for a while now. Doan will either go to Phoenix (not Detroit), the highest bidder (not Detroit), and/or a team with a legitimate chance at a cup in the next season or two (not Detroit). So why have we been waiting for three weeks?

Yandle or Ryan, while likely trading away way too many assets? "Dream until the dream is gone" 2012!

Did LA have a legitament chance at the Cup this year? Almost everybody that knows anything about hockey would say no. They had the lowest scoring team in the league and barely squeaked into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

All of this doom and gloom stuff is stupid. There are 7 teams in the west that will not make the playoffs. Most likely they are:

Aneheim
Dallas
Columbus
Clagary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Colorado
Phoenix (maybe)
Nashville (maybe)

For us to NOT make the playoffs, we have to be worse than 2 of these teams. I just don't see it
Do or do not. There is no try

#335 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

We have potential to be worse than minnesota, colorado, edmonton, nashville, dallas, and phoenix. I will concede columbus, calgary, and anaheim. With Parise and Suter, we would have been light years ahead of these teams.

#336 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,136 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Did LA have a legitament chance at the Cup this year? Almost everybody that knows anything about hockey would say no. They had the lowest scoring team in the league and barely squeaked into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

At the beginning of the season plenty of people had the Kings in the playoff, winning their division, and some had them making it to the conference and even Cup finals. They were a team that underachieved all season, but aren't really comparable to where the Wings are at.

All of this doom and gloom stuff is stupid. There are 7 teams in the west that will not make the playoffs. Most likely they are:

Aneheim
Dallas
Columbus
Clagary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Colorado
Phoenix (maybe)
Nashville (maybe)

For us to NOT make the playoffs, we have to be worse than 2 of these teams. I just don't see it

Looking at it that way it does make me feel better about our chances.

Though last season LA got the 8th seed with 95 points. The Wings finished the season with 102 points. If the conference is as tight again this year, it's scary to think how few games make the difference between getting into the playoffs and not.

It's why I get annoyed when the Wings would drop a game to a team they should beat, like the Islanders. Yes it's only one game in the middle of the season, but come the end of the year those points make a huge difference.

#337 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Looking at it that way it does make me feel better about our chances.

Though last season LA got the 8th seed with 95 points. The Wings finished the season with 102 points. If the conference is as tight again this year, it's scary to think how few games make the difference between getting into the playoffs and not.

It's why I get annoyed when the Wings would drop a game to a team they should beat, like the Islanders. Yes it's only one game in the middle of the season, but come the end of the year those points make a huge difference.

Agree, nothing worse than watching the Wings sleep through all games against Oil, Isles, Wild, Avs, and BJ. For years I've sworn they play up/down to their opponents.

That said, this is basically the same team as last year minus 2 of our best defenseman (one of which has driven both the offense and defense for 2 decades) and another year older. That could easily end in more than a 7 point drop.

#338 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Aneheim
Dallas
Columbus
Clagary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Colorado
Phoenix (maybe)
Nashville (maybe)

LA was 2 points shy of 3rd in the West because they played in a weak division.

This is what I see:
  • Anaheim hasn't gotten any worse and two of their top 3 forwards are going to be in contract years. Expect them to make a harder push.
  • Dallas got better
  • Columbus...well...it's Columbus.
  • Calgary got Hudler :P
  • Edmonton is young but could surprise people.
  • Minnesota got way better
  • Colorado stayed mostly the same
  • Phoenix will get worse if they lose Doan
  • Nashville will probably be fine enough to get into the playoffs without Suter
Last year, the Central Division was mostly strong, with 4 out of 5 teams making the playoffs, all of which attaining over 100 points. Meaning we had to beat a lot of other teams in our conference and win a good portion of our non-conference games to make that 102 point total.

Breaking it down:
24 games played against division (6 games against each division team, 48 possible points)
40 games played against conference (4 games against each non-division team in the West, 80 possible points)
18 games played against East (at least 1 game against each team, three teams will be played twice, 36 possible points)

Since we got weaker and Chicago and St. Louis mostly stayed the same, we could expect to hopefully get around 20-30 points realistically within our division. Meaning at least 80 points need to come from our remaining 58 games in order to probably safely make the playoffs. We'd need to get 1.379 points per game against the rest of the West, which as a whole probably got better, and the East, which balanced itself out a bit.

I think it's going to be a little tougher than you think. Especially when you consider teams like Edmonton that might not necessarily have a shot at the playoffs next season (unless they surprise some people like I said), but they sure have a fun time spoiling our point-getting fun year after year. I just hope it doesn't come in abundance from teams that were mostly irrelevant last year.

Posted Image

#339 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Well, he's talking to "No Money Bags" Jamison today.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#340 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Kenny, you bum.

lol because he didn't offer doan or semen 7 mil? Such bad contracts going around, you should be really ragging on other GMs, they are idiots.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter