• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#361 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

vladdy 100% agree with your post.. I remember the dead wings of the 70's, some fans just don''t know how good they have it.

My dad told me in the late 70's early 80's the Red Wings were called the Detroit Chicken Wings. Cause we were a bunch of *******. Maybe things haven't changed? :P

Nah like I said pipe dream for Doan.

Can Phoenix afford to sign him to a 4 year 30 million deal? If so HOW?

#362 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

That much money for a "character player"?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#363 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Anyone who gives Doan 30mil over 4 years is a moron. He's 37 years old and good for 50ish points right now. That deal's going to look Gomez bad in a few years.

The most I'd offer him is 5 mil a year for 3 years... and that's overpaying for the last year of the deal but worth it given the market right now.

7.5 million a year for a Doan from agest 37-41 is laughable.

$7.5 million for Doan is outrageous, and there's probably a GM out there who will give it to him.

And that's exactly what's wrong with the league today. It all started with the foolish bidding from Philly and NYR back when Gomez and Drury went to market.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#364 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Frick Doan! You want someone who is gonna help? Call Arnott... (not that we need another forward now anyhow...Just go with the three we already signed...Brunner, Tootoo, Sammy and call it.)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#365 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Apperantly Doan is looking for a 4 year 30 million dollar type of deal. Sad ... even at age 35 he still thinking $$$ not cups. If I'm him I'd sign with a favor to win the cup for cheaper. I guess him leaving 'Yotes proves what type of player he is!

#366 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Does anyone here think he is worth 4 years and $30 million? I certainly don't. Especially with the CBA expiring.

Edited by Nightfall, 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#367 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Does anyone here think he is worth 4 years and $30 million? I certainly don't. Especially with the CBA expiring.

I would if he wasn't over 35. He has a very big piece that not many can bring to teams, and that's heart. The man is a captain's captain. He knows how to motivate and ignite a team (cue the 1st round exit jokes). We'll find out what is his true motivation though. If he signs with a team big money style, we know he didn't care about a cup. If he takes a smaller contract inorder to go to a contender in hopes of finishing his career with a cup under his belt, we know he just wanted a cup win. He can bring a lot to the table, but unfortunately a multi-year year at that much for a player his age is just downright outrageous. I think this is all a big show in order to get him a big contract with Phx though.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#368 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Apperantly Doan is looking for a 4 year 30 million dollar type of deal. Sad ... even at age 35 he still thinking $$$ not cups. If I'm him I'd sign with a favor to win the cup for cheaper. I guess him leaving 'Yotes proves what type of player he is!

A big assumption here. ^ It is quite possible that he wants big money ON a cup contending team. Also, let's say he signed with the Oiler's (not a cup contender) for a lot of money....there is nothing wrong with that; believe it or not, most hockey players are in it for the money in addition to the prestige - it's called a job. Good for Doan if he can get a team to pay him big. That being said, my bet would be that he ends up on a cup contender *and* gets paid well.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 30 July 2012 - 12:30 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#369 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Doan is 35 not 37. He will likely sign with the Rangers. Why wouldn't he?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#370 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

Anyone who gives Doan 30mil over 4 years is a moron. He's 37 years old and good for 50ish points right now. That deal's going to look Gomez bad in a few years.

The most I'd offer him is 5 mil a year for 3 years... and that's overpaying for the last year of the deal but worth it given the market right now.

And that's exactly what's wrong with the league today. It all started with the foolish bidding from Philly and NYR back when Gomez and Drury went to market.

His 35 bud but even so it depends on his proformance is he worth it for 4 years? i dont think so but to another team im sure he is and will benfit i think he will resign with phx though

Edited by sjr2012, 31 July 2012 - 02:48 AM.

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#371 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

We don't like old guys on the Wings, never have.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#372 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Interesting.. Thought we were out on doan because price was too high or whatever but....

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings are still waiting on Shane Doan. Wings GM Ken Holland has spoken with Doan and agent Terry Bross numerous times this month. The Wings won’t give Doan a deal where he becomes the highest paid player on the team.

Sounds unlikely that we sign him so if that's the case, why are we waiting on him?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#373 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Interesting.. Thought we were out on doan because price was too high or whatever but....

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings are still waiting on Shane Doan. Wings GM Ken Holland has spoken with Doan and agent Terry Bross numerous times this month. The Wings won't give Doan a deal where he becomes the highest paid player on the team.

Sounds unlikely that we sign him so if that's the case, why are we waiting on him?

Because it's bad business to burn bridges, especially if there is still a chance to sign him. I am thinking those rumors last week about him wanting big money on any other team than Phx were overblown nonsense. I think his Agent might have even refuted that statement.

There are no other offensive player to be had in UFA now.... so of course we're waiting on him. We probably have an offer out to him, so that would be why we're waiting. It doesn't mean we're waiting on and not doing anything else.

Holland is working on the defense I'm sure. Either trade route (Yandle or Bouwmeester) or UFA (Colaiacovo, Vandermeer, Rozsival, Kubina, etc.)

#374 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Because it's bad business to burn bridges, especially if there is still a chance to sign him. I am thinking those rumors last week about him wanting big money on any other team than Phx were overblown nonsense. I think his Agent might have even refuted that statement.

There are no other offensive player to be had in UFA now.... so of course we're waiting on him. We probably have an offer out to him, so that would be why we're waiting. It doesn't mean we're waiting on and not doing anything else.

Holland is working on the defense I'm sure. Either trade route (Yandle or Bouwmeester) or UFA (Colaiacovo, Vandermeer, Rozsival, Kubina, etc.)

Yea that's a good point. I just thought I remembered reading someone say "wings are out on doan, price too high" but if we have an offer on the table then were not out until doan tells us we are..

Idk, I'm not the biggest doan fan so I won't be upset if he goes elsewhere but he would help this team so either way, I'm fine with it.

Agreed though, that Kenny is most definitely working on the d situation. Personally I'd love to see a trade for yandle and a signed kubina.. Pretty sure we'll at least sign one of the UFAs you listed later in the off season at a bargain for our bottom pair. If we don't trade for a d man now, I'd expect it at the deadline..

Only time will tell so we'll see. I'm still stoked for this season no matter what happens.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#375 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Doan is 35 not 37. He will likely sign with the Rangers. Why wouldn't he?

I could name a few possible reasons...

- He doesn't want to move that far away from his home / farm / family in Phoenix.
- He doesn't want to change conferences.
- He doesn't want to live in New York.

_

Who knows if those are factors, but they could be for all we know.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 31 July 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#376 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

I could name a few possible reasons...

- He doesn't want to move that far away from his home / farm / family in Phoenix.
- He doesn't want to change conferences.
- He doesn't want to live in New York.

_

Who knows if those are factors, but they could be for all we know.

Winning a Stanley Cup is a good reason but hey that's just me.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#377 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

I dont know how to feel about this one. Doan would be awesome and given thats our move we front load the s*** out of the deal not handcuffing Kenny from other moves in the remaining three years. Again I am still on the fence about ridiculous six million is for a player like Doan, and everyone says he's a 50 points guy? I swear even at 35 here he would be well over 60, last year a slow year for him.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#378 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

i really just don't care anymore.
Posted Image

#379 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Winning a Stanley Cup is a good reason but hey that's just me.

For sure... and I would have mentioned that had you asked "why would he? [sign with the Rangers]" ....but you actually asked "Why wouldn't he? [sign with the Rangers]"... to which I gave several plausible reasons.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 31 July 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#380 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I saw the following headline at AZ Central:

Coyotes free agent Shane Doan talks with potential buyer Greg Jamison

Why isn't he talking to the real owner(s)?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.