• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#341 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Did LA have a legitament chance at the Cup this year? Almost everybody that knows anything about hockey would say no. They had the lowest scoring team in the league and barely squeaked into the playoffs as a #8 seed.

All of this doom and gloom stuff is stupid. There are 7 teams in the west that will not make the playoffs. Most likely they are:

Aneheim
Dallas
Columbus
Clagary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Colorado
Phoenix (maybe)
Nashville (maybe)

For us to NOT make the playoffs, we have to be worse than 2 of these teams. I just don't see it

Not sure that (as the team sits now) I would give the Wings the edge against Minnie or Nashville. Edmonton one of these years will rock the west.
What scares me the most is that some of our more injury prone players go down this season (Z and Kronner) then look out!

#342 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Not sure that (as the team sits now) I would give the Wings the edge against Minnie or Nashville. Edmonton one of these years will rock the west.
What scares me the most is that some of our more injury prone players go down this season (Z and Kronner) then look out!

Agreed.

I think the Wings are still a playoff team, but one serious injury could change all that.

#343 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

MLive reports Wings are out of the running for Doan. Get this: other teams offered more than the Wings were willing to go.

Holland was willing to offer 3 years 4.5-5 million. One Eastern team offered what looks like 7.5 million for 4 years. What the hell is wrong with GMs this year? I'd give him 7.5 for one year, but not for 4.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#344 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Jolly, agreed on doan and semin. But holland is a bum for losing out on suter & parise. That was the remedy to losing Lidstrom.

#345 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

$7.5 million for Doan is outrageous, and there's probably a GM out there who will give it to him.

#346 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

MLive reports Wings are out of the running for Doan. Get this: other teams offered more than the Wings were willing to go.

Holland was willing to offer 3 years 4.5-5 million. One Eastern team offered what looks like 7.5 million for 4 years. What the hell is wrong with GMs this year? I'd give him 7.5 for one year, but not for 4.

I'm glad we're not getting Doan. Great player but only helps the team for a few years. And I'd rather the Wings start looking for some longer term solutions considering Dats, Z and Mule are all in their early 30s.

As for GM's being bats*** crazy with UFAs, honestly I feel like we say that every offseason. The league is so competitive these days that if they want to sign a big name player as a free agent, I think they have to throw big money at them when they're available. And there's always a few teams with enough cap room to drive up market prices into the overpaid arena. They just hope that after the first couple seasons of overpayment it tilts in their favor.

I also have to wonder if GM's are throwing this money around and mentally knocking 10% of the price in a salary rollback they're planning on.

#347 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Jolly, agreed on doan and semin. But holland is a bum for losing out on suter & parise. That was the remedy to losing Lidstrom.

they also got ridiculous contracts although there is a 10% chance they might live up to them.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#348 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

We're never going to sign a big-name player again.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#349 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

We're never going to sign a big-name player again.

With the state the FA market is now, that's probably not a bad thing. We'll just develop our own stars.

Doan Will NOT sign with Detroit

Obviously it's because Holland has lost his moxie, and Detroit is slipping as a UFA destination. :lol:

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#350 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I feel so sorry for those of you who have only known the Wings of the last 20 years, but I'm going to try and talk you all off the ledge. Recent history has spoiled this fanbase beyond belief. no doubt, but just because we've hit a bump in the road doesn't mean we should just blow up JLA and ship our current roster off to the remaining 29 teams. We will be able to sign desirable free agents, we will do well in the draft, we just won't have the usual cakewalk to the playoffs. Now, sit down for this one: we may not even make the playoffs. You can either jump ship or take a Valium and wait for the season to begin and enjoy what you have taken for granted for so long.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#351 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

$7.5 million for Doan is outrageous, and there's probably a GM out there who will give it to him.

And reports are now that it wasn't just one lone team that made that offer, it's what Doan's actually asking for. $7.5m a year for 4 years for 20 goals/50 points? I think Kenny's making the right call on dropping out of this sweepstakes. Better used for deadline acquisitions if there are any to be had & for re-signing the Wing's own UFAs/RFAs at the end of the season.

I feel so sorry for those of you who have only known the Wings of the last 20 years, but I'm going to try and talk you all off the ledge. Recent history has spoiled this fanbase beyond belief. no doubt, but just because we've hit a bump in the road doesn't mean we should just blow up JLA and ship our current roster off to the remaining 29 teams. We will be able to sign desirable free agents, we will do well in the draft, we just won't have the usual cakewalk to the playoffs. Now, sit down for this one: we may not even make the playoffs. You can either jump ship or take a Valium and wait for the season to begin and enjoy what you have taken for granted for so long.

Hear, hear. I got into the Wings in the late 80's so I really missed the worst of it, but if you want to talk futility & mismanagement...I'm a life-long Cubs fan. If anyone thinks this little blip on the radar this offseason or even the entire Dead Wings era is bad, none of this compares with what us Cubs fans go through year after year after year after year. Kenny missing out on his big targets or not electing to grossly overpay for talent this offseason? That's nothing...

Edited by ogreslayer, 27 July 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#352 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

Don't want at $7.5 mill/yr for 4 ... next please. Don't blame Holland one bit. If he offered $4.5-5 per, that's about what Doan is worth. Maybe because he saw Semin with $7mill for a year and thinks he can cash in. Ridiculous demand.

#353 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

He's nuts if he thinks we are going to pay that much for him. Just not our year boys, we'll get'em next time.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#354 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

So a lazy,skinny boy Semin has guts to sign another 1y contract and yet big power forward Doan insists on 4y/7.5mil per at the age of 36 :lol:

what a circus...

#355 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

I thought it had gotten to the point where it cannot get even more preposterous. i was wrong, very wrong - Doan demanded 4-year/$30mil contract...

#356 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,641 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well, if Doan is out...now what? We already know (even though it will be for the better of the team) that Holland WILL NOT acquire Bobby Ryan...he has to re-sign Abby and figure out who he is losing up front. Quincey was our big acquisition and even thought the off season started out nice with some role players, Holland has failed on all accounts to keep this team a legit contender...he refuses to outbid anyone or make the sacrifice's needed to better his team (Yandle.) The new Wings logo is "Wiz was right..."

I know these guys are getting overpaid, but sometimes you just have to do just that to win...

Edited by LeftWinger, 27 July 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#357 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

vladdy 100% agree with your post.. I remember the dead wings of the 70's, some fans just don''t know how good they have it.

#358 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Holland is going to have to find that forward or defenseman that is under the radar who will have a break out season next year and maybe make a trade for that player. This is the only sensible way to get a solid good player, free agency is stupid ridiculous.

#359 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well, if Doan is out...now what? We already know (even though it will be for the better of the team) that Holland WILL NOT acquire Bobby Ryan...he has to re-sign Abby and figure out who he is losing up front. Quincey was our big acquisition and even thought the off season started out nice with some role players, Holland has failed on all accounts to keep this team a legit contender...he refuses to outbid anyone or make the sacrifice's needed to better his team (Yandle.) The new Wings logo is "Wiz was right..."

I know these guys are getting overpaid, but sometimes you just have to do just that to win...

$30m/4y for a player of Doan's caliber and age would be unforgivably stupid, regardless of the circumstances. I realize you want your toys now, but the future must be considered as well.

It should be noted yet again that Yandle would cost an arm and a leg. There is absolutely no assurance that he could be had for any reasonable price. As such, a trade for him could very well do more harm than good. It should also be noted that Yandle is no replacement for Lidstrom. He is excellent offensively but mediocre defensively. Coyotes fans will admit as much.

So a lazy,skinny boy Semin has guts to sign another 1y contract and yet big power forward Doan insists on 4y/7.5mil per at the age of 36 :lol:

what a circus...

Guts had nothing to do with Semin's decision. I get the feeling that he simply wasn't offered a multi-year deal at any substantial price by anyone. Rutherford openly said that he wouldn't have risked bringing in Semin on a long-term contract.

I'm glad we're not getting Doan. Great player but only helps the team for a few years.

He's also a power forward, and those do not age well.

Edited by Crymson, 27 July 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#360 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Guts had nothing to do with Semin's decision. I get the feeling that he simply wasn't offered a multi-year deal at any substantial price by anyone. Rutherford openly said that he wouldn't have risked bringing in Semin on a long-term contract.

He's been criticized by coaches,GM's,fans and media and still took short term contract in the NHL,rather than big $$$ in Russia.
Should give some credit to the bongo guy :lol:

Oh and I'm definitely looking forward to see the Canes game with Pierre or Crawford doing "between the benches" stuff,should be interesting :w00t2:

Edited by pucktividi, 27 July 2012 - 06:12 PM.